Getting Adobe Programs To Work (Use Parallels?)

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Getting Adobe Programs To Work (Use Parallels?)

Postby Square Bottle » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:15

The only reason why Windows in still installed on this machine is because I need to use certain programs, namely Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver. (Yes, I'm already aware of Gimp, Inkscape, and Nvu. They're good programs and I do use them from time to time, but I need these particular programs.)

The solution I think would be to use an emulator to run Windows inside of Gentoo. If I could just use qemu or something to run those programs, then please, tell me how. Otherwise, I think I want to install Parallels so that I can really just have the Windows desktop open inside its own window. That, and I've heard that it doesn't get any easier than Parallels. If there's a good reason to suggest going with vmware, then sure, but like I said, I've just been hearing a lot of great things about Parallels.

Now, I could just download the TGZ from their web site, but they also listed an ebuild. We like ebuilds. So I downloaded the ebuild (it comes in a TGZ for compression, but it's obviously not the same as the bigger TGZ) and tried a variety of ways to get it extracted into '/usr/portage/app-emulation' but I couldn't make it work. I couldn't drag and drop because of file permission reasons, and I couldn't get the 'cp' command to work for me nor the 'tar' command. So blarg.

I tried the Gentoo Wiki, but when it was talking about ebuilds, it wasn't talking about doing this. I tried Google, but Google also just sort of told me how to use ebuilds and overlays.

Anyway, if anybody knows how I would move the ebuild I downloaded from their website into that folder, please let me know.

Or, if anybody reading this has gotten the three programs I need to work in Sabayon-Gentoo another way and would recommend that I go about this a different way, then please enlighten me. Thanks.
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:32

you can either use wine to install them (there are many howtos, like you can have Macromedia studio works 8 with one of them) or if you want something like qemu

# emerge vmware-server

go to vmware.com and get you free key(s), and then run the script it tells you too. Then add yourself to the vmware group and run windows there.
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:13

I'll see if I can figure out how to get this going with wine. That would work for Dreamweaver 8, but remember, I also need Illustrator CS2 and and Photoshop CS2, so yeah.

I figured I should probably check out vmware-server based on your recommendation, even if only to experiment. I got typed in "emerge vmware-server" and it spat this out at me. This is as much as I could copy. It's not much at all which is the funny thing, but yeah, I can't scroll up any more. Interesting.

Code: Select all
portdbapi instance has no attribute 'auxdb'
====================================

Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/atexit.py", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
    func(*targs, **kargs)
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_exec.py", line 71, in run_exitfuncs
    func(*targs, **kargs)
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 7059, in portageexit
    close_portdbapi_caches()
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 4788, in close_portdbapi_caches
    i.close_caches()
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 4886, in close_caches
    for x in self.auxdb.keys():
AttributeError: portdbapi instance has no attribute 'auxdb'
Error in sys.exitfunc:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/atexit.py", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
    func(*targs, **kargs)
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_exec.py", line 71, in run_exitfuncs
    func(*targs, **kargs)
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 7059, in portageexit
    close_portdbapi_caches()
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 4788, in close_portdbapi_caches
    i.close_caches()
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 4886, in close_caches
    for x in self.auxdb.keys():
AttributeError: portdbapi instance has no attribute 'auxdb'
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:42

do you get this if you try and install with anything else?
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:18

No, this is definitely a new one. It was very quick, too. Basically spat it out right when I hit enter after trying to emerge. Sure left me blinking, heh.

Edit: Alright, I signed out and back in and tried again. Got this instead. A bit more normal. :)

Code: Select all
!!! ERROR: app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.15-r1 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1584:   Called dyn_setup
  ebuild.sh, line 665:   Called pkg_setup
  ebuild.sh, line 1261:   Called vmware-mod_pkg_setup
  vmware-mod.eclass, line 36:   Called linux-mod_pkg_setup
  linux-mod.eclass, line 432:   Called linux-info_pkg_setup
  linux-info.eclass, line 554:   Called die

!!! Unable to calculate Linux Kernel version
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:07

that error has been fixed numerous times... ;)
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:05

I'm sure it has. I'm sure that most problems have been dealt with many times as a matter of fact. Perhaps we could have some kind of "Frequently Asked Questions and Encountered Problems" sticky for those of us who haven't been here long enough to see them come up and learn to deal with them with the rest of you. We can search the Gentoo Wiki and give Google a shot (believe me, I'm all about RTFM, heh), but yeah, I wouldn't even know what to type in the search field and I don't think I'm alone in that.

So yes, a Frequently Asked Questions and Encountered Problems section would be very, very awesome. It would be a good way to replace frustration with productivity for both sides, I think. ;)

In the mean time, would you mind giving me a nudge in the right direction about this particular fixable issue by linking me to a resource possibly? And also, just for the sake of experimentation, how would I go about moving that ebuild that I downloaded from the Parallels web site into the /usr/portage/app-emulation folder? Unless there's a particular reason for not using Parallels (and I've definitely come to trust your word, my farmer, so let me know if there is), then yeah, I'd just like to check it out for myself.
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:24

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/search.php <--- works wonders

First thing you have to read the error message and understand what the error is. Sometimes it's very obvious and other times not.

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... ble+kernel
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... nux+kernel

See Also
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1730
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Square Bottle » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:40

Like I said, the problem with "search" for this is that I don't know what to search for here. I don't understand the nature of the problem, and there's no "error code" or "error name." Search does work wonders, when you have terms to type in. See the dilemma? I'm sure others have run into this problem as well.

But thank you very much for your help with that particular error. I don't want to sound ungrateful, because I'm not. :D

As for the ebuild I downloaded from Parallels, why is it that I can't seem to drop it into the /usr/portage/app-emulation folder?
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:54

I don't know about the parallels thing but have you looked at Cross-Over for linux?
http://www.codeweavers.com/

It's not free, but they do have a free 60 day beta to use - It will easily do Abobe/Macromedia programs
http://www.codeweavers.com/beta/cxlinux/

I've had pretty good luck with the 5.0 version. I haven't tried the latest beta.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion