Re-loaded/Updated packages and now no access to Sabayon

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re-loaded/Updated packages and now no access to Sabayon

Postby Tony-photoplus » Sun May 17, 2009 14:00

I am getting fed up, the fact that I am not giving in is that I have paid for extra bandwidth to get Sabayon working and I don't like throwing money at something and getting nothing at the end of it. It maybe peanuts to some but as I can't work its gold dust.

I reloaded Sabayon, going fine, got auto login in going and thats fine. Only when I came to working on the Entropy did it go pear shape.
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy

I followed it to the letter and rebooted and now its gone into verbose and then asking me as if I were in a terminal program for my name and password. I suspect most people would have given up and moved on, I don't do that I do try and conquer if possible, but I am now saying if this can't be fixed then Linux is a big NO and I shall have be content with Windows (which I am not content with Windows).

I did try and re-install with my disk and even there I get a bug!!

Code: Select all
Component: Sabayon Linux Installer
Version: 1.0
Summary: TB4ff74858 entropy.py:35525:addPackageToInstalledTable:OperationalError: table installedtable has 3 columns but 2 values were supplied

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 1109, in handleRenderCallback
    self.currentWindow.renderCallback()
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/progress_gui.py", line 158, in renderCallback
    self.intf.icw.nextClicked()
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 961, in nextClicked
    self.dispatch.gotoNext()
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 233, in gotoNext
    self.moveStep()
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 301, in moveStep
    rc = apply(func, self.bindArgs(args))
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/sabayon/installer.py", line 90, in doInstall
    slUpgrade.runWorldUpdate(rescue = rescue)
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/sabayon/slUtils.py", line 1250, in runWorldUpdate
    rc = Package.run(xterm_header = countstring)
  File "/usr/lib/entropy/libraries/entropy.py", line 6803, in run
    rc = self.run_stepper(xterm_header)
  File "/usr/lib/entropy/libraries/entropy.py", line 6778, in run_stepper
    rc = steps_data.get(step)()
  File "/usr/lib/entropy/libraries/entropy.py", line 6712, in do_install
    return self.install_step()
  File "/usr/lib/entropy/libraries/entropy.py", line 6442, in install_step
    rc = self.__install_package()
  File "/usr/lib/entropy/libraries/entropy.py", line 5663, in __install_package
    newidpackage = self._install_package_into_database()
  File "/usr/lib/entropy/libraries/entropy.py", line 5891, in _install_package_into_database
    self.Entropy.clientDbconn.addPackageToInstalledTable(idpackage,self.infoDict['repository'])
  File "/usr/lib/entropy/libraries/entropy.py", line 35525, in addPackageToInstalledTable
    self.cursor.execute('INSERT into installedtable VALUES (?,?)', (idpackage, repositoryName,))
OperationalError: table installedtable has 3 columns but 2 values were supplied

Local variables in innermost frame:
idpackage: 7299
self: <entropy.EntropyDatabaseInterface instance at 0xa195f0>
repositoryName: sabayonlinux.org

So how can I gain access to my Sabayon? Is it really time to kick Linux in the ditch for good?
I know the answer to the next question and that is 'Do I want to have anymore hassle with Linx if this doesn't work?'
The answer to that is NO.

Now what can go wrong when following the Wiki? Why is it as before it was after loading packages and why is it that I am jinxed?

Tony
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
220 gb disk with 500gb external disk
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

Re: Re-loaded/Updated packages and now no access to Sabayon

Postby micia » Sun May 17, 2009 14:38

Check your video drivers are fine;
*boot Sabayon, and login as root.
*check that you video modules are right with eselect:
eselect opengl list

you will get something like:
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   nvidia *
  [2]   xorg-x11
  [3]   ati

each driver is identified with a number, as you can notice.
if you got a NVIDIA card just set it to nvidia, so, in that example:
eselect opengl set 1

for an ATI card:
eselect opengl set 3

a '*' appears next to the current video driver (in my case it was already set to NVIDIA).
Try to reboot and see if it worked.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby joeoden » Sun May 17, 2009 15:58

You seem to be having a lot of interesting problems, sending you a you a message.
Joe
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby Tony-photoplus » Sun May 17, 2009 16:46

I have re-loaded yet again and will have to think how to load up the packages etc and how to avoid problems. I do have a question when it asks you to merge items in the package management, do you delete, merge or what?
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun May 17, 2009 21:25

The merging of config files is something you need to know about. Most people will hit -5 without knowing, but you should be aware of what is going to happen when you do. Any config file you have edited will be overwritten and changes gone.

Maybe you need to just use the install as is till you understand the package manager. Understand what happens when you upgrade kernels, but not the drivers. It's all about knowing how things work. equo world --ask should always be your trigger so you can see what is going to upgrade and recognize that extra work maybe needed cause of a major change is going to happen. Kernel changes is the biggest issue for people, the drivers and modules are not automatically updated with the kernel change so upon reboot it can make a mess of things. You have to be constantly aware of what changes are going to be made to your system.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Tony-photoplus » Sun May 17, 2009 23:19

wolfden wrote:The merging of config files is something you need to know about. Most people will hit -5 without knowing, but you should be aware of what is going to happen when you do. Any config file you have edited will be overwritten and changes gone.

Maybe you need to just use the install as is till you understand the package manager. Understand what happens when you upgrade kernels, but not the drivers. It's all about knowing how things work. equo world --ask should always be your trigger so you can see what is going to upgrade and recognize that extra work maybe needed cause of a major change is going to happen. Kernel changes is the biggest issue for people, the drivers and modules are not automatically updated with the kernel change so upon reboot it can make a mess of things. You have to be constantly aware of what changes are going to be made to your system.

Do I really want to know what goes on behind the scenes and understand? I would then have to be more interactive on how programming works and the system. I have difficulties understanding now due to the amount of morphine I take, but there is not only myself that would have an issue with this, I can assure you that everyone I know would just turn there back on it and look for something that would take that decision from them and that is why Windows has taken the market. I am usually gun-ho and have a go, but I am a rarity. I run a photo club, managed to get 6 comp up and running with different Linux OS and ready to teach comp photo techniques. I scoured Freecycle for all my bits and put them together. After all my hard slog and hours I was rewarded by a decline in numbers of the group. They didn't want to know anything about photo techniques on a comp. They want to click away put it into the comp on a simple photo software and click 'Print'. Yes then moan that the prints came out badly and I have to go around and calibrate their computers. I also gave a talk on how much security they need for their computers and they have to take responsibility for how they use their computers as its a bad internet world out there. They don't want to take responsibility as they feel its beyond them, they are nervous.

I wouldn't say I am a nervous person, but to know what the consequences are of something which is very, very deep and certainly beyond my understanding and many others is a bit much. Surely its not beyond the realms of Sabayon to create a piece of software that would take that responsibility away from the general user and have a get out where the geeks can tweak to their hearts content.

There are many things I come across in Linux that come up and I have no idea what its asking and just have to stab in the dark. Windows I have a fare handle on, but my area is photography. I write editorials when I can get my brain in order on Freeware photographic software. But that is something I know and anything new now is very, very difficult for me to get a handle on. And, I am sure you guys don't want e running to you every 5 min and I hate doing it as I have done lately.

What Sabayon has done is brilliant and I love it, but!

Also just say a great thank you as well for all your support and help. I try in my own way to assist people and I do that localy in my photo club and in the area I live as I have often had computers here to re-install or fix in some way. My editorials are another way I help others as well I hope. This is the site where I do my editorials for.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Tony
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon May 18, 2009 1:19

You have to keep in mind, blindly updating any OS is going to cause issues. You don't need to know programming, you just need to be aware of the basics. The same thing happens in MS windows automatic updates also. People run auto update and suddenly have issues they never had before. It's just part of the computing world.

Gentoo is heavily documented and we always try and warn people of possible issues thru the forum stickies and wiki. You have to keep in mind that the wiki is general guide line and still requires the user to be able to see out side of the box.

It's new and you just got to take the time to learn some new things. The disk works great after install so a world update isn't necessary. Work with what you got, update a little at a time, beat on it a little bit and see what makes things go. Keep the documentation at your side. The entropy maintainers do their best to make it as easy possible, but can only do so much.

:D

what kinda camera you use? dslr?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby kodiakmax » Mon May 18, 2009 5:10

wolfden wrote:You have to keep in mind, blindly updating any OS is going to cause issues.

I have to agree. I noticed Tony, how you mention the windows as a just make a decision for me type OS. Keep in mind that windows has it's own problems. Look how many updates they put out because something doesn't work for somebody. But if that's the type of OS you want to use nobody is stopping you from using it. Linux is the way it is, It deffinately is not for everyone. You do have to pay a little more attention to what your doing, but you get more for it. Perhaps OSX Leopard would be more to your liking. A lot of people have had success install that on their PC's due to MAC's move to intel procs. That's what's great about computers, you can get one that fits your computing style.
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby Tony-photoplus » Mon May 18, 2009 10:09

I can see what you are saying, as there are many times COMODO asks me what to do in Windows and personally I haven't get the foggiest idea, but I do know if I press something I can go back and look in the files and re-arrange it. I have used other 32bit Linux and I can't remember having to make as many decisions on these things as I have to Sabayon. I have one at the moment ._cfg0000_package.use /etc/portage/package.use 0000. It is telling me in a certain file that there is something I have to either merge or delete. There is no way I can make that decision, the only thing I have to work on is instinct. My instinct tells me its 0000, which is nothing there, so presumably I get rid of it. On the other hand it means something to the computer, as binary is its building blocks and therefore don't delete it.

--- /etc/portage/package.use   2008-05-09 10:14:06.000000000 +0000
+++ /etc/portage/._cfg0000_package.use   2009-05-17 19:21:50.000000000 +0000
@@ -34,12 +34,12 @@
 mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird -linguas_en_GB -linguas_es_AR -linguas_es_ES -linguas_fy -linguas_fy_NL -linguas_ga -linguas_ga_IE -linguas_gu_IN -linguas_ka -linguas_ku -linguas_nb -linguas_nb_NO -linguas_nn -linguas_nn_NO -pa_IN -linguas_pl -linguas_pt -linguas_pt_BR -linguas_pt_PT -linguas_sv_SE -linguas_zh_CN -linguas_zh_TW
 media-video/mplayer x264 dvdnav mp2 openal mmxext radio rtc rar tga tivo zoran cpudetection cddb cdparanoia 3dnow 3dnowext sse sse2 vidix amr bl ftp lirc md5sum pnm
 kde-base/kicker -kdehiddenvisibility beagle
-net-www/mplayerplug-in divx gmedia realmedia wmp -firefox
+www-plugins/mplayerplug-in divx gmedia realmedia wmp -firefox
 x11-themes/sabayonlinux-artwork symlink
 >=media-sound/soundkonverter-0.2.90-r1 kdeenablefinal lame
 app-misc/ddccontrol -gtk -gnome
 dev-java/swt cairo
-net-p2p/azureus source
+net-p2p/vuze source
 kde-base/kdesktop pertty
 x11-wm/aquamarine -kdeenablefinal
 xfce-base/xfdesktop thunar-vfs
@@ -156,7 +156,7 @@
 net-irc/inspircd mysql sqlite
 games-fps/worldofpadman maps
 dev-libs/libmcs -kde
-net-www/gnash -kde
+www-plugins/gnash -kde
 media-video/vlc xulrunner
 media-video/totem xulrunner
 x11-apps/fusion-icon -qt4

It tells me if I click on it has many links, that confuses the issue even more.

So in reality I have to research every conflict. Then again there is techno speech when you do research and that confuses you even more. My reseach suggests I merge, but is that right as there is also a 'BUG' under this research
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_dispatch-conf
I agree there are problems with Windows and conflicts but that was more in in Win'95/'98 and 2000. I have very little if any problems with WindowsXP. The only problems with Windows is its poor ability to be secure, its CRAP. The amount of security one has to load to be kind of safe is amazing, I have 6 programs, Ant-virus, Malware, Spyware, Firewall, HIPS, and another one (can't remember). And as I have said before most don't want to know or take the trouble to want to know. Windows now caters for that, thats why they are where they are because people just want it to work, but they don't understand computers don't in reality work that way.

Maybe its because there is an expectation that computers think for themselves and do everything for themselves. After all they are computers! Aren't they? :lol:

Sorry I am more a philosopher, but I do get my hands dirty 8)

On the other hand there are great people like you who have the skills that we can call upon and you live and breath every binary number 0 and 1. A very simple thinking with just two numbers with such great potential to be far more complex and frustrating than I have ever imagined. :lol:

Tony
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon May 18, 2009 10:24

Well a rule of thumb is you merge the config files if you haven't personally modified them. Files in /etc/conf.d/ are always a must check out for me. As you use and become familiar with files in the system it gets easier.

Still didn't answer what camera you use for photography :P
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion