Grub 1.99 ate my Menu

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Grub 1.99 ate my Menu

Postby iservnet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:21

Hi

Done the normal equo update. I noticed that grub was upgraded to 1.99. Restarted and I do not get Menu to select the Sabayon kernel version or Windows. It was automatically set to default to Windows, so now I cannot get back into Sabayon.

Is there a key combination that I can use to boot into Sabayon or how else should I do this. I prefer not to re-install.

If I do get into Sabayon, what could be the cause of this and how to fix.

Thanks
iservnet
Baby Hen

Re: Grub 1.99 ate my Menu

Postby Stupot » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:48

The grub menu doesn't pop up, even for one second?

Maybe it just went by so fast you didn't notice (if you're lucky). Try restarting and hit the arrow keys on your keyboard when grub should normally pop up. If you can get into Sabayon, it'll be easier to fix it, but not necessarily all that difficult if you have to go another way.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Skull Fire » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:23

if you dont find another solution, run the live dvd and begin the install process, in the begining of the install process you will be given a chance to reinstall the bootloader only. read and watch carefully and should be able to reinstall the bootloader and boot into sabayon again.

edit*** you can also try to install easyBCD in windows which will add linux to the windows boot menu, but depending on what was destroyed this may or may not work. im guessing the menu is still there but written to the partition, not mbr, if so easyBCD will work.

edit 2: keep in mind grub versions 1.9 and above are grub2. if you run easyBCD you want to choose grub2, not grub legacy.
multi-booting Sabayon 5.5 kde 64 bit and others
intel e6600 @ 3.0 ghz core duo
6gb ddr2 800
biostar tpower i45 motherboard
nvidia 9800 gt
3) 7200 sata's non-raid
Skull Fire
Growing Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 19:56

This has happened on 2 machines updated yesterday and today. Both machines are SLK fully updated but running legacy grub; one is x86 and the other is AMD64.
After the Grub Loading message a screen of gobbledegook comes up and the machine boots into the default mode. However, on the AMD64 machine, the default kernel placing in grub.conf was altered during the upgrade.

There does not seem to be a specific log for grub - or if there is I can't find it. Any suggestions as to where I'll find useful information on this?
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Wed Jun 15, 2011 20:09

Legacy grub users - look in /boot/grub and check if splash.xpm.gz is there

I'm still running the legacy grub and early in the am this morning I noticed after updating that there was a jumble of letters rather than the normal boot menu. It booted to the default kernel and after looking at grub.conf I realized that splash.xpm.gz was missing from /boot/grub. I created a splash.xpm from default-splash.png (640x480 with 14 colors), edited grub.conf to match the new image, and rebooted to confirm it works.
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 20:37

Thank you tekwyzrd. I wasn't quite sure what you have done but managed to get a functioning - if oddly coloured - menu when grub loads by just copying and renaming default-splash.png to splash.xpm.gz. :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Wed Jun 15, 2011 23:41

The odd color is probably due to the grub image requirements. According to what I read the older (legacy) grub requires a 640x480 image with a maximum of 14 colors. The splash image for the newer grub (default-splash.png) is a 1024x768 32bit rgb image. Just open the image with gimp and select image/mode/indexed, change the maximum number of colors to 14, and hit convert. Then image/scale image and set to 640x480 and then file/save as and save it as an .xpm file. You can create a .gz file but the .xpm works fine without being compressed in a .gz file. Then change the grub.conf splashimage line to point to your new splash image.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 19:02

Thanks for the howto tekwyzrd, it worked perfectly and I've also learned how to use the gimp to reduce colours. :)

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Fri Jun 17, 2011 19:59

dunsurfin wrote:Thanks for the howto tekwyzrd, it worked perfectly and I've also learned how to use the gimp to reduce colours. :)

I'm glad I was able to contribute something to help.
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion