Re-loaded/Updated packages and now no access to Sabayon

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Re-loaded/Updated packages and now no access to Sabayon

Postby sjieke » Wed May 20, 2009 9:50

According to your descriptions I think your configuration is reverted to some basic defaults.
For example I guess you use XDM as login manager instead of KDM. The default desktop session is also set to the X-window manager. Which provides the 'ugly' x-term you describe.

It's been a long time since I've seen the XDM login screen (and I can't boot a linux box to check it at the moment), but I guess you should have somewhere in that screen a drop down box (or something else) where you can specify the session you want to use. If you choose what you want there (for example KDE-4.2.2) and then login, you will get the KDE desktop.

Could you also look into the file '/etc/conf.d/xdm' there should be a line
Code: Select all
DISPLAYMANAGER=

It would be usefull to know what is filled in there.
To read the file from the terminal/xterm you have at the moment you can use the command
cat /etc/conf.d/xdm

Or to just view the line containing 'Displaymanager'
cat /etc/conf.d/xdm |grep 'DISPLAYMANAGER'

Hope this helps
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby Tony-photoplus » Wed May 20, 2009 10:42

Ok I have gone down this route before and with had no luck. Also I am not very good with terminology if I get the info it says over-write you try and it fails. Also how can I access the internet or save the file. I again don't know how to save it to a file when I can't see it as a gui.

But, will try again. Don't hold your breath, would be better if I could access it through the installation disk as I can see what I am doing
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
220 gb disk with 500gb external disk
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed May 20, 2009 11:09

if you can't over write a file than you need to be root

su
enter root password, nothing will type on your screen, type the password anyway and hit enter

you are now root and should have # sign at your prompt now you can use nano and edit files, use the key combination cntrl x to close it and hit Y when asked.

or to use the gui, open terminal and type kdesu konqueror and enter your root password when the box comes up. You now have a root file manager and can edit any file by simply clicking on it.

If in gnome you can open terminal and type su, enter root password, than type sudo nautilus --no-desktop you now have a root file manager in gnome.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Tony-photoplus » Wed May 20, 2009 11:43

Ok, I know how to get into root and I have. The grey screen came up and I logged in. There is no way of accessing different KDE or any other details. Or am I missing the point here and should be using my disk? I could access a terminal box and I went into root and typed both..
cat /etc/conf.d/xdm
cat /etc/conf.d/xdm |grep 'DISPLAYMANAGER'
Also the displamanager first of all.

All it stated was 'No such file or directory'

Which is what I had last time. So we really are back at the same place as before. Seems I am having my usual luck of not being able to resolve things.
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

Postby joeoden » Wed May 20, 2009 12:00

Tony-photoplus wrote:I again don't know how to save it to a file when I can't see it as a gui

Tony
When I started using Linux the command line really confused me, then I found
LINUX: Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition

http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz

I must admit I have not completed the whole book, but it diffently helped me understand Linux a lot better
There is still a lot I do not understand about Linux, if it wasn't for Rute I would not be able to do much more than point and click, and probably would still be using that other OS.

The book is free and can be download as html so you would be able to study and try the many examples in your spare time, I've been reading some of posts and by the looks of them you shouldn't have a problem figuring out some of the difference between Gentoo and the book

But if you can't my offer to give you assistance via private messages is still open

Cheers
Joe
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby sjieke » Wed May 20, 2009 12:11

Vary strange, as far as I know you should have the file '/etc/conf.d/xdm'.

What do you get if you use the command (after you became root)
ls /etc/conf.d

and
ls /etc/conf.d |grep xdm

Another thing you could try:
1) When you get the login screen press: CTRL-ALT-F1
2) This will get you to the first terminal, there login using your normal username and password
3) Become root by executing the command
su
and providing your root password
4) Execute the command
/etc/init.d/xdm stop

5) Execute the command
exit
to leave root and become your normal user again
6) Now execute the command
startkde

7) Press 'CTRL-ALT-F7' to go to the graphical screen
8) Do you see kde now?
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby Tony-photoplus » Wed May 20, 2009 17:11

Thanks sjieke just no luck as it keeps saying 'No such file or directory'. But I did gain access to /etc/init.d/xdm via the installation disk. It doesn't show anything that it shouldn't do to my mind, but you may think differently....

# We always try and start X on a static VT. The various DMs normally default
# to using VT7. If you wish to use the xdm init script, then you should ensure
# that the VT checked is the same VT your DM wants to use. We do this check to
# ensure that you have't accidently configured something to run on the VT
# in your /etc/inittab file so that you don't get a dead keyboard.
CHECKVT=7

# What display manager do you use ?  [ xdm | gdm | kdm | kdm-3.5 | kdm-4.0 | entrance ]
# NOTE: If this is set in /etc/rc.conf, that setting will override this one.
# KDE-specific note: kdm-3.5 and kdm-4.0 are just examples. You will find all
# possible versions by looking at the directories in /usr/kde/.
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

Now if I can gain access this way why can't I simply change it from here? I guess there must be reasons beyond my stupidity :lol:

Tony
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

Postby sjieke » Wed May 20, 2009 18:43

The text you posted should be in the file '/etc/conf.d/xdm' NOT in '/etc/init.d/xdm'

I'm currently installing Sabayon 4.1 x86 KDE version into VirtualBox to verify if nothing changed to the files... I'm still running 3.5 version and can't install because of professional reasons.

Back to your problem. You can access and fix the configuration files of your installed sabayon when booted into the liveDVD. However, the LiveDVD itself contains the same configuration files, so you can be looking at those instead of the ones of the installed version.

If the file you posted is the correct file from your installed sabayon and not from the LiveDVD then something else is wrong.
To verify you have the correct file, you could edit it and at some comment at the beginning or the end. For example append a line '# This is a changed just for testen'. The last 2 lines should than look like
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
# This is a changed just for testen

If you now reboot the LiveDVD and you open the file again, the change should still be there, if it isn't then you were looking at the LiveDVD file and not the installed one...
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby Tony-photoplus » Wed May 20, 2009 19:26

Ok, I know its the right root as its mounted /. When I am using the disk root shows up as red and you login as root password. I know also its my root as there are certain softwares etc that I had loaded. And it was exactly as I have stated above /etc/conf.d/xdm. I did try again and get into my system, it acknowledged /etc as a file and then /etc/conf.d as a file, but when adding xmd file not found. Thats wierd.

As I am a complete novice I can't access my root from the disk, I don't know how. But, I am sure there is away

Tony
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

Postby sjieke » Wed May 20, 2009 20:00

Tony-photoplus wrote:but when adding xmd file not found.

Its not xmd but xdm
sjieke
Technological Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion