Replicating an existing PC into a new one (with SL)

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

thenthenio
Old Dear Hen

Replicating an existing PC into a new one (with SL)

Post by thenthenio » Wed Oct 07, 2009 20:35

Suppose you have a PC with all you need installed and that you want to replicate all the packages on a new one....
Ok, for the environment I simply backup my home directory (actually it is on a different disk) so it's very easy to do.
But what about packages?
Is there a way to have all them reinstalled on the new PC, suppose on SL5, without doing it all by hand?
In my case 99% they are coming from Entropy, but there is still a 1% coming from Portage...

Any help would be appreciated!
Mauro

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Replicating an existing PC into a new one (with SL)

Post by wolfden » Thu Oct 08, 2009 0:22

since this isn't a Desktop Environment question, moving to General Discussion

I guess I don't understand what you are asking?

You need to install packages to get the programs you want to work.

Are you talking about cloning a system so you can back it up? They make software for that. I'm not sure how that is going to work with different machines that have different hardware tho.

Shicy
Baby Hen

Post by Shicy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 0:36

put your configurations here, so users can help you :wink:

Richlion
Technological Hen

Post by Richlion » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:16

Hi,
I was always thinking on how I would do it. In the old days a UNIX backup would go onto a tape with the TAR command:
cd /
tar cvf /dev/rmt0 *

To restore you would have to install the basic operating sytem, pop in the tape and do:
tar xvf /dev/rmt1
- then reboot.

In fact the I use the TAR command as the backup tool for saving and restoring a server, mainly my application folder. Today with all the RAID tools you can have 1 massive filesystem with all your disks in it to store all your folders. So restoring the whole system is just done by again using the TAR command. In fact I took part in a server replacement in my company. Old IBM servers were delivered with a preinstalled operating system. First the operating system had to be patched from a CD. Then the tape was used to transfer the applicaiton from one server to the new one.

Now on a Linux box I was wondering whether this would also work. So I would plug in my USB drive (SL uses now about 6GB of disk space, so even an 8GB stick would do), I would backup my /home folder, backup the whole root from / onto the USB stick. After installing SL from the DVD I would plug in my USB and simply restore those two huge files using the TAR command. And then made a reboot.

What do you think?
:?
Richard

thenthenio
Old Dear Hen

Post by thenthenio » Thu Oct 08, 2009 21:34

I personally did some backups on tape /dev/mt0 or similar...
I do not want to clone.
Suppose 1st PC runs SL4.2, on the 2nd one (different hardware so cloning would have problems) I want to install SL5, so alto SO is different.
If I had a list of the installed packages (both Portage and Entropy)on the 1st PC I could go through it and installing what I see it is missing, but this could be a very long process.
Is there a way to do it automatically?

Mauro

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Fri Oct 09, 2009 0:35

Well, the one thing pops into my mind here if you are looking to just see the differences

1. The world files /var/lib/portage/world - compare them

you should be able to use diff to find the differences

thenthenio
Old Dear Hen

Post by thenthenio » Tue Oct 13, 2009 19:25

So the answer is: I have to do it by hand...

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Wed Oct 14, 2009 0:08

make a script to automate it for future stuff? I'm not a programmer so I is no helps.