help please. My idea to increase Sabayon users

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

donnie

Re: help please. My idea to increase Sabayon users

Post by donnie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 21:40

Anyone still need this?

9.2.1.1. Formatting the floppy

On most Linux systems, users have access to the floppy disk device.

Code: Select all

emma:~> fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
Double-sided, 80 tracks, 18 sec/track. Total capacity 1440 kB.
Formatting ... done
Verifying ... done
emma:~>

donnie

Post by donnie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 20:49

Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide

P.S.: meant it rather as a suggestion to contribute to an already existing project
The Linux Documentation Project
thanks. Its really useful :wink:

wilsaba
Baby Hen

Post by wilsaba » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:37

I think I may elaborate a beat further, about this.

This my not have to be a single distro project.

I tried to target the community, hoping that at distro X, a tech guy could cooperate, at distro Y, a art worker, at forum Z, a skilled marketing person, at some other forum, a maintainer, and somewhere else a good persuader.

It is not supposed to be a all Linux thing about all distro things. Its a way to help people coming from windows, to adapt, by quickly reading and understanding an attractive, succinct and well written wiki, explaining our terminology (and a few other pertinent items), and only including details that are common to all distros, together with some comparing with Windows similar. The art workers, the persuaders and the marketers, would then polish it to make it also a good marketing tool, with the best possible professional looking.

At the end, it could be placed at any site, but maybe in agreement with the Free Software Foundation, and allowing any distro or other FLOSS site to link to it. by mean of a standard banner.

This is the reason why I titled at Distro X forum that it was to increase their user base, and did the same, at a few other forums.

By having "a sort of like the first port of call", as someone at Mandriva, so well, named it, even new comers talking between them about Linux, would understand each other better among them, because as all started with a common standard reading, it's like they would be talking about the same kind of familiar tasting oranges.

And by that reason, it could also make life easier at every distro support forums, by the time they would later get involved with the specifics of each of them.

Assuming the project would sometime happen to be concluded, and be successful, it could help any distro out there to get new users, and more easily support them.

donnie

Post by donnie » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:52

I tried Linux Documentation Project, its the same wiki, with bad search (or not intuitive search, which means the same). Many articles are useful, but not for complete beginners. There are outdated articles, and seems many of them comprehensive articles on 20 pages. A useful page is about structure - who is who and doing what.

I can translate, write newbie articles on 3 languages, for now. I'm not distro guy, and not Old Hen - but there are many around, they just usually don't need such a wiki themselves :lol:

Sabayon devs seems using this forum much for bugs, noobs and rants (support), it is in our hands strengthening the weak souls of non-Sabayon users, but how much of them will just stick with Ubuntu (a good distro) forever?

Also, maybe its just a ceiling for this distro, for percentage of Linux installed on desktops, and for overall number of potentially useful geeks nerds etc in our world? OMG I don't remember how I converted!! That was not wiki, just GRUB re-wrote Windows boot and I decided not to install again.

robhwill
Young Hen

Post by robhwill » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:18

Amen, Brother! May I add a suggestion? We all know about the probs some people have w/daring to go to the command line right? Well, it seems to me the simple thing to do (with a planned migration of course...) would be to have all CLI utilities rewrite to the extent that the 'switches', ex. " # command --this --that --etc." go to a coventional, across-the-board agreement as to whether two hyphens would precede each switch, or only one, etc. There are so, so many useful, powerful utility programs native to linux/unix, etc. but tell me, how many can you actually remember the *exact* syntax every time you use it? Me? I keep a copy of "Linux In A Nutshell" close at hand! But seriously, maybe even some of the -r -R --tS, etc. could be standardized too such that say, 'recursive' anything was the same for all. Like all things would take some doing, but could be universally useful to everyone who both saw and *believe* what they heard in The Wizard Of Oz: Don't Touch That Curtain....Pay No Attention To That Little Man Behind The Curtain!!..." Lots of people simple don't want to know. I know *I've* never asked just how a paper bag was made.....but I sure USE a lot of them!!
Take Care. Have A Healthy, Prosperous Day!
-----rob
Have A Healthy, Prosperous Day!

svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Post by svantoviit » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:32

I keep a copy of "Linux In A Nutshell" close at hand!
...just need to type man <foo> or info <foo> and sometimes <foo> --help is enough :wink:

For me it seems that people just want everything to go quickly and without any afford. Like this guy:
I've been using Sabayon for two days and it's already p***ing me off! ...if this can be fixed in relatively short order, I'll keep it. Otherwise, I'm switching to something else.
If you want to master something, you need to learn and practice. Even if it's something so obvious as cooking. And you have to admit, that a self-cooked meal, where you know, you have put fresh ingredients in it, is something completely different as some junk you buy in a supermarket and just put in a microwave oven.

Don't be afraid to read and learn, try to understand. It's normal, that something gets burned, not only if you are a beginner.
Of course, it costs time and energy to learn something, but I think it's worth it.

Every start is hard, but cookbooks are all over the web. Open your eyes, explore and enjoy. :pirat:

robhwill
Young Hen

Post by robhwill » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:33

Yeah, I see what you mean---that's a *little* over the top. On the other hand though, when someone gets something new, they should still be able to do very basic tasks (so-called) intuitively. Take for instance OpenOffice, Abiword, and other such programs. In past few years, it's become sooooo 'in style' for software to show what it can do that the 1st battle a new user faces with these and others is how to turn off so many 'features' that are by default activated so they can just say, type a quick copy of a recipe, or a note to school for little johnny; gradually getting into 'back-end' power features (curriculum vitae w/references, essay w/bibliography, etc., etc. I'm all for having the power, but if I'm started in 4th or 5th gear and near advanced if not top speed that'll turn me off. Many 'regular' users do need to be coddled somewhat, at least to the extent that they are not immediately overwhelmed by powerful features. That makes many (MS$ especially) feel as though the technology is now in charge and not them. Gates got very, very rich aacknowledging this by making those/his users feel that to do basic stuff, well...everything was covered. Many of same type stay in government and civil service jobs for same reason: 'big poppa' takes care of salary, health care, inventory, supplies, you see? That's why there aren't truly that many bona-fide entrepreneurs even today. The reality is simply that people don't want the 'risk' or the 'worry'. They want service. US is in big poop today for having farmed out (outsourced service sector stuff). May not get control again.
Anyway, that's enough from by soapbox/culture seminar-point-of-view for today. I appreciate your concern, your views, and your time. Take Care. Have A Healthy, Prosperous Day!
---rob
Have A Healthy, Prosperous Day!