SabayonLinux: black screen problems

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

lxnay
Land Owner

SabayonLinux: black screen problems

Post by lxnay » Wed Oct 11, 2006 22:39

It is caused by the wrong resolution information being reported to X.Org.
You have to force the resolution fo something like 1024x768.
Just try to boot with (at least):

Code: Select all

res=1024x768
Thank you.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+

terlmann
Growing Hen

Post by terlmann » Mon Feb 19, 2007 18:34

3.1? don't we have 3.26 now, and almost 3.3?
signature banned. User banned by the Sabayon Linux Forum Staff.

fofo412
Young Hen

Post by fofo412 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 17:37

terlmann wrote:3.1? don't we have 3.26 now, and almost 3.3?
Ease up!!! This bit of info just saved my butt!!!!!

Ron.W
Simple Hen

Post by Ron.W » Wed May 23, 2007 14:32

Similar Problem, but there seem to be other reasons besides the "res" boot-option.

I have a 1440x900 TFT-Display. I am using still 3.2 with beryl, which works great. Graphics is NVIDIA gforce Go 6600 (128MB), Main RAM=512MB. Should be sufficient for normal usage... My menu.lst runs like that allready:
[...]
title Sabayon-Linux
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.18-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda6 quiet init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 res=1440x900 refresh=50 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.18-gentoo-r4
[...]
Nevertheless I get sometimes black screens/windows when opening casual programs (or maximizing them from Taskbar after a while) All programs are affected, OOO as well as Firefox, Konqueror or Kwrite and others. Only the content of the particular window is completely black, and if it runs fullscreen, the complete display turns black.

I noticed, that it helps to reduce the size of the window a little, and the content of the window will be displayed again. Restoring the original size or above again turns the respective window black again.
The more windows are opened, the smaller is the size of the window which is necessary in order to display the content. But strange enough, in the same moment I am able to open other programs at random choice, with their windows being displayed perfectly.

What's going on there? Is there a known fix by any chance?

Ron.

pxc
Growing Hen

Post by pxc » Sun May 27, 2007 23:39

I have a "black screen" problem with Sabayon on my laptop, but I think the problem goes deeper than graphics. It's an old IBM Thinkpad T-20, and so it probably doesn't support some features Sabayon looks for (like ACPI). I got the Gentoo LiveCD to boot nicely with the following options:

Code: Select all

gentoo acpi=off doapm noapic nolapic dopcmcia
Hopefully at least some of those options will work with Sabayon. I'll be sure to give it a whirl after Gentoo finishes doing the base install.

PS: Just for clarification, Sabayon gets me to the first boot screen where I can choose which kernel to boot, etc, but I never get to the bootsplash (and with the bootsplash disabled, I still get nowhere).

Ron.W
Simple Hen

Post by Ron.W » Thu May 31, 2007 22:26

...seems somebody else has experienced the strange black-window problems I described above: http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... ck+windows
Looks like a temporary sulution.

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:07

I wonder if anyone can get a temperature reading on any or all temperature sensors in their pc's when this happens. Could be warm to hot video ram ? that add's to this problem.

Also if it is the driver then maybe using and alternative / generic one say instead of emerge and 9755 try to download and run the NVI*.run from the unix driver part of nvidia website .
As root in terminal and no X running / console login.
cd to folder where file is and run " sh ./NVI*.run " , follow the questions etc . untill finished and it asks for "would you like to run the inbuild configuration thingy" type question and the answer obviously = yes answer.

Reasoning = might be the gentoo driver that is still buggy or any other numbered gentoo one and using nvi*.run might fix it ? and or contains something the gentoo ones does not.
Personally 9755 works best for me , 100.x is a bit more unstable on my laptop.
Have seen several linux distro hanging at boot for 5 to 10 secs then continues with 100.x driver installed. (1440x900 @60hz nvidia 7800gtx)

PS> what is up with the incorrect 59.95hz instead of 60hz ? only in linux / 100.x driver for me.
( USA 110v 60hz , UK 220V 50hz not fractions 59.95hz ? )

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Click number / version you want and then right click and save the nvi*.run type file to desktop for later install. Might be a good idea to restart and then login to console + root.

Ron.W
Simple Hen

Post by Ron.W » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:23

WarraWarra wrote:I wonder if anyone can get a temperature reading on any or all temperature sensors in their pc's when this happens. Could be warm to hot video ram ? that add's to this problem.
At least the black window contents aren't related to any temperature reading. This happens only when a specific number of windows are opened (7), regardless in which viewport. Doesn't make any difference when I set the gpu and its memory under stress by glxgears -info, which gives me average 1300-1800(max2200) fps and raises temperature from 43°/41°C to 85°/67°C (Core/Ambient). The window size is critical however. If the windowsize of a window with blacked content is reduced, the content will be displayed immediately.
WarraWarra wrote: Also if it is the driver then maybe using and alternative / generic one say instead of emerge and 9755 try to download and run the NVI*.run from the unix driver part of nvidia website .
As root in terminal and no X running / console login.
cd to folder where file is and run " sh ./NVI*.run " , follow the questions etc . untill finished and it asks for "would you like to run the inbuild configuration thingy" type question and the answer obviously = yes answer.

Reasoning = might be the gentoo driver that is still buggy or any other numbered gentoo one and using nvi*.run might fix it ? and or contains something the gentoo ones does not.
Personally 9755 works best for me , 100.x is a bit more unstable on my laptop.
Have seen several linux distro hanging at boot for 5 to 10 secs then continues with 100.x driver installed. (1440x900 @60hz nvidia 7800gtx)
I'll check this as soon as possible. Thanks for the hint. I'm using same res on nvidia Go 6600 /128MB
WarraWarra wrote: PS> what is up with the incorrect 59.95hz instead of 60hz ? only in linux / 100.x driver for me.
( USA 110v 60hz , UK 220V 50hz not fractions 59.95hz ? )
I have the same strange reading, 59,94Hz with nvidia 1.0-9629, regardless whether being pluged to the mains (50Hz) or not, or even without any electrical installation around.

Ron.

P.S.: Just updated beryl to ver. 1.2, didn't change anything.

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:34

Think it might be the driver.

Cpu temp going from 43 to 86 = too much load on cpu and not enough being done by video card or at least this is my understanding , might be wrong here.

9755 I get 13000fps avg using the laptop 7800gtx and has spiked to 18000fps depending on background tasks.

Your video card + cpu is a very good mix and should run close to or even outperform my cpu/video card combo in reality. 8000fps or there about's is closer to what yours should do.
My cpu is slowing the video card down in reality.

I have had some success with pclinuxos + cuda nvidia driver + virtualbox + SL in virtualbox

The cuda driver will / should offload some work from the cpu que to the video card / balance it as video cards has insanely powerfull proccessors but only for some type of processing.
Narrow/deep or wide/shallow either way it ran extremely smooth with 2.5ghz speed single cpu in virtualbox on laptop core duo 2.16ghz t2600 ? weard.

I see the 9755 has been removed from the normal download link. Here is backup download link's.

1st one x86 , 2nd one 64bit
32bit
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... 5-pkg1.run
64bit
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... 5-pkg2.run

Ron.W
Simple Hen

Post by Ron.W » Wed Jul 11, 2007 16:09

Well, WarraWarra this was actually the GPU temperature from the readings in nvidia-settings window. Nvidia drivers tell me they will throttle at 105°C, just as in MS-Win. But I found a notacable loss of fps already when temp exceeds the 80°C mark.

Frame Rates were even lower, before I activated hardware cursor shaddow in the nvidia-settings, which was surprisingly deactivated by default in my Sabayon, so X had to emulate this by software, I think. I had framerates around 200...300 fps only, and each window movement made CPU power up to 1,7 GHz. Beryl ran astonishingly smooth with that, anyway. But this didn't change anything in concern of the black window content, which I had hoped for.

Just found out I can't get any readings from CPU-Temp (/proc/acpi/thermal_zone and /proc/acpi/fan are empty both), though fan activity follows exactly the needs and the rest of ACPI seems at least to work perfectly. I'll start a new thread to clean up with that.

Yesterday's emerge beryl seemed to fix the problem primarily. Beryl Version is now 1.2 , and I had not seen any black windows the first time after I updated. But again: if more than 8 windows are opened (before was: 6), the refresh of the windows seems to be delayed a little, and the next window opens with black content, exactly as seen before. It doesn't make any difference if windows are opened in other viewports.

Interessting detail: System load on an 1.7 GHz Pentium is 80-100% (unthrottled!) when black window content issue occurs, from which X uses constantly about 30% and beryl another 30% (normal Values with less windows opened 0,5%...8% av. (max 16) for Beryl and 2%...12% av. (max 20) for X.

Didn't have a chance to test the 9755 drivers until now. Will have to deal with the missing ACPI temp reading first, since I am not keen on getting my CPU fried during the tests...

Ron.