A couple of questions regaring SL4r1 and SL roadmap

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

A couple of questions regaring SL4r1 and SL roadmap

Postby Richlion » Wed Jun 03, 2009 14:19

Hi,

I would like to ask a couple of questions regarding SL4r1 on DVD. I just installed it on my laptop after a long while of thinking. I am now logged in with KDE3.5. I had to install Gwenview and Amarok. It took me 3 hours to install those programs, because Spritz seems to have some kind of issues and I used "emerge" instead. I would like to ask, why was Amarok excluded from the Live DVD with SL4.1? Was it because of limited space on the DVD? Is it included in the Lite KDE version?

I also noticed Epiphany is missing, which for me worked with 99% of web sites, as opposed to Konqueror and Firefox. Now we have SeaMonkey which I tried yesterday and ... to be honest, when I was watching some streaming news as I always do, my whole system was hardly responsive. I would have to wait 30 seconds for my Linux to respond to my requests, even switching between running applications was a big pain. It looks like the Mozilla project is coming to a point where performance and stability no longer matters. I wonder what's your opinion on SeaMonkey? What is the future of web browsers on SL? What will we have and what is planned to be scrapped? I understand the KDE project developers also have a part in making decisions.

As there are new releases like SL just with KDE and a roadmap has been announced, what is the status of KDE3.5? How long will it be available with SL? I know I can go to google, but I just hope someone has some quick answers. Something to add on to the SL Roadmap, like what kind of software will be removed?

Thanks in advance.
Richard
*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
Richlion
Technological Hen

Re: A couple of questions regaring SL4r1 and SL roadmap

Postby wolfden » Wed Jun 03, 2009 14:34

KDE 3.5 is branch 3.5 before branch 4 so see
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=16703

SL4-r1 has www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.0.4-r2
and
www-client/epiphany-2.24.2.1-r10 was on the x86, but not on 64, oversight probably

see for more packages
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/sabayon/pkg ... -4-x86.txt
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/sabayon/pkg ... x86_64.txt

you should also do:
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... t_to_do.3F

as spritz is no longer
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Thev00d00 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 14:51

KDE3.5 will not be in the sabayon 5 branch. It will be supported in the 4 branch, but KDE4 will take preference.
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:33

Richlion, given that, as wolfden wrote, the Spritz GUI for Entropy has been replaced by Sulfur, you should uninstall Spritz and install Sulfur if you want to use the GUI for Entropy. If you find that the Desktop Config file for Spritz is still on your Desktop (it will lose the Spritz star icon after you uninstall Spritz), just replace it with the following Desktop Config file named sulfur.desktop:

Code: Select all
[Desktop Entry]
Categories=Application;System
Comment=Entropy Graphical Package Manager
Comment[en_GB]=Entropy Graphical Package Manager
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec[$e]=sulfur %U
GenericName=
GenericName[en_GB]=
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/sulfur/sulfur-icon.png
MimeType=application/x-tar;application/x-tarz;application/x-tbz;application/x-tgz
Name=Sulfur Package Manager
Path[$e]=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DCOP-ServiceType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

and the Sulfur icon will appear on your Desktop and you will be able to launch Sulfur if you double-click on the icon.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion