Upgrading Beryl Problems

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Upgrading Beryl Problems

Postby invar9 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:08

I was in the process of upgrading my system tonight and noticed some updates to beryl, so I ran

Code: Select all
emerge -vp beryl-core beryl-dbus beryl-settings beryl-manager beryl-wrapper beryl-plugins emerald emerald-themes]

and it updated everything to
x11-misc/beryl-manager-0.1.2 *
Beryl Window Decorator Manager [ http://beryl-project.org ]
x11-misc/beryl-settings-0.1.2 *
Beryl Window Decorator Settings [ http://beryl-project.org ]
x11-misc/beryl-wrapper-1.5 *
Beryl and Emerald loader [ http://www.sabayonlinux.org/ ]
x11-wm/beryl-core-0.1.2 *
Beryl window manager for AiGLX and XGL [ http://beryl-project.org ]
x11-wm/beryl-0.1.2 *
Beryl window manager for AiGLX and XGL (meta) [ http://beryl-project.org ]
x11-plugins/beryl-dbus-0.1.2 *
Beryl Window Decorator Dbus Plugin [ http://beryl-project.org ]
x11-plugins/beryl-plugins-0.1.2 *

I also updated nvidia-drivers to -1.0.9742-r90
Logged out and restarted X and the beryl did not launch. When I try to launch beryl-manager I get a
** (beryl-manager:16799) : WARNING **: Beryl cought a deadly signal 11

and I lose all my window decoration?
Should I just unmerge all the new version and go back to beryl1.1?

Any help is appreciated.
Thank You
invar9
Growing Hen

Postby jrochamtz » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:00

Hi!!

i have some problems too.it was working until i renewed the beryl packages to 0.1.2. hope someone have a solution. Thanx!!

jrocha ~ # beryl-manager
jrocha ~ # emerald: Connection Error (Unable to determine the address of the message bus (try 'man dbus-launch' and 'man dbus-daemon' for help))
16448: arguments to dbus_connection_get_data() were incorrect, assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 4629.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-BUS library.
16448: arguments to dbus_connection_set_data() were incorrect, assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 4593.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-BUS library.

** ERROR **: Not enough memory to set up DBusConnection for use with GLib
aborting...
XGL Absent, checking for NVIDIA
Nvidia Present
Relaunching beryl with __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"
XGL Absent, checking for NVIDIA
Nvidia Present
jrochamtz
Baby Hen

Postby cvill64 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:13

hmm...I've having no problem upgrading from 0.1.1....please try to remove your .beryl folder from your $HOME and then restart X and beryl and see if that changes anything
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Well....

Postby invar9 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:39

I did a
rm -R .beryl

in the /home/(user) directory and restarted X the error does not come up when I launch beryl-manager anymore but comes up when I try to launch the window manager?
Is there any log file output that might help?

Thank you for all your help with Sabayon
( Great interview by the way )
invar9
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:25

try deleting .beryl-managerrc too and restartX, what this is doing is forcing it to use defaults and refreshing it, try that and see please, let me know
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Sorry...

Postby invar9 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:09

Deleted the .beryl-managerrc restarted X launched beryl-manager and got the same error? I noticed that When I try to select a default windows manager, I can't select Beryl, and when I do I get the same error which is expected. Can I check anything else?

Thank You for all your help.
invar9
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:40

try re-emerging the newest beryl-wrapper (layman -s sabayon) and then restart X, then start beryl-manager and let's see

this is kinda confusing as it worked for me...did you by chance change anyt other X settings in xorg or your nvidia drivers?
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Well...got things working...sorta...

Postby invar9 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 16:23

ok, ran a emerge --sync && emerge portage && layman -S and then re-emerged all the beryl. Reloaded X but still had no luck? I did not update any other packages besides the nvidia and beryl. I have ran into problems updating to much at a time in the past.

The only thing I found strange is when I updated beryl-wrapper, it also wanted to load the x11-wm/beryl as a new package? even though I had beryl-core, beryl-settings, and all the other beryl-* emerged? isn't this a meta or bin package?

I had to downgrade all of the beryl packages to 1.1 and wrapper to 1.4 and got everything working again but with Beryl 1.1
invar9
Growing Hen

I got it working...

Postby Darksurf » Tue Nov 21, 2006 16:30

You should try upgrading one by one. I did

emerge beryl-core
emerge beryl-bla
emerge beryl-bla

you get my drift?? Start from the most important or from the base and go up. Oh, I use an ATI card w/XGL so your problem could also be the nvidia-driver update with aiglx. Not likely, but just throwing it out there as a possibility.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

will try nvidia-drivers

Postby invar9 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 21:37

When I upgraded I did a emerge beryl-core beryl-settings bery-* beryl-* and so on so it would emerge them in the right order but I will try to do them one at a time emerge beryl-core && emerge beryl-settings etc. I have been reading about some major issues with the latest nvidia-drivers. so I will try to downgrade it also.

Thank You for the suggestion.
invar9
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion