What is Sabayon about?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What is Sabayon about?

Postby Bapabooiee » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:49

Nah, 'tis all good. That wasn't really a bug, I don't think, I just ran forgot to use run 'swapon' on my Swap partition, is all.

I really gotta read-up on how to tinker with Grub some more effectively. I think I tried chainloading before, but I never got it to work correctly, so I just use a single list for all of my possible operating systems.

*man grub*
Bapabooiee
Baby Hen

Postby mbsnr » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:36

Bapabooiee wrote:No, I'm not asking a question here... but I would just like to give a suggestion.

Methinks the website's frontpage UI needs a little bit of changing. Having learned about this distro some 30 minutes ago, I found myself on this website's frontpage - wondering "what the hell is this distro all about? There's absolutely no information about it anywhere".

But lo and behold, after some searching, I noticed there was a 'Wiki' section underneath the 'Communicate' drop-down menu. Not very intuitive at all.

I agree. I said the exact same in this post.http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=18690. I would class myself as an intermediate Linux user. I've moved on from Ubuntu and Gnome and I know what I want out of a Linux distro. I run a netbook and so a bit of background info and detail about 5.o off the webpage, to help make the right decision for my hardware, would have been more than helpful! Other than that it's actually a great distro - at least certainly for desktops. Not so sure about the power management for netbooks. Still runs at around 9-11Watts on the netbook. XP runs closer to 7-8W due to the software management of the CPU speed. (BTW I binned eeebuntu as I was fed up of Gnome and also ubuntu's constant changes breaking the eeepc addons that previously worked. (They are written by one of the dev team at eeebuntu who has now stopped writing them as a side project due to that very issue)).
So I decided I wanted to move from Ubuntu and found Sabayon. Please consider updating or modifying the webpage so that it is more user friendly for new/first time Sabayon users! It's a 2 Gb download afterall! We need to know what we're getting. I persisted on a slow internet connection as I'm impatient :D but others could/would easily wait for the final versions of Mandriva 2010 - Nov 3th or Fedora 12 - Nov 17th with their 700Mb live cd images. Both distros specifically mention power management for netbooks....Sabayon doesn't seem to and only mentions UMPC in passing. I feel that it would help if these areas were expanded upon.

Anyhow just my 2 cents worth as a new user. Regards
mbsnr
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:49

Perhaps a prominent link on the Home Page to a summary page with a shorter version of the following texts might help?

:arrow: How does this work? [Solved]

:arrow: Re: stable-testing..unstable?...what's the difference?

:arrow: Re: Curious about Developer activity/ community involvement
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby mbsnr » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:36

Fitzcarraldo - Yes something along those lines. At first I didn't know why it took nearly an hour for my netbook to download and install 300 updates! Now I think I understand that it's due to the slow processor having to compile the source code or is it? I'm still not quite sure I understand this. I used Sulfur which is the GUI for Entropy right? - the binary package manager so this is just installation of the packages and no compiling??? :? Again this is completely different from the other linux's I've used - and when I say different I really mean slower. Quite noticeably so. So not knowing this I assumed that the distro was just another 'crap' distro doing things arse ways and I was close to saying this was a complete waste of my time. But again I persisted as I'd waited long enough for the 2gb iso to come down (which I then had to unetbootin to a usb key for the netbook - a process that in itself took nearly 20 mins to do to build the 1.9Gb live file). Netbooks aren't that fast for doing these things and on the 1st try I did give up.... :)

But let me say I'm glad I did return as I really like Sabayon and now have it running as the 2nd OS on a dual boot netbook and the main OS on a docked laptop.
mbsnr
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:50

mbsnr wrote:Fitzcarraldo - Yes something along those lines. At first I didn't know why it took nearly an hour for my netbook to download and install 300 updates! Now I think I understand that it's due to the slow processor having to compile the source code or is it? I'm still not quite sure I understand this. I used Sulfur which is the GUI for Entropy right? - the binary package manager so this is just installation of the packages and no compiling??? :?

As you used sulfur (the gui for entropy) they would be binary packages and the hour is just the time taken to download and install them all. A faster processor and faster connection would help but if you'd been compiling from source (using portage) you'd probably have taken nearer to 24 hours!
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby mbsnr » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:30

dunsurfin wrote:As you used sulfur (the gui for entropy) they would be binary packages and the hour is just the time taken to download and install them all. A faster processor and faster connection would help but if you'd been compiling from source (using portage) you'd probably have taken nearer to 24 hours!

Thanks that explains it - The thing was I recall they downloaded fairly quickly. I was just surprised to see them take so long to install compared to say Kubuntu running on the same hardware. Still getting used to the finer points of Sabayon but so far it's got nice touches that I appreciate - like the different coloured text when using equo!
mbsnr
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:55

mbsnr wrote:Again this is completely different from the other linux's I've used - and when I say different I really mean slower. Quite noticeably so.

Are you sure about that? Using the binary package manager Entropy is, in essence, the same as a binary package manager such as APT on a distribution such as Ubuntu. Equo is equivalent (similar) to apt-get; Sulfur is equivalent (similar) to Synaptic. If you had to download 300 updated packages in Ubuntu or another binary distribution it would takes ages too. For example, a few months ago I did a big update using Synaptic in PCLinuxOS (over 600 packages), which I think is an excellent distribution, and it took several hours. Equo is actually quite fast in my experience, although it of course depends on the bandwidth of your Internet connection.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Fri Oct 23, 2009 13:59

It's all about the cookies!

joost
Sagely Hen

Postby mbsnr » Fri Oct 23, 2009 14:28

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Are you sure about that? Using the binary package manager Entropy is, in essence, the same as a binary package manager such as APT on a distribution such as Ubuntu. Equo is equivalent (similar) to apt-get; Sulfur is equivalent (similar) to Synaptic. If you had to download 300 updated packages in Ubuntu or another binary distribution it would takes ages too. For example, a few months ago I did a big update using Synaptic in PCLinuxOS (over 600 packages), which I think is an excellent distribution, and it took several hours. Equo is actually quite fast in my experience, although it of course depends on the bandwidth of your Internet connection.

You might be right, but I do notice that installing an application seems slower. Perhaps it's a combination of my hardware and the connection speed. Both machines are in different locations with different ISPs. But not to worry, as long as it works!
mbsnr
Baby Hen

Postby Bapabooiee » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:50

Just to let you guys know, I've decided that Sabayon is not for me - it's just simply way too bloated in my eyes (I'm an absolute minimalist).

In the end, I still think I'd much prefer Gentoo over this, but I can see how others like this distro - it's basically Gentoo (a wonderful distro), with a "everything works out of the box" feel to it. But meh, maybe my view is just slightly skewered because because the command-line minimal/Fluxbox installation didn't work properly =P

Though, on the other hand, if I'd never heard of Sabayon, I would've never learned about equo and sulfuer - two very epic tools, in my opinion. So now, I can continue using Gentoo with emerge/equo/sulfur, without necessarily having to always wait for absurdly long compile times.

Guess something good came out of this: Gentoo, plus these tools (I don't know for sure, but equo/sulfur was made by the Sabayon developers, right?) make the absolute perfect distro for me. Though, right now, I'm shopping for more distros and am currently on Arch Linux. But damn, equo and sulfur are great tools.

<3
Bapabooiee
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion