Sabayon 5.2 on USB-HDD (Multi-Boot) [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

luemmel
Baby Hen

Sabayon 5.2 on USB-HDD (Multi-Boot) [Solved]

Post by luemmel » Thu May 06, 2010 16:58

Hello,

i had Sabayon 5.2 (Gnome) installed on a external USB-HDD in the sdc9 partition. The Grub legacy in the boot partition sdc1 is from Linux Dream (simple a copy from sdc6 where Linux Dream is installed with grub in sdc6).
My partitions are:

Code: Select all

Device      Part.Type  Format   Label   Marks
/dev/sdc1   primary    fat32    boot    boot
/dev/sdc2   extended
/dev/sdc5   logical    linux-swap
/dev/sdc6   logical    ext2     Dream
/dev/sdc7   logical    ext2     Arcade
/dev/sdc8   logical    ext2     Mint
/dev/sdc9   logical    ext2     Sabayon
/dev/sdc3   primary    fat32    HOME
From the Grub menu on the boot partition sdc1 i can boot into the grub menu's from Dream Linux and Linux Mint. Puppy Arcade is'nt installed at the moment.

Boot into the Sabayon Linux menu works and also the boot from there.

After a short time the boot process stops at this:

Code: Select all

>> Loading modules
   :: Scanning for pata_pcmcia...pcmcia, pata_pcmcia loaded.
   :: Scanning for imm...parport, imm loaded.
   :: Scanning for sx8...sx8 loaded.
   :: Scanning for ehci-hcd...ehcihcd loaded.
   :: Scanning for uhci-hcd...uhci-hcd loaded.
   :: Scanning for ohci-hcd...ohci-hcd loaded.
   :: Scanning for sl811-hcd...sl811-hcd loaded.
   :: Scanning for scsi_wait_scan...scsi_wait_scan loaded.
   :: Scanning for dm_bbr...dm_bbr loaded.
   :: Scanning for e1000...e1000 loaded.
   :: Scanning for tg3...tg3 loaded.
>> Activating mdev
>> Determining root device...
!! Block device /dev/sdc9 is not a valid root device...
!! Could not find the root block device in .
   Please specify another value or: press Enter for the same, type "shell" for a
 shell, or "q" to skip...
root block device() :: _
If i hit Enter the message repeats, if i type q and hit Enter the message repeats too... if i type /dev/sdc9 at the promt and hit Enter the boot process starts and the Sabayon desktop comes (auto login).

Why the hell should i type the same block device as it stands there??

Greats from germany
Luemmel

luemmel
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 5.2 on USB-HDD (Multi-Boot)

Post by luemmel » Sun May 23, 2010 13:37

This Forum seems to be dead...

so long
Luemmel

sjieke
Technological Hen

Post by sjieke » Tue Jun 01, 2010 13:34

If you are still interrested in finding a solution.

Sometimes it can take a while before the boot process detects external usb devices. Thats why the block device is found after you type it again (sufficient time has past). Adding the 'doslowusb' boot parameter gives the system some extra time to probe for all usb devices.

luemmel
Baby Hen

Post by luemmel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 15:01

Yes please tell me the solution :D

Greets
luemmel

sjieke
Technological Hen

Post by sjieke » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:25

I already told you what I think could be the solution:
sjieke wrote:Adding the 'doslowusb' boot parameter gives the system some extra time to probe for all usb devices
You need to add 'doslowusb' to the kernel parameters.
To do this you need to edit the grub configuration file (the one showing you the menu to choose from) and add 'doslowusb' to the kernel line of the sabayon entry.

Sabayon uses Grub2 and I'm still learning what the correct way is to edit Grub2's configuration files. With 'legacy grub' it was just modifying grub.conf or menu.lst
With Grub2 the configuration file is grub.cfg, but it isn't recommended to edit it directly since it can be generated. But since I'm still finding out how the generation works I edit the grub.cfg file directly for the moment.

luemmel
Baby Hen

Post by luemmel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:37

sjieke wrote:You need to add 'doslowusb' to the kernel parameters.
To do this you need to edit the grub configuration file (the one showing you the menu to choose from) and add 'doslowusb' to the kernel line of the sabayon entry.
I've tried it yesterday before i wrote you to tell me how but it won't work! I've found this solution here.

EDIT: I've tested it at the moment and it works with the new kernel who was installed yesterday with the updates :D

sjieke
Technological Hen

Post by sjieke » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:01

I'm glad you got it working. But I'm interrested in how you did it as you say my suggestion doesn't work and if I look to your link I find
LABEL Sabayon_starten
kernel /boot/sabayon/sabayon
append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=/boot/sabayon/sabayon.igz unionfs init=/linuxrc cdroot doslowusb looptype=squashfs max_loop=64 loop=/livecd.squashfs splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 quiet --
This is exactly what I tried to explain (except this is a isolinux configuration file instead of a grub configuration file). Maybe I missed something very important in the explenation or in some other posts in that thread, because I don't speak German :S

So is it possible to tell us what you did, so I know it for the future and maybe someone else (who doesn't speak German) also understands the solution?

luemmel
Baby Hen

Post by luemmel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:37

These are my steps:

yesterday:
1. boot the old way in sabayon (kernel x86-2.6.33), open the terminal, sudo su, start mc, edit the grub.cfg, reboot
2. boot with the new kernel parameter but the promt cames too, typing /dev/sdc9 and it boots, make the big update (>1GB) inclusive kernel x86-2.6.34 and newer grub2 version because of the long time not using sabayon, after all updates shutting down and go to bed

today:
1. posting that it wont work
2. try to boot with the new kernel and new grub2 version with the doslowusb kernel parameter and it boots completely without interupt :)
3. try to boot with the older kernel and new grub2 version with the doslowusb kernel parameter and it interupts at the same position waiting to type /dev/sdc9 on the prompt
4. try to boot with the new kernel and new grub2 version without the doslowusb kernel parameter and it boots completely without interupt :)

It seems the older kernel x86-2.6.33 is the problem!!