Sabayon 5.0 sound problems

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 5.0 sound problems

Postby Richlion » Sun Oct 04, 2009 19:08

Hello,

I am very pleased to have Sabayon 5.0 KDE installed. Really beautiful, well done.

Now I have a problem with my sound system. With SL3.4 and 4.2 I could lauch Amarok to listen to music, at the same time I would listen to youtube or any other sounds in a web browser and at the same time talk to people on Skype.
On SL Amarok is blocking all sounds in the system!
I tried various combinations in the System Settings (Device Preferences, both Music and Communication), nothing works. I have to close Amarok to watch youtube or have any other sounds from other programs.
Amarok seems to be fine with Pulse Audio and HDA Nvidia (ALC887 Analog).
The same happens the other way around, I launch a web browser with Youtube (example), then when I want to listen to music in Amarok, I have to close the web broswer and then start the web browser.

Second thing - my microfone doesn't work with Skype, I turned on all channels on the KDE mixer. Also I didn't have any problems on SL3.4 and 4.2 on the same computer.

Where could the problem be? Anyone has similar problems with SL5 ?

Thanks for helping,
Richard.
*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
Richlion
Technological Hen

Re: Sabayon 5.0 sound problems

Postby dunsurfin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 20:51

Have you run, as root, alsaconf?
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Oct 04, 2009 21:30

Remember 5.0 is pulseaudio, so you may have the tweak you /etc/pulse/default.pa file
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Richlion » Mon Oct 05, 2009 20:10

wolfden wrote:Remember 5.0 is pulseaudio, so you may have the tweak you /etc/pulse/default.pa file

Well, alsamixer doesn't help.

As for the file you mentioned, how should I tweak it and why? With SL 3.4 and 4.2 I didn't have to do anything and everything worked out of the box. Here is the contents, I am sorry, I don't understand what all this means:
Code: Select all
#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF                                 
#                                                         
# This file is part of PulseAudio.                       
#                                                         
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or       
# (at your option) any later version.                                     
#                                                                         
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but       
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of             
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU       
# General Public License for more details.                               
#                                                                         
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
# along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,   
# Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA.           

# This startup script is used only if PulseAudio is started per-user
# (i.e. not in system mode)                                         

.nofail

### Load something into the sample cache
#load-sample-lazy x11-bell /usr/share/sounds/gtk-events/activate.wav
#load-sample-lazy pulse-hotplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav     
#load-sample-lazy pulse-coldplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav                                                                                                       
#load-sample-lazy pulse-access /usr/share/sounds/generic.wav                                                                                                         

.fail                                                                                                                                                                 

### Automatically restore the volume of streams and devices                                                                                                           
load-module module-device-restore                                                                                                                                     
load-module module-stream-restore                                                                                                                                     
load-module module-card-restore                                                                                                                                       

### Automatically augment property information from .desktop files                                                                                                   
### stored in /usr/share/application                                                                                                                                 
load-module module-augment-properties                                                                                                                                 

### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load                                                                                                   
### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --                                                                                                     
### see below -- for doing this automatically)                                                                                                                       
load-module module-alsa-sink                                                                                                                                         
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0                                                                                                                         
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input                                                                                         
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input                                                                                     
#load-module module-null-sink                                                                                                                                         
#load-module module-pipe-sink                                                                                                                                         
### joost.ruis@sabayonlinux.org : Be sure to use the line below.                                                                                                     
load-module module-hal-detect tsched=0                                                                                                                               

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so                                         
load-module module-udev-detect                                           
.else                                                                   
### Alternatively use the static hardware detection module (for systems that
### lack udev support)                                                     
load-module module-detect                                                   
.endif                                                                     

### Automatically load driver modules for Bluetooth hardware
.ifexists module-bluetooth-discover.so                     
load-module module-bluetooth-discover                       
.endif                                                     

### Load several protocols
.ifexists module-esound-protocol-unix.so
load-module module-esound-protocol-unix
.endif                                 
load-module module-native-protocol-unix

### Network access (may be configured with paprefs, so leave this commented
### here if you plan to use paprefs)                                       
#load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp                                   
#load-module module-native-protocol-tcp                                   
### joost.ruis@sabayonlinux.org : Enable this if you want to publish your soundserver on the network.
#load-module module-zeroconf-publish                                                                 

### Load the RTP reciever module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-rtp-recv                                             

### Load the RTP sender module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp format=s16be channels=2 rate=44100 description="RTP Multicast Sink"
#load-module module-rtp-send source=rtp.monitor

### Load additional modules from GConf settings. This can be configured with the paprefs tool.
### Please keep in mind that the modules configured by paprefs might conflict with manually
### loaded modules.
.ifexists module-gconf.so
.nofail
load-module module-gconf
.fail
.endif

### Automatically restore the default sink/source when changed by the user during runtime
load-module module-default-device-restore

### Automatically move streams to the default sink if the sink they are
### connected to dies, similar for sources
load-module module-rescue-streams

### Make sure we always have a sink around, even if it is a null sink.
load-module module-always-sink

### Honour intended role device property
load-module module-intended-roles

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

### If autoexit on idle is enabled we want to make sure we only quit
### when no local session needs us anymore.
load-module module-console-kit

### Enable positioned event sounds
load-module module-position-event-sounds

### Cork music streams when a phone stream is active
load-module module-cork-music-on-phone

# X11 modules should not be started from default.pa so that one daemon
# can be shared by multiple sessions.

### Load X11 bell module
#load-module module-x11-bell sample=bell-windowing-system

### Register ourselves in the X11 session manager
#load-module module-x11-xsmp

### Publish connection data in the X11 root window
#.ifexists module-x11-publish.so
#.nofail
#load-module module-x11-publish
#.fail
#.endif

### Make some devices default
#set-default-sink output
#set-default-source input

Regards,
Richard
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby Richlion » Mon Oct 05, 2009 21:18

Ok, I fixed my skype.
I checked the Skype forum and saw a lot of complaints on Pulseaudio messing up, some people removed Pulseaudio which fixed their problems. Actually I had to enable two Capture channels in Kmix to make the microphone work.

As for the sound on SL 5.0 it's a conflict between applications. When I launch youtube and start Exaile it simply displays a message that the "audio device is in use". Amarok fails to display the message. This is causing a lot of problems with some applications simply hanging, Amarok doesn't display anything but is waiting forever. I have to kill it off to make it work. When I am listening to music with Amarok or Exaile and click on a link in a web browser to start a video - the browser hangs and I have to kill. This is just a screw up and I am suprised this is really happening - is this really Linux? I cannot even watch my DVD movies without shutting down Amarok or web browsers. Never had such problems with previous SL versions.
I know it's mainly a new KDE development that's doing something wrong.
How can this be fixed?

By the way, I changed my preferred audio from Pulseaudio to my Nvidia sound card and everything still works.

Thanks in advance.
Richard
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:00

Richlion wrote:
wolfden wrote:Remember 5.0 is pulseaudio, so you may have the tweak you /etc/pulse/default.pa file

Well, alsamixer doesn't help.

As for the file you mentioned, how should I tweak it and why? With SL 3.4 and 4.2 I didn't have to do anything and everything worked out of the box. Here is the contents, I am sorry, I don't understand what all this means:
Regards,
Richard

cause it wasn't in those versions
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:05

Richlion wrote:Ok, I fixed my skype.
I checked the Skype forum and saw a lot of complaints on Pulseaudio messing up, some people removed Pulseaudio which fixed their problems. Actually I had to enable two Capture channels in Kmix to make the microphone work.

As for the sound on SL 5.0 it's a conflict between applications. When I launch youtube and start Exaile it simply displays a message that the "audio device is in use". Amarok fails to display the message. This is causing a lot of problems with some applications simply hanging, Amarok doesn't display anything but is waiting forever. I have to kill it off to make it work. When I am listening to music with Amarok or Exaile and click on a link in a web browser to start a video - the browser hangs and I have to kill. This is just a screw up and I am suprised this is really happening - is this really Linux? I cannot even watch my DVD movies without shutting down Amarok or web browsers. Never had such problems with previous SL versions.
I know it's mainly a new KDE development that's doing something wrong.
How can this be fixed?

By the way, I changed my preferred audio from Pulseaudio to my Nvidia sound card and everything still works.

Thanks in advance.
Richard

Well according to the gentoo devs, the user is pretty much on their own configuring PulseAudio. We tried to submit a half decent solution to have something working, but they wouldn't hear of it. Our configs are not going to suit the world either. One has to take and understand pulse audio, find what works for you. I can't blame the gentoo devs either as how do you provide a universal default pa.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Richlion » Tue Oct 06, 2009 19:00

Hi Wolfden,

thanks, as this is mainly a Gentoo problem, I'll go and ask around. Maybe it's just one of the new things that we will have to live with for a while. I'll see if they have a solution.

SL is the best distro around anyway. It boots up so quickly I can hardly blink 8)

Regards,
Richard
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby Richlion » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:35

Ok, to recap on this subject. What has been done with the sound system is a very nasty thing now, although things in general work.
I hope my experience will be usefull to others.
After 3 days of fiddling around I discovered that KMix starts with one of the channels set up to MAX - Front (it doesn't matter if I plug in my speakers a the back of my computer or at the front - it's the same jack). When you start sliding the control down - surprise - the sound is ON!
The most annoying thing about that channel is that the more you slide that control up, the more you here an electric vibrating sound, like it would when the speakers interact with the microfone. When I pass a certain point, let's say 70% up, the sound is so distorted it's unbearable, so I cannot use the full power of my speakers.

Futher, I keep getting a notification from Phenon, that my sound card doesn't work when I open some files, although the music continues to play.

I just hope Developers will have this fixed someday. Amarok now does work with Skype, I can also open a movie, although I still have to close Amarok to open a video or listen to any sound in a web broswer and vice versa.

That's how sound now works on Linux :roll:

Don't forget, if you use skype, which knows nothing about Pulsaudio, enable the channel Capture in KMix.

Happy listening (Haha),
Richard

PS. It strikes me how Developers tend to screw up things, do they use computers in a different way? Amarok now has an equalizer, but is not enabled - "Not supported by Phenon". So what is Phenon? Amarok Developers don't know anything about PulseAudo?
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Oct 09, 2009 0:41

PS. It strikes me how Developers tend to screw up things, do they use computers in a different way?

Please keep one thing in mind, you are running an operating sytem from a testing branch of gentoo ~ arch. So yes, bugs are going to exist, "bleeding edge" is not stable branch.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion