SAB 6: as much fun as Windows at its worst. [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SAB 6: as much fun as Windows at its worst. [Solved]

Postby halcyon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 20:29

Sad to say I posted "solved" a little prematurely. All seemed fine, except for the guake warning. I switched on this evening, logged in to find 171 updates, then the splash screen froze before I did anything else,so no desktop. I opened terminal, logged in, and did "equo upgrade", and "equo conf update", reboot, logged in and was back at the splash screen without desktop. Any suggestions?
halcyon
Young Hen

Postby genfool » Thu Jul 14, 2011 20:56

CRAP!!!
Sorry, had to say it, I feel for you. I just went back searching, did not see what de you are using, kde or gnome or other?
I see guake and think gnome, but the issue may be actually kde.
Can you post back what de you are using? sorry if you already posted it.
Any time after big updates, I like to run a couple test and see if anything got missed.
Code: Select all
equo deptest && equo libtest

This will find missing apps and install them for you.
I am interested in knowing what de you have and will search this thread more.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby halcyon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 21:17

Using Kde at the moment. Message about guake has gone now, replaced by one about "Gnome power manager not properly installed". I am running equo deptest... now. Should I note anything special?
All done, rebooted, no change, no desktop. Should I perhaps try to choose another desktop at login?

Fluxbox worked; tried Gnome, no good;Kde gives "Guake can not init!" "have you installed guake.schemas properly?" plus 2 panels for ram and disk space. But I do have a desktop.....for now.
halcyon
Young Hen

Postby genfool » Fri Jul 15, 2011 0:03

Glad you have patience :D

only thing to watch on dep and libtest, does it install anything? A normal system will have nothing to install.
libtest will take about twenty min to complete, sometimes looks like it stalled, just let it run.

You say that you are in kde, that gnome would not load? not sure I understand.
Without a log or error message, we helping can only guess to the issue :mrgreen:

My guess is, if gnome does not start, it needs gtk, and sometimes gtk simply does not upgrade as it should.
If you open a root terminal, enter the command
sulfur

Does it give gtk errors? sulfur also relies on gtk and is a simple test.

If you are willing to learn, seems you are. I can help with most of the basic stuff like this, while others are more qualified then I am. I have used sabayon since 3.4, I am just familiar with the quirks a gentoo system offers. can fix most with little help after I asked and learned a bit.
I started with 3.4, was not till 4.0 I started asking for help, that is when I started learning.
Anyways, if you get gtk errors
equo install pygtk

Without your error, only a guess.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby halcyon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:40

Yes, deptest did install something, but as it was about 10 hours ago I forget what :oops:
sulfur command lists "GTK warning:could not open display"
equo install pygtk does not change result.
Thanks for trying.Got to go for now.
halcyon
Young Hen

Postby micia » Fri Jul 15, 2011 19:04

Sounds to me the same issue as:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=24654
it was solved with an update today:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=24654&start=20#p137625

But I use Gnome, and I had not a single issue with recent updates...
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby genfool » Fri Jul 15, 2011 19:53

Since this is general discussion, even though this post was probably put in wrong section and marked solved.
I would like to add.
Their were actually two bugs fixed in this thread, first it was the nvidia-driver bug.
Sabayon did not create it, is affecting other distros as well, lxnay worked hard on it and fixed it for sabayon as soon as it was a known issue, passed the problem with a cure upstream.

And then kde 4.6.5 was released, works perfect for most people, but was buggy for a few, as in this case.
There was a release of new updates yesterday my time, this morning, again sabayon had them and another non sabayon bug is fixed.

It takes active developers and the energy of young kids to stay on top of this, this old man can appreciate the energy and passion needed to maintain this level of service.

Any distro can and will get bugs, a new car or appliance can be broke, a hard drive can be doa, how these problems are solved, determines if you would do business with that company again.
As much as I hate to see sabayon get hit with two bugs back to back, It only reassures me, why I have been using sabayon.

I tip my hat once again to the developers, and all the volunteers involved.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby halcyon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 21:19

Re: Genfool.
I guess you are probably right. Even Lexus/Toyota make a mistake occasionally :wink:
But there is a lot to be said for the steady, sagely hand staying the impetuous energy of youth and making for less work in the end. I think my best solution would be to get a discrete graphics card that is known to work well; or start a new build to update me.
It has been a hard road but hopefully I'm working now. I am going to play with this machine , not do anything important, for a while, just to be on the safe side. Maybe go back to normal when the Nvidia driver gets fixed.

Re:Micia I have rarely had any problems using Gnome desktop on any system, so maybe it is my hardware or, as suggested, something to do with KDE.

Thanks to both of you. Not a pleasure having to ask for help, but a pleasure to receive it from you two. Good luck.
halcyon
Young Hen

Postby tonyawards » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:34

This thread, which I don't currently have an issue with (although I did have the 275 nvidia driver bug until lxnay fixed it for everyone, not just SL 8) ) had me reading from start to here, and I just have to say - this is one huge reason why I stay with sabayon and learn.

I have seen and participated in a lot of other forums on linux and whoknowswhat, and I never see the kind of help and useful advice that micia and genfool just gave. (And let's not forget Fitzcarraldo, joost, joeoden, ReemZ, and so many more - ya knowz who y'are :wink: .) Those posts and the debugging thought that went into them take time and energy+, and though all this knowledgeable help is free, I am aware it doesn't come cheap.

Anyway, I just wanted to give my two-cents for what it's worth. And when I have more I'll donate that gladly. Best distro (yes, lxnay :D ) and best community I've seen. Period.
SL Version: XI+, just rollin' along / Kernel 3.8.3 | KDE 4.10.1 | HP dv6000z | AMD Turion64 MK-36 | 2GB RAM | nVidia GeForce 6150
tonyawards
Growing Hen

About that issue you got, halycon

Postby BlackNoxis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 22:02

@ halycon I know your issue, happened to have the same issue lately but I solved the problem purging and reinstalling all of my X11 and xorg drivers, X server & all of it. You may not have the normal Xorg.conf like all of us, or Xorg doesn't recognize your Xorg.conf because of the wrong path or not-set path, that I am not quite sure of. But the sollution is to purge all X11 and X, Xorg server/drivers and reinstall them one by one. (Personal note : if you are not sure of some things there, try to compile them yourself to see for yourself where exactly your X server fails). Other problems may be that Xorg may not recognize your mouse, touchpad, keyboard, try to reinstall all of them after you compile the kernel "in the spirit of the individual" so you may have all you need. I acknowledged that your system is a bit old or not quite "in peace" with the current sabayon, but try to understand that if all others can, you can also do it. Your real problem is the grade of tolerance between your system and the driver and compiled system, sometimes sabayon (or any other system) makes errors in writing not always the good thing in already compiled programs (last week I lost all of my yahoo protocols because of an update, recompiled pidgin and reestablished my yahoo protocol, hard uh ? ), that may be the same problem with your system.

Try to take them one by one, and understand that if your system still acknowledges your off-desktop xterm, then all could be saved, and learn that if your system STILL responds to your equo, .configure, .make and so on, your system is healthy ! It just needs a bit of recompilation or purging / re-installation between the X server and X drivers (vesa, nv, vga, etc) and do NOT forget : try to make your own sabayon kernel compiling it from the bottom to the top.

If you would like, I would show you here and make you understand all of the system's problems regarding X failures and known issues, just reply here :D
BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion