SAB 6: as much fun as Windows at its worst. [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SAB 6: as much fun as Windows at its worst.

Postby micia » Tue Jul 12, 2011 23:27

I would not call it a quirk, it is just a convention they choose :mrgreen:

You can easily avoid those errors using bash autocompletion, pressing tab,
for example:
Code: Select all
cd /usr/<Tab><Tab>
bin/                 lib32/               sbin/
doc/                 lib64/               share/
games/               libexec/             src/
include/             local/               tmp/
info/                man/                 X11R6/
.keep                portage/             x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/
lib/                 qt/       

I pressed Tab twice since the command could not be autocompleted, if I enter:
cd /usr/b<Tab>

I get:
cd /usr/bin
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby halcyon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:32

OK folks , everything seems good now, though I am not sure how it was achieved. I would like to understand more of the process :? Even in a limited way. One hundred thousand thankyous to all. Good night and good wishes.
halcyon
Young Hen

Postby throdon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:38

genfool wrote:Just wanted to add my two cents, linux is case sensitive, in this command
nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
X11 is a capitol X, not a small x
If you are using a small x, nano will still open the file, since it does not exist, it will be empty.

I learned about case sensitivity and spelling during a gentoo install, nothing like mispelling something and nano gives you a blank document.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby cmost » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:38

I'm sorry you're having so many "problems" with Sabayon. Sadly, I suspect operator error. I've been running Sabayon for nearly 2 years and I've not yet had to re-install it from scratch. Keep in mind that I've been upgrading since KDE 4.3 and now I have the latest KDE 4.6.5. I've been running Linux (Debian or it's derivatives mostly) for eight years running. I started with KDE 3.x and switched to Gnome 2.14 once KDE 4 it the scenes and I didn't prefer it. I like rolling releases versus distros that produce new versions at regular intervals. I"ve not encountered any problems that have been unsolvable via these forums or Google. My advice to you is to not give up. You're expecting things to work like Windows and Linux isn't Windows. You can either continue to be a slave to Microsoft and Windows and keep forking over good money after bad for each successive version in the hopes it's the pinacle, or, you can take control of your own computer(s) and learn to live free and experience the power that is truly open source and Linux! There isn't anything I can't do with my Sabayon system that I could do with Windows (save for Netflix, LOL!) Freedom isn't free in a sense that you get to sit back and not do anything. Freedom requires that you to put in the work needed to learn a little here and there about your computer and the OS you're running. Part of your problem is that your hardware isn't fully supported. If you're not willing to do the basics, then your only alternative is to continue to be a slave to proprietary software and its proprietors; after all, that's what you're paying them for, no? The downside is you'll get what they give you and have little to no say in the process. That being said, no OS is perfect. Windows is far from perfect; OS X and iOS are far from perfect. At least with Linux and FOSS you have the freedom to choose and to participate in the process. :D
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Postby halcyon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:30

Re:cmost,
I note your comments. I keep a machine with dual boot XP and Linux, but seldom use XP. Linux systems of different flavours do just about anything I ever need; sometimes it need a little work :wink: I agree with you (and others in this forum) that no OS is perfect; much depends on your user needs. Some Linux systems I happily install on old PCs for older people or folk with limited requirements, because they "just work" and do not cause all the headaches Windows brings to users with no Knowledge. Sabayon is not one of those. I like it for it's stability and security, but when it goes wrong I am at a loss. I work through the Forum, etc. but sometimes the instructions are alien to me as my skill and knowledge is just a little above basic. There was a comment made early in this post that I was complaining and not constructive; fair comment. Can I try to redress that with a suggestion: When giving aid in the forum, assume at first (until shown otherwise) that the user has absolutely NO knowledge. Make instructions painfully simple. I, and most "ordinary" users have little or no knowledge of bash, rpm, command line, but are willing to learn and follow instructions.
I like to promote Linux , especially to folk who want something simple, but if you confront someone with a black screen there are a lot of Windows fans out there ready to jump in with "advice" and make some money by installing a MS OS for people who don't know any better.

Re: Micia,
What exactly was the fix? I went through so many instructions over days that I am not sure. Was it an install of a Nvidia driver fix, or purely a problem caused by me missing a big X?
halcyon
Young Hen

Postby micia » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:54

In the forums we usually assume that the user has no or little knowledge, but our community is quite small and sometimes we are in a rush to help most users out (and to do our everyday business), so it could happen that some points in the help procedure are left without explainations, assuming that the user "knows them", this is why I suggest to ask for explainations if something is not clear (as you are doing now) :mrgreen:
We have also a section dedicated to beginners for that purpose, let's say, we try to provide as much explainations as we can, but it is not always easy :)

I posted 2 procedures:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=24610&start=10#p137392
and
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=24610&start=10#p137444

which one worked for you, so that I can explain it?
micia
Sagely Hen

Re: SAB 6: as much fun as Windows at its worst.Solved

Postby halcyon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 16:36

The second one got me back working, but, was that a fix to a problem I caused myself earlier when trying to roll back to the older Nvidia driver? Did the nvidia driver get fixed at source and uploaded, so it installed when I did the update? I intend to do some work to familiarize myself with the "meanings" of some basic instructions, breaking them into little steps so I get a better idea of what the instruction means, but in the meantime, all help is good.
halcyon
Young Hen

Postby micia » Wed Jul 13, 2011 18:05

If that is the case, for some reason the xorg.conf file was deleted from your system.
Try this way:

here I didn't think, as genfool did, that you made a mistake writing the path, so I assumed that your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file did not exist anymore, so it had to be recreated from scratch.
The xorg.conf file tells to the Linux GUI (the X Server) which drivers have to be used, which screens are available and such configurations. So it is an important file, a mistake in this file could lead to the impossibility to launch your GUI, as you have experienced yourself.

1) update the Nvidia drivers:
equo install nvidia-drivers

here I suggested you to install the latest version of your drivers, since the downgrade was not necessary. In your scenario, downgrading the driver could have been worse, since if you have a relatively recent card, the older drivers could very well not support it.
equo install nvidia-drivers will download and install the latest nvidia drivers available for Sabayon.

2) regenerate your xorg.conf:
nvidia-xconfig -o /etc/X11/xorg.conf --no-use-events

here I suggested you to use nvidia-xconfig to generate a new xorg.conf file, each proprietary driver have its own utility to generate a new xorg.conf file, this comes in handy in such cases.
The command I suggested you to run creates a new xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, you can customize the output path since you may not want to overwrite your existing configuration. The --no-use-events tells to disable the UseEvents feature of the drivers, since that feature is most likely the responsible of your initial problem. The new drivers have a bug that has been discovered just recently and reported to nvidia so that it can be taken care of.
For now we can just "fix" the problem this way.
To get more informations on this utility, run from a console:
man nvidia-xconfig

3) ensure that the nvidia proprietary drivers are selected:
eselect opengl set nvidia

This is just an additional step to be sure that you have set the nvidia drivers as your current OpenGL implementation. Since you can have multiple drivers in your system at the same time (Open Source, nvidia, ATI, etc...) you can also have multiple OpenGL implementations (one or more for each driver).
This command helps you to choose one of them.
You can see all the available OpenGL implementations on your system using:
eselect opengl list

Obviously you have to use an implementation that matches your current driver, you can't use the ATI OpenGL if you are using the nvidia drivers, otherwise you could get a black screen.
micia
Sagely Hen

Re: SAB 6: as much fun as Windows at its worst. [Solved]

Postby genfool » Wed Jul 13, 2011 18:13

here I didn't think, as genfool did, that you made a mistake writing the path, so I assumed that your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file did not exist anymore, so it had to be recreated from scratch.

You spell better then I do, I see the error all the time :mrgreen:
genfool
Technological Hen

Re: SAB 6: as much fun as Windows at its worst. [Solved]

Postby halcyon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 18:27

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. Micia's explanation was crystal. I am going to copy and store it as a starting point in my education. :D
halcyon
Young Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion