Plasma Crash after change of UTC

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

frankifol
Simple Hen

Plasma Crash after change of UTC

Post by frankifol » Sat Nov 06, 2010 18:41

During Installation I did an error, setting clock to UTC. I have a dual boot with windows 7, and now, every time I launch Sabayon I have the clock with one hour more (it says that the time is 19.00 but in reality it's 18.00).

I changed in /etc/conf.d/hwclock the string clock from UTC to localtime. Doing only this causes plasma to crash at new boot, making impossible to use the system. I changed again the file using slax. Sabayon works, but time is wrong.

What do you suggest?

frankifol
Simple Hen

Re: Plasma Crash after change of UTC

Post by frankifol » Sat Nov 06, 2010 19:30

I have the same kind of crash if I set europe.pool.ntp.org as server time.

frankifol
Simple Hen

Post by frankifol » Sat Nov 06, 2010 20:56

edit: I tried to reinstall sabayon. During installation it's IMPOSSIBLE to deselect UTC option. I mean that if I uncheck UTC I have a bug during the partitioning of disk.

I think this is a very serious limit of this distro.

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:46

4.5.3 brings a number of improvements:

* KSharedDataCache has cache invalidation bug fixed that caused stability issues when daylight saving time changed.
http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.5.3.php

This version is in our testing repository and will be moved into mainline soon.

Every distro had this problem.
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 14:59

For those who have trouble with KDE's time-setting GUI, there is a way of avoiding it completely. Although I am using KDE 4.5.2 I didn't have a problem with the recent end of daylight saving time, as I don't use KDE to change/update the time: it's done automatically by NetworkManagerDispatcher (Re: Daylight-saving-time to solar-time switch failure [Solved]). I never go anywhere near the KDE time settings. The underlying Linux clock and timezone configuration has to be done once only as per SL Wiki article HOWTO: Clock, Time, UTC, Dual boot with Windows. After that, NetworkManagerDispatcher and NTP will take care of the rest if you have an Internet connection. There are other ways to achieve the same thing if you prefer not to use NetworkManagerDispatcher, as also explained in the aforementioned thread and the thread Can`t change time and date in KDE.

frankifol
Simple Hen

Post by frankifol » Sun Nov 07, 2010 20:02

As I said, also performing the installation unchecking UTC is impossible.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 20:36

frankifol wrote:edit: I tried to reinstall sabayon. During installation it's IMPOSSIBLE to deselect UTC option. I mean that if I uncheck UTC I have a bug during the partitioning of disk.

I think this is a very serious limit of this distro.
frankifol wrote:As I said, also performing the installation unchecking UTC is impossible.
I suggest you file a bug report for that particular aspect -- see the link 'Bugs' at the top of this page.

You asked for suggestions in your first post. If you go ahead and install with UTC selected, then do what I wrote in my earlier post (including the edit to /etc/conf.d/hwclock etc. as specified in the SL Wiki article), it will rectify your clock and you won't need to go near the KDE clock setting GUI. Ergo no Plasma crash.

frankifol
Simple Hen

Post by frankifol » Mon Nov 08, 2010 15:18

followed the wiki guide. Always the same.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 19:30

1. In which country is your PC and what is the nearest city?

2. Open a Konsole/Terminal window, log-in as the root user, enter the following commands and post the output in this thread:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/conf.d/hwclock
cat /etc/timezone
tail -n 1 /etc/localtime
date && hwclock -r
diff -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Santo_Domingo /etc/localtime
Replace "America/Santo_Domingo" in the diff command above with the appropriate region and city for your time zone (Look in /usr/share/zoneinfo/ to find them.)