How to intall an aplicattion ?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

How to intall an aplicattion ?

Postby kromakey » Mon Dec 04, 2006 15:32

Hello ,

I am a newbie in Linux , can you please teach how to install nero or other aplication ?
I have it in a folder , but I do not know how to proceed .

could not find the search option in this forum , to search similar threads.

B. Regards

Luis
kromakey
Baby Hen

Postby thecdn » Mon Dec 04, 2006 15:42

I'm not much further along than you, especially in sabayon, but here goes.

"Search" is located below the 'a' in the sabayon title on top of the forum page.

In 'SabayonLinux General Discussions', the top thread called 'Resources and Forum usage' is your friend.

To install a package, as root in the command line, type 'emerge --search packagename', ie 'emerge --search amarok'. This will tell you if the package is installed, and if not what is the proper name for the package. To install, 'emerge packagename.' This can take a long time depending on the package - that is the nature of sabayon/gentoo. Don't worry if it seems like nothing is hapenning for awhile.

You mentioned nero in your post. K3b is included in sabayon and is a much better cd/dvd burning package than nero for linux. Give it a try.
thecdn
Simple Hen

Postby kromakey » Mon Dec 04, 2006 15:51

Thanks !

I am not at home right now , but I will try it :)

I do not want nero particulary , I just want to know how to install something , more than the lot of usefull aplicattions already in :)

Best regards

kromakey
kromakey
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Dec 04, 2006 16:39

wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby offensive_jerk » Fri Dec 08, 2006 19:36

There is a linux Nero????
offensive_jerk
Baby Hen

Postby thecdn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 21:37

offensive_jerk wrote:There is a linux Nero????

http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLINUX.html

You need to buy a serial number to use it or have one from a windows version, which I did. I tried it when I first started with linux because I was familiar with the name but the linux version is very limited compared to the nero suite on windows. Pretty much just a version of burning rom by itself.

After I heard about k3b and tried it a few times I never went back to nero and don't bother installing it anymore.
thecdn
Simple Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion