problem with emerge -uav world right off the bat.

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

problem with emerge -uav world right off the bat.

Postby mrscotty99 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 19:48

[size=9]this is what i get after a clean install when i open kuroo (let it do its first time run thing) then do a "emerge --sync" then a "emerge -uav world"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kuroo output :
(!!! Ebuilds for the following packages are either all<br>!!! masked or don't exist:<br><br> &lt;dev-python/pygtk-2.9 (is blocking dev-python/pygobject-2.12.2)<br> kde-base/kde-env (is blocking kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.5)<br> net-mail/base64 (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-6.3)<br> games-emulation/mupen64-blight-input (is blocking games-emulation/mupen64-0.5-r1)<br> games-emulation/mupen64-glN64 (is blocking games-emulation/mupen64-0.5-r1)<br> games-emulation/mupen64-jttl_sound (is blocking games-emulation/mupen64-0.5-r1)
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating world dependencies ..... ..... ..... ....
!!! Ebuilds for the following packages are either all
!!! masked or don't exist:
x11-libs/libgksuui net-misc/bcm4400 net-im/kopete x11-misc/cgwd-themes-extra

... done!)

then after the emerge -uav world:

[blocks B ] <dev-python/pygtk-2.9 (is blocking dev-python/pygobject-2.12.2)
[blocks B ] kde-base/kde-env (is blocking kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.5)
[blocks B ] net-mail/base64 (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-6.3)
[blocks B ] games-emulation/mupen64-blight-input (is blocking games-emulation/mupen64-0.5-r1)
[blocks B ] games-emulation/mupen64-glN64 (is blocking games-emulation/mupen64-0.5-r1)
[blocks B ] games-emulation/mupen64-jttl_sound (is blocking games-emulation/mupen64-0.5-r1)
Last edited by mrscotty99 on Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:14, edited 1 time in total.
mrscotty99
Baby Hen

Postby cvill64 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 21:32

don't do an emerge world unless you know what you are doing :roll: !!!! I can't stress this enough, those are just masking packages, if you don't know what they mean, consult the almighty tome of gentoo-wiki to learn and you will be able to perform it :)

seriously though, no reason to run emerge world after an install, when you upgrade other packages or install new things, packages will be upgraded when needed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)
cvill64
Sagely Hen

turncated message...

Postby mrscotty99 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:47

cvill64 wrote:don't do an emerge world unless you know what you are doing :roll: !!!! I can't stress this enough, those are just masking packages, if you don't know what they mean, consult the almighty tome of gentoo-wiki to learn and you will be able to perform it :)

seriously though, no reason to run emerge world after an install, when you upgrade other packages or install new things, packages will be upgraded when needed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

sorry about that post...being so long.. diddnt know it was gonna be turncated.

i had went on to say:
that after the download of the iso and clean install i sync'd the portage tree then did a -uav world ... its not letting you update your world because multiple packages are blocking eachother. do i pick one and get rid of the other? if these programs arnt alowed to be installed on the same system at the same time why either are they? or why are they trying to be? on your 3.0 dvd, i just got rid of one and kept the other until it would -uav world and then on error only emerge -uav --resume --skipfirst untill theres nothing left to "update" . then you have not much to do...system wise then you'r free to "play" or "produce" as you wish, then 'eh tomorrow or a couple of days later you sync your tree then -uav world then if theres any thing newly updated thats on your system you can get it updated and your done.

thanx for all the info and thoughts about this,

scotty
mrscotty99
Baby Hen

Postby konstk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:57

Have to disagree with cvill64.

emerge world is the right of every gentoo (and gentoo derived) distro user. Otherwise why bother with Gentoo or Sabayon Linux? It's the reason we chose these distros. Of course it's not as easy as it seems but nothing ever is.
konstk
Simple Hen

Postby nikaya » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:24

If a package is blocked just delete the package that is named first (...is blocking) and run "emerge -uavDN world" again.Portage lets you decide whether you want to delete a package or not.The functionallity of the old package will be replaced by the new one.Both can not be installed at the same time.

@konstk
Yes,I agree with you.But Sabayon has to run on many computers and the installer copies the live-cd less or more on it.Regular Gentoo is build from the ground to your needs.With Sabayon you have to clean first your settings for your system,otherwise there will be compiled many things that are unneeded by you which will cost much unnecessary time.
nikaya
Growing Hen

Postby Keynone » Wed Nov 01, 2006 21:18

john_doe wrote:If a package is blocked just delete the package that is named first (...is blocking) and run "emerge -uavDN world" again.Portage lets you decide whether you want to delete a package or not.The functionallity of the old package will be replaced by the new one.Both can not be installed at the same time.

@konstk
Yes,I agree with you.But Sabayon has to run on many computers and the installer copies the live-cd less or more on it.Regular Gentoo is build from the ground to your needs.With Sabayon you have to clean first your settings for your system,otherwise there will be compiled many things that are unneeded by you which will cost much unnecessary time.

As a Gentoo user for 2 years prior to installing Sabayon, I agree that the "emerge -uavDN world" is something I am used to running on a weekly basis, so I am working through the make.conf file to make it work for me in Sabayon. I just wish there was an easier way to do this.
Keynone
Young Hen

Postby cvill64 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:16

Disagree? Even the gentoo devs say that emerge world MAY introduce system unstability, and in the computer world of ever changing code, its a high possibility
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby nikaya » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:28

cvill64 wrote:Disagree? Even the gentoo devs say that emerge world MAY introduce system unstability

I don't think so.Just not updating (via emerge -uavDN world) the system continiously may make it inconsistent.Doing it will resolve all dependencies.

In example:the warning before "emerge --depclean" says:
Code: Select all
*** WARNING ***  As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
*** WARNING ***  unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved.  As a
*** WARNING ***  consequence, it is often necessary to run
*** WARNING ***  `emerge --update --deep world` prior to depclean.
nikaya
Growing Hen

makin' updating even harder huh?

Postby mrscotty99 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:20

wow,
first i'd like to say i like the look of 3.2. kudos!!!

now for the complaint...

imedeately after install... i emerge --sync.. all good, then emerge -uavDN world and WHAM!
stuff blocking stuff , non existant ebuilds for stuff (like networkmanager-openvpn, which i unemerged and now cant get back). masked packages by the hand full.. (i discovered in kuroo that if you click on a package's details you can prevent that package from being updated past a certain version.. why not do that to critical system packages that would break if updated?) then here you go messin with kuroo, makin' it grey out the --oneshot check box (thats checked) keepin' stuff from being put into the world file...cant even --noconfmem (not that i really ever had or would but..) dummy proofing this stuff is soooo not nesesary, like most stuff i've seen, that tells you if you dont know what it is or means...DONT MESS WITH IT! and i dont when i dont.. i, by far am no linux expert, but i'm not a noob either...

i understand that you(as devs) want to make the distro very universal (to work on most any box out there) BUT there are those of us that would like to run the newest/latest versions of either certain or all packages that are installed. hell the gentoo install handbook has you do an emerge -u system then a emerge -u world after the completion of the portage sync after you've extracted the stage 3 tarball. (i might be slightly mistaken, just paraphrasin' here (it's been quite a while since i've done a strait gentoo install the hard way))...

what is awesome about this distro (being based on gentoo)/gentoo is that emerge -uav world is what windows update wishes it could be...not only do you get to update(whatevers updateable) the OS but anything else that you have installed as well... who wants to run an old assed version of kaffeine when you can emerge the latest one that has more features???? hey shut up! i like kaffeine..lol..

anyway i ramble... my hat is off to all-y'alls for workin your asses off and building an awesome distro!

if at first you dont succeed, --resume --skipfirst. -scotty

G.N.U. to you,
scotty
mrscotty99
Baby Hen

Postby razorback » Thu Nov 30, 2006 16:43

konstk wrote:Have to disagree with cvill64.

emerge world is the right of every gentoo (and gentoo derived) distro user. Otherwise why bother with Gentoo or Sabayon Linux? It's the reason we chose these distros. Of course it's not as easy as it seems but nothing ever is.

Having been a Gentoo user for several years I would agree that emerge world is the "right" of every gentoo user. It is also your right to cut off your right hand. Might be kind of tough to shake hands. It ain't about right. It's about smart. I appreciate the work that the Sabayon developers have put into this distribution. They discourage "emerge world" because they know how much havoc it can cause.
razorback
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion