problems with kmail2 & kontact after 4.6.4 upgrade [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

problems with kmail2 & kontact after 4.6.4 upgrade [Solved]

Postby sedo_5 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 14:40

Hi everyone!
I'm facing a problem with the new version of kdepim, after the upgrade to kde 4.6.4 on my sabayon kde , which contains the new kmail2!
I've read a lot of posts but still haven't found anything resolutive...
I'll try to describe my problem and my partial solutions:

After the upgrade the migrating advice pops up, everything seems to go straight, migrating successfully completes...but when i launch kontact (or also kmail standalone) it returns me an error and it shuts down.
Trying to launch it from the terminal gives me:
Code: Select all
kmail2(17625)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "" with KXMLGUIFactory!
kmail2(17625)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "" with KXMLGUIFactory!
kmail2(17625)/libakonadi Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJob::slotResult: Failed SpecialCollectionsRequestJob::slotResult "Errore sconosciuto. (Recupero della collezione di risorse non riuscito.)"
kmail2(17625) MailCommon::Kernel::emergencyExit: "L'esecuzione di KMail verrà terminata a causa di un problema.
L'errore è:
Recupero della collezione di risorse non riuscito."
kmail2(17625)/libakonadi Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJob::slotResult: Failed SpecialCollectionsRequestJob::slotResult "Errore sconosciuto. (Recupero della collezione di risorse non riuscito.)"
kmail2(17625) MailCommon::Kernel::emergencyExit: "L'esecuzione di KMail verrà terminata a causa di un problema.
L'errore è:
kmail2(17625)/libakonadi Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJobPrivate::resourceScanResult: Failed to request resource "akonadi_maildir_resource_0" : "Errore sconosciuto. (Recupero della collezione di risorse non riuscito.)"
L'errore è:
kmail2(17625)/libakonadi Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJobPrivate::resourceScanResult: Failed to request resource "akonadi_maildir_resource_0" : "Errore sconosciuto. (Recupero della collezione di risorse non riuscito.)"
L'errore è:
L'errore è:
L'errore è:                                                                                                                                             

(sorry but my sistem is set to italian language; the main error translates so: "Unable to recovery resources collection")

Searching for similar issues, i've found a useful trick (link: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=259355 ) and i finally managed to get kontact (and kmail2) working and managed to get rid of that error.
As suggested from the link above, i've installed akonady console and i've set the maildir folder in akonadi's "local folders" manually, giving the path of my kmail v1 mail folder (of course i made a backup before). This led to the conversion of all the mail files. Unfortunately, now i have an unique inbox folder, practically i've lost all of my settings (filters, spam filters, folders, now all the mails are packed inside the inbox folder)...obviously i don't have the time to edit all the settings from scratch! Another thing i noticed is that now the mail files are in the "old" kmail folder (that's because i selected that as my mail directory in akonadi console), and the kmail2 folder is empty!
In the kde forum someone suggested me to use another akonadi resource, named 'kmail dir' (or similar): it managed to get all my email tree back, with all of my old subfolders...but it stored them in a subfolder of the kmail tree, like as if i imported them (so now i should move them exactly where i'd like them to stay and recreate the filters).

Previously i had some problems with all of kontact programs (i constantly use kaddressbook, korganize (diary, things to do, calendar...), knotes, kjots, akregator. Fortunately o managed to solve all these problems, except from kjots!
I cannot import in any way the old notes i wrote in kjots: under .kde/share/apps/kjots there are the .book files, but it cannot read them, even if i modify the akonadi resorces..

Long story short: the main problems remain:
- the use of kmail: i want it to behave exactly as kmail 1 did, with all its previous settings!
- restore kjots notes

Can you give me some help, please?

Thanks you all in advance!
Cheers

update: i realize i cannot send emails! it says thet there's not a proper folder for the sending queue.
Last edited by sedo_5 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
sedo_5
Growing Hen

Re: problems with kmail2 and kontact after 4.6.4 upgrade

Postby sedo_5 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04

I'm updating this thread just to let you know that I partially solved my problem (after kde 4.7.0 upgrade most of the bugs went away). Now kmail2 is usable, let's hope it will soon improve in the next releases.

Here's the link at the kde forum discussion where I describe how I solved my problems.
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=95870

Anyway, as also written there, some doubt remains:

Now the only two doubts are:
- kmail2 has a bug, detecting a conflict on most of the incoming email, without any reason...and sometimes it stucks and i have to launch it again: i've read a kde bug list and I think that this problem is going to be solved in the next version (so let's say I will wait)
- where the hell does kmail2 store its emails? it must be a maildir folder type, right? (so with "cur", "tmp" and "new" subfolders, but under ~/.local/share/local-mail there is NOTHING!!!), does it maybe store them under the akonadi database (so not a normal and explorable folder as before)??? if so, i imagine i shall just make an akonadi backup instead of a normal folder backup, in case I should backup my emails, and it also means that I can delete my old kmail1 folder?!...an help on this would be appreciated!

Hope this helps, Bye
Renzo
sedo_5
Growing Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion