sabayon distrubs other linux installations!

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: sabayon distrubs other linux installations!

Postby albfneto » Wed Feb 11, 2009 22:34

Yes, do. Your linuxes are also installed of FAT32 partition?
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
albfneto@fcfrp.usp.br
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby exsencon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 23:20

albfneto wrote:Yes, do. Your linuxes are also installed of FAT32 partition?

No,all linuxes are on ext3 partitions.The fat partition just serves as a "common home folder" for WIn and the linuxes.
exsencon
Young Hen

Postby frisil » Thu Feb 12, 2009 0:06

I think that was a joke, man! You cannot install Linux on FAT because unix rights are not supported.

By the way, be careful with large FAT partitions, I once had an external drive with fat (back in the days when I used windoze, many years ago) and after a while a lot of files got corrupted. IMO FAT is not safe for storing important data.
frisil
Young Hen

Postby exsencon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 13:22

frisil wrote:I think that was a joke, man! You cannot install Linux on FAT because unix rights are not supported.

By the way, be careful with large FAT partitions, I once had an external drive with fat (back in the days when I used windoze, many years ago) and after a while a lot of files got corrupted. IMO FAT is not safe for storing important data.

Definitely a joke!
Regarding FAT partitions,I found it an easy way to have something that Win and Linux can read together. Now with more and more support in linux for NTFS it becomes less necessary than in the past.
And don't worry,my REALLY important files are double and even triple backed up on other media!Because of course,you're right when your external disk decides one day it had enough,wether it be Fat partitions or other you're in trouble.But isn't that the fate of every disk? So I make backups of backups on different media and hope for the best.
exsencon
Young Hen

Postby frisil » Fri Feb 13, 2009 15:13

Have you ever considered using ext3 as data storage for Linux and Windoze? Ext3 is not supported out of box in windoze, but you can get drivers that make it work. Although I have no experience with these drivers, as I don't use windoze anymore (since about 6 years).

BTW, my old external drive was fine, I checked it and reformated and it worked. It was the FAT filesystem that was broken, not the drive. And if you got file corruption, a backup usually won't do you any good, because you back up corrupted files thinking they are all right. You'll only know when you try to access these files and than find out they no longer work.
frisil
Young Hen

Previous

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion