Japanese input Method

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

avallera
Baby Hen

Japanese input Method

Post by avallera » Fri Feb 06, 2009 23:23

Hi... I am a windows user trying to switch to the sabayon world, everything has gone great until now.

I have been trying to set up the japanese input method for days but it have been impossible. I searched the forum and followed all the instructions, but nothing...

The main problem comes when I try to emerge uim but it doesnt shows up....

I would really thank help on this...

thanks!

zutsu
Baby Hen

Re: Japanese input Method

Post by zutsu » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:41

How far did you get? I have been trying to get this to work since 3.5, but haven't tried again with Sabayon 4.0. I was able to get kana input no problem (hiragana and katakana), but kanji wouldn't pop up like they are supposed to when I type. (Although it would get underlined for "conversion" like it is supposed to.) I thought it might be some sort of a problem with not having a proper dictionary file for kanji, but I added that and still no dice. There is info online about how to do this for Gentoo, but sabayon uses a slightly different system...

Love sabayon and have been using it for years now, but this is my one major qualm. I'd given it a break until recently (I mean getting the japanese input, not sabayon), but maybe I'll give it a try again. It shouldn't really be this difficult of a thing to do, especially for linux. (Have successfully done it in many other linux distributions with no trouble...) I'll reply back if I figure it out. Please post if you do. Please post anyone else who is wiser than me and already has this figured out.

DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Post by DHalens » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:05

I tried this too with no luck at all. I started my research at http://www.scim-im.org/wiki/documentati ... ion/gentoo but couldn't make anything.
Also, scim and skim where so unstable...
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile

mobilehunter
Growing Hen

Post by mobilehunter » Wed May 06, 2009 12:43

avallera wrote:Hi... I am a windows user trying to switch to the sabayon world, everything has gone great until now.

I have been trying to set up the japanese input method for days but it have been impossible. I searched the forum and followed all the instructions, but nothing...

The main problem comes when I try to emerge uim but it doesnt shows up....

I would really thank help on this...

thanks!
You can try ibus.

Code: Select all

emerge ibus
emerge ibus-anthy
ibus-setup
create .xprofile at your home directory, and fill these info:

Code: Select all

export XMODIFIERS="@im=ibus"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="ibus"
export QT_IM_MODULE="xim"