proaudio layman

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

proaudio layman

Postby aunzim » Tue Nov 28, 2006 15:17

I would like to use Sabayon for music production.

Anybody knows if kernel 2.6.18 is realtime capable or i should try to compile a new one? If so, i tried to do that with sabayon before, but because i'm a newbie, and with the way that S. kernel/init is configurated is very for me to compile a working linux kernel.

being a newbie when i had an inner desire ;) to do an upgrade what show I do?

- use kuroo (done that in the past and system went from stable to a wreck) The strange thing is that with debian I had no problem to upgrade (in a unstable/testing branch) and with sbayon there are allways a lot of blockers...

- wait for the next sabayon version?

thanks a lot for your work, and time ;)
aunzim
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Nov 28, 2006 15:32

Which version are you using now?

Unless you know what your are doing it is best to wait till the next version of Sabayon is out. You can always update packages as you go along. Kuroo is too flakey, it's not recommended to use. Jump to konsole and use emerge - guaranteed to work

I guess I don't understand about the realtime thing, maybe someone else knows what you are referring too.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby aunzim » Tue Nov 28, 2006 15:38

some information about realtime kernel:

http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/inde ... .6_Kernels

And why i ask if the sabayon kernel has the realtime activaded or not:

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9566944929.html
aunzim
Baby Hen

Postby ed57 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 17:15

Hi and welcome,

have you tried to use Ardour or Rosegarden with Jack (Sound server in realtime) ?
They are included in Sabayon.
If Ardour won't launch because Jack is not up, then launch Jack with the command launcher (Ardour and Jack are not showed in the menu).

I can't say more than that cause I'm just starting with these new apps and it seems not easy at all !!

Hold on ! :wink:
ed57
Simple Hen

Postby aunzim » Tue Nov 28, 2006 17:32

I have some experience working with jackd and ardour with other distros like musix and agnula. Its not that dificult to use jack (especially if you use qjackctl gui) when you get the hand of it. Try to read the page in my previous post and the musix/agnula wiki
aunzim
Baby Hen

Postby whilo » Tue Nov 28, 2006 18:03

Kuroo is too flakey, it's not recommended to use.

Where and why is Kuroo not recommended? I also prefer the bash, but Kuroo can be a very easy introduction to package management on Sabayon and it works with me. :wink:
This is kind of off-topic so please start a new topic or refer somewhere, if you are serious about this!

Cheers,
whilo
whilo
Simple Hen

Postby cvill64 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 19:09

real time was merged into the kernel already and if you need even MORE, reconfigure to set PREEMPT as mandatory, its voluntary right now

and sure, you can use it, just get rid of the stuff you don't need and emerge the rest, let us know if you run into any problems setting up
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby aunzim » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:12

Two questions:

- Why not to prepare a Sabayon Music edition (with mandatory kernel, ardour 2 etc)? There are a lot of people in linux that like to do music and use gentoo, but there's no live-gentoo-audio-distro

(that would be great for me ;-)

- If I must do the recompile kernel thing, the sabayon kernel source are pure gentoo sources? (I've tried to do it before with no success... it's dificult for a newbie like me)
aunzim
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:52

aunzim wrote:- If I must do the recompile kernel thing, the sabayon kernel source are pure gentoo sources? (I've tried to do it before with no success... it's dificult for a newbie like me)

Sabayon is Gentoo, so when you are using emerge you are using the gentoo portage.

Emerge and Portage is very well documented if you take a bit to read. Once you get the hang of it, it's a snap.

Check the resources here:
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1730
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion