Thinking of switching from windows 7 to sabayon

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

madcat75
Baby Hen

Thinking of switching from windows 7 to sabayon

Post by madcat75 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:28

Couple questions before I do though:

How easy is it to adapt from windows 7 to sabayon? And the most frequent programs I run are: Photoshop (Or I guess I could just use GIMP if it works in saba), Unreal Tournament 3 (and the editor mostly), Winamp (But I could just use a substitute for it also), Steam of course. And would I have to erase my hard drive or could I just put the saba OS onto my C: partition? I have a backup on a laptop external HD of all my stuff. Main reason I wanna switch is because well there's no chance of getting spyware or viruses on a linux OS really (At least I don't think), not that I really do anyways. And Saba looks easy to use. So what do you guys think? Should I go for it?

thecata
Simple Hen

Re: Thinking of switching from windows 7 to sabayon

Post by thecata » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:50

I currently have Sabayon & Windows 7 at home (dual boot) and Sabayon (only) at work. From my experience, here's what I can state:
- Gimp works just fine on Sabayon
- Unreal Tournament 3 should have a linux installer on the dvd (and it works great... at least on nvidia hardware, i don't see much difference in it)
- Winamp substitutes: audacious (even supports winamp 2 skins), amarok (kde) and a whole bunch of players based on mplayer and xine (the list is way too long... just lookup some packages in the media-sound/ category in entropy or portage)
- Steam... no really so sure about this one... but there were a lot of discussions on the gaming subforum here on sabayon about running CounterStrike and HalfLife in general... maybe you could find solutions to problems which may occur. Unlike Unreal which has a native linux executable, most windows games won't run directly on linux (but most of them run on Wine, which is sort of an emulator... but there are some limitations for this emulator, including a sometimes not so small performance penalty).

As for the installation part, you can NEVER install linux on a windows partition (i'm guessing you have NTFS on your C: partition). You will need to format a partition as ext4 (i hear this is the default nowadays), ext3 or some other type of linux partition. You can do read-write operations on a ntfs partition (mounted as ntfs-3g - a ntfs "driver" with read-write support for linux; keep in mind that the default "ntfs" driver is read-only).

Anyway, even though I spend most of my time on linux, I would suggest not making a sudden switch from windows to linux... keep a dual boot system for a while (as I mentioned in the beginning of this post, you can setup more than one OS on a single computer... I, for one, never had any sort of problem setting up win7 and sabayon).
Catalin Pol
Linux user since 2004; Sabayon user since 2006

Marius
Simple Hen

Post by Marius » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:59

I would shrink the WIndows partition, install Linux besides Window, and dual boot.

I use and value Linux for speed, control, power, and above all all the available resources -- all freely available for you. Also it is an excellent place to learn the operating system internals, shell programming etc. The latter can be done under Windows provided you install Cygwin -- I have Cygwin running on every of my Windows installations, and all of them coexist with some Linux distro (Fedora, Sabayon).

I love Sabayon most of all for the superb aesthetics of its desktops (Gnome. KDE. fluxbox, to a lesser degree XFCE -- hats off to Ian "Thev00d00" Whyman). And it is a very complete distro -- you can have here nearly anything you could ask for.

Unfortunately the media support under Linux continues to lag behind. Some reasons are readily understandable: the audio drivers available under Linux are inferior to the (proprietary) drivers supplied by the hardware manufacturers to support Windows, so sorry to say that, but free audio players available on Windows feel and sound a lot better on the same hardware playing the same lossless material than their Linux counterparts. Other reasons I don't comprehend: why, in terms of functionality and aesthetics even the best I tried under Linux is far behind such free Windows audio players like AIMP2 -- and I really tried hard to find something that I could live with under Linux -- it doesn't seem to exist!

I haven't been using Photoshop but I have been using ImageMagick for editing images and I found it very useful (you can use however IrfanView which has lots of things to recommend it).

amoebios
Growing Hen

Post by amoebios » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:49

thecata wrote:[....]As for the installation part, you can NEVER install linux on a windows partition [....]
Just to clarify: Puppy Linux and Ubuntu, for example, can install on a FAT32-formatted drive inside a file with a virtual filesystem.

I started switching to Linux about 5 years ago and it was really difficult, partially. The whole philosophy and conception was totally different; on Windows i was told how things should be done, while on Linux i had to think for myself. This change alone is difficult enough to cope with after years of accustoming. Lack of driver support isn't that a big issue anymore. Millions of people are using Linux and only dual-booting Windows, because of few missing applications or drivers, due to ignorant manufacturers. (There's still people who never heard of Linux or have no idea what it really is.)

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:18

Peripherals driver support is definitely not as good as Windows, as the manufacturers put almost all their efforts into supporting the OS used by the vast majority of PC desktop users globally. Perhaps I see the problem more than most because I am constantly travelling on business and have to hook up to all sorts of printers and other peripherals in different offices. Having said that, usually I can get a printer (networked or directly-connected) working if a driver is available, but it isn't always simple: it depends a lot on the manufacturer. Sometimes more than one open-source driver is available for the same printer model and I have to waste time and paper in order to find a driver that works (usually, if a PostScript driver for a particular printer model is available, it works). Things are getting better, though, as more manufacturers are starting to support Linux (e.g. see my recent post on Lexmark, whose 2009 models are apparently supposed to be more Linux-friendly after years of Lexmark printers being labelled 'paperweights' by Linux users). HP's peripherals are usually a good bet with Linux, but even those are not guaranteed to work: just a couple of days ago someone sought my advice on connecting his HP scanner to Linux and it transpired that there is no Linux driver for that particular model.

Anyway, I dual boot with Windows on another partition in case I need to use Windows as a last resort, although it is very rare these days. About the last reason I used to have to boot my Windows partition was to run Microsoft Word. [OpenOffice Writer is fine for simple documents but, whatever you hear, it is just not up to the standard of Microsoft Word, and is nowhere near 100% compatible in the case of complicated documents with lots of styles, numbered sections, embedded images and objects etc. Not that Microsoft Word is anywhere near perfect (I dislike it quite a bit, actually), but for professional 'power users' it is still better than OpenOffice Writer.] Anyway, WINE allows you to install and run Microsoft Office under Linux, and I am currently running Office 2007 under SL, so there is virtually no need for me to ever boot into Windows. And it feels snappier running under Linux and WINE than under Windows 7 on my laptop. Which brings me to another thing: Linux performance, for me at least, is significantly faster than Windows.

Where Windows really gives headaches is on the malware side. Linux wins hands down on this score. Having removed spyware from someone's Windows Vista PC just a couple of weeks ago, and advised somone else last week how to remove particularly pernicious malware from his Windows XP laptop that kept re-attacking and disabling Internet access, I think Linux is much, much better to use. However, you cannot be complacent and assume that you will not be attacked: some Linux users do get hacked whilst using the Internet, and get rootkits installed, so you still have to be very careful and only log in as the root user (equivalent to the Administrator in Windows) when really necessary. Once a hacker gets root access, he 'owns' your PC and can do anything he wants. If you practice safe computing then the chances of a malware problem in Linux are much, much lower than in Windows. But if you don't practice safe computing under Linux, you still run the risk -- albeit lower -- of being hacked. I'm typing this in a hotel and don't have any virus checker or firewall enabled, and I feel safe. I would never do that under Windows. However, I should get around to installing a firewall at some point for the times when I am not behind my home router's firewall or an office firewall.

If you want to dual boot with Windows 7, read the thread Questions about installation of Sabayon w/ Windows 7 for an overview of how to do it (Thanks to Marius for highlighting the use of EasyBCD a while back in the SL forums).

donnie

Post by donnie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 14:43

To me, its about customization of anything, and speed for programs I use (really need that). Like someone said about new gcc 4.5 with Atom support, "Now when such a news appear, i miss Gentoo on my netbook". Every Linux is different, and Windows are much the same, because that level of customization would be criticized in Windows, if ever appear. In a perfect world, I don't need to do anything by myself, and would better use Mac :)

And, i feel myself completely silly when i'm googlying and then, downloading SETUP.EXE.

GenBlood
Young Hen

Post by GenBlood » Mon May 17, 2010 3:46

Going the duel boot way sounds like a good idea. If you have room for a second drive in your system
you could add another HD. You can use Win7 when you want to play games and Sabayon when doing
all the other stuff.

I myself prefer one other the other. I have a system for gaming I just build with Win 7 and a Sabayon system
and a Gentoo box for all my other stuff.
General Blood ..

Sabayon 4.2 AMD Athlon X2 4050e Brisbane 2.1GHz + 4GB SO-DIMM
JetWay JNC81-LF AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Mini ITX
1 Sony DVD RW
1 sata WD 250 GB drive

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 18, 2010 15:04

Yesterday I finally got around to trying to install my Epson Stylus Photo 950 printer and HP ScanJet 3400C scanner with 64-bit Windows 7 on my new laptop. I discovered that neither peripheral has a driver for 64-bit Windows 7! So perhaps I need to eat some of my words in my earlier post. Apparently Microsoft (not Epson) provides a driver for the Epson Stylus Photo 950 printer for 32-bit Windows 7 only, and HP does not provide a Vista or Windows 7 driver for the HP ScanJet 3400C scanner at all, whatever the arch. At least Linux still supports some of these older peripherals.

PGHammer
Young Hen

Post by PGHammer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 21:59

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Yesterday I finally got around to trying to install my Epson Stylus Photo 950 printer and HP ScanJet 3400C scanner with 64-bit Windows 7 on my new laptop. I discovered that neither peripheral has a driver for 64-bit Windows 7! So perhaps I need to eat some of my words in my earlier post. Apparently Microsoft (not Epson) provides a driver for the Epson Stylus Photo 950 printer for 32-bit Windows 7 only, and HP does not provide a Vista or Windows 7 driver for the HP ScanJet 3400C scanner at all, whatever the arch. At least Linux still supports some of these older peripherals.
Actually, HP *indirectly* does have a rather nice driver system for their printers and scanners (it even works with most of their all-in-ones, which I don't recommend as a matter of principle, in any OS) called HPLIPS (HP Linux Imaging and Printing System); it's available via Sulfur; however, it must be installed manually in Sabayon (or Gentoo, for that matter). I have HP's DeskJet 940C (very old inkjet, dates back to 2005), which is only detected if HPLIP is installed. While all other Linux (or Solaris/OpenSolaris, or BSD) distributions install HPLIPS as part of either the base install or first-time setup, Sabayon or Gentoo does not.. Ir's still a minor quibble, though.

DanySK
Technological Hen

Post by DanySK » Thu Jun 17, 2010 23:26

madcat75 wrote:Couple questions before I do though:

How easy is it to adapt from windows 7 to sabayon? And the most frequent programs I run are: Photoshop (Or I guess I could just use GIMP if it works in saba), Unreal Tournament 3 (and the editor mostly), Winamp (But I could just use a substitute for it also), Steam of course. And would I have to erase my hard drive or could I just put the saba OS onto my C: partition? I have a backup on a laptop external HD of all my stuff. Main reason I wanna switch is because well there's no chance of getting spyware or viruses on a linux OS really (At least I don't think), not that I really do anyways. And Saba looks easy to use. So what do you guys think? Should I go for it?
My experience: switch to Sabayon if you only play games which are natively available for the Linux platform. Some of them work through Wine, however Windows offer of course better experience. Otherwise, especially if you (as I intended) already have a Windows 7 license, keep a dual boot and put on 7 only Steam and the games you like to play. No AV, no other softwares, just Firefox (or Chrome) in case you need a webpage. Then, enable the network connection only when you really need it, and use Sabayon for everything except playing.

I am currently doing things in this way, and I am an happy user: a fast and light 7 partition for gaming, a wide, secure, customizable partition with Sabayon for working. The replacements I suggest you are:
Photoshop --> GIMP (and Inkscape for vectorial graphics)
Winamp --> Amarok (IMHO is far better)
Steam --> Wait for Steam for Linux client (expected soon, see Phoronix).