I've always believed Red Hat

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

I've always believed Red Hat

Postby lxnay » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:21

Just read this.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby Goatee » Thu Nov 16, 2006 18:30

but i'd prefer if microsoft released vista, it sucked, they went bankrupt :-(
Goatee
Sharecropper

Postby ed » Thu Nov 16, 2006 23:00

Vista will suck but still I don't think it's going to bankrupt them. There's too much marketing afoot and gullible people and those who don't know anything else will fall for marketing.
ed
Simple Hen

Postby johnnyhay » Fri Nov 17, 2006 0:24

It's mainly advertisement that's keeping them in the game.
MUST SPREAD SABAYON DISTROS><!
johnnyhay
Technological Hen

Postby DeadPenguin » Sun Nov 26, 2006 20:33

How is a bad release of Vista going to bankrupt M$?
They have pretty much every system builder tied in to Vista.
Even if they didn't sell one copy of Vista. Do you think it would topple them?
Look at what their hardware side is doing w/ the 360. They are poised to unseat the dominate player in the console market. They have their hands in everythng from selling tv and movies to mice and keyboards.
I am in no way a MS fan. I do not trust them as far as I could throw ballmer.
This Novell deal is garbage, but I think cvill64 id right you are just going to see a lot of forking in the future.
DeadPenguin
Simple Hen

Postby random guy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 23:26

(crap my message got sent to hell :( )

the guy didnt mean that microsoft would go bankrupt when vista sucked he just meant that he would be happy if it did, and i would be too.

It's mainly advertisement that's keeping them in the game.
MUST SPREAD SABAYON DISTROS><!

dude red hat should stay in the game. there cant ever be just one linux distro and there shouldnt ever be. sabayon is a great live disk and a great installed system but it is not a great server package because it wasnt really designed to be 100% server. if you wanted to run a server from home for whatever reason i wouldnt have recommended a desktop distro i would recommend a server distro. plus if you are seriously comerical then you need tech support and all the stuff that comes from subcribing to an os provider. to tell the truth we need redhat and i am glad it exists because it provides a service to people who need it. just as sabayon and other distributions provide theirusers with what they need. if we were going to try and make everyone use the same os and not give them any choice at all then we might as well call ourselves microsoft.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby ajez » Mon Nov 27, 2006 18:18

the war is beginning :P

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061125-8286.html

Ubuntu vs Suse, who'll win? :roll:
--
Core Beta/Site,Blog,Forum Admin
ajez
The Blamed One

Postby random guy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 18:58

Novell, a company that recently evoked the wrath of many open source software contributors

wow they expressed it nicely in that article. great find by the way.

parody condemns Canonical's recent controversial decision to include proprietary binary drivers in the default Ubuntu installation and informs Ubuntu contributors that they can join the OpenSUSE community. The parody e-mail illuminates the hypocrisy of Shuttleworth's Novell criticisms and demonstrates the offensiveness of using a development mailing list to convey such a message.

this is very true, i was thinking about this a lot myself. although i love xgl and i think it is ok to include those drivers here in sabayon i thik ubuntu shouldnt so we can keep at least one major distro that is strictly gpl compliant. because when distros like suse do this mess it is good to have a strict gpl follower like ubuntu to take a stand.

i would root for ubuntu of course. it may be clear that after gentoo (specifically sabayon build of gentoo) my second favorite is k/ubuntu.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby cvill64 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 20:07

you have to remember, we only create the binaries if the user WANTS them, its easy to say no and then its fine! :D
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby random guy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 23:09

you have to remember, we only create the binaries if the user WANTS them, its easy to say no and then its fine! Very Happy

ya that is one of the reasons i like sabayon better than others, a lot more choice.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion