is grub2 closed source? and how to get rid of it?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

sparkythewondersquid
Young Hen

is grub2 closed source? and how to get rid of it?

Post by sparkythewondersquid » Sat Apr 17, 2010 19:50

Hello:
I have used Sabayon for over 18 months now and I absolutely love it!!! But with the 5.2 release I cannot get the boot loader (grub2) to work the way I need it to (I boot multi systems) I need it to work with mac and if I go to change it I do not have permission too WHAT! so I fix that and after changing it will not boot at all!!! I wanted to go back to grub legacy (it aways worked great for me) same thing will not boot :( I would hate to have to quit using Sabayon just because of this any advice?

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: is grub2 closed source? and how to get rid of it?

Post by wolfden » Sat Apr 17, 2010 19:53

We have both grubs available, check your package manager

donnie

Post by donnie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 20:04

quit because of GRUB? What a sense? :)

Sisko43
Growing Hen

Post by Sisko43 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:53

He's right. It's a complete mess at the moment. Grub 2 is still in development. We have version 1.98-r1 actually!!!! Even the developers say there can be major changes in further releases until version 2.0 or whatsoever comes out. Nothing but problems reported so far from my colleagues.

Why is this major boot loader in Sabayon 5.2 ?????!!!!!!

A simple "NO GO!!!" in my opinion.

obnascar
Simple Hen

Post by obnascar » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:19

Be patient, there is a learning curve with Grub2, not that it isn't ready for prime time even though it is a beta. I have eight Linux distros booting on a computer, grub2 already does a better job than grub legacy ever did for me. Although I do have to say for some reason, SL's grub2 is not exactly the same as other distros grub2....how & why it got that way of course I do not personally know. But I love Grub2.........And no, I did not have a problem using SL's grub2 boot loader menu with my personalized boot image. Everything worked and recognized all other 7 distro that I have installed, for me grub legacy never did that, I would always have to edit the menu.lst to add the distro's that were missing. And adding your own bootloader menu image is easy, I love that part.

Yes, grub2 can be an awkward change for some users, but sooner or later we will get used to it and will enjoy its rewards !!

sparkythewondersquid
Young Hen

Post by sparkythewondersquid » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:09

Yes it does recognize and auto add windows, mac etc I just cannot boot any of them and I cannot edit the boot/grub/menu.lst its there but it says it is not I did install grub legacy from the package manager and I could not boot into anything. I did not mind having to edit the menu lst in grub and at least I COULD edit it for now the only linux distro that works for me is mandriva (yuk!) so I'm going to have to give up on Linux till this is working the way it should I hate to but it look as though I don't have a choice I tried to recompile the .iso and add grub legacy (taking out grub2) and again I could not boot I hate this :(

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:14

My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

donnie

Post by donnie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:35

In GRUB2 you edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg?? Try it

acfreema
Young Hen

Post by acfreema » Sun May 16, 2010 11:11

Having used Ubuntu since 6.06, Knoppix since 3.1, and Sabayon since 3.2, I got really used to good old grub. When grub2 was forced on me with Ubuntu 9.10, I was outraged. I haven't installed a newer Sabayon yet, so I can't speak knowledgeably about this grub2, but my system hung for about 13 seconds after selecting the OS.

Crap, absolute crap. I kicked grub out the door, when I couldn't revert to grub-legacy, and installed lilo. Needless to say, I can be fairly sure of what will happen to grub2 on my upcoming Sabayon 5.2 install.

Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Post by Thev00d00 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:27

You can just install grub1
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me