Welcome to the Four-Point-Oh Portal

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Welcome to the Four-Point-Oh Portal

Postby stucky » Tue Dec 16, 2008 20:53

Really like the new design. Looking forward to the new release.

KDE 4.X is the open source Vista. Stop trying to turn linux into a Vista or MacOS clone. Let it be it's own thing. One of the reasons I prefer fluxbox or pekwm.
stucky
Baby Hen

Postby gnosti » Fri Dec 19, 2008 15:22

AWESOME!!! I will be throwing some $$$'s your way! As always the colors look sweet. I love sabayon, I always look forward to the next release. I haven't stopped using Sabayon on my main box since it was known as RR4. As always keep up the good work guys and happy holidays.

KDE 4.X is the open source Vista. Stop trying to turn linux into a Vista or MacOS clone. Let it be it's own thing.

Why not? Windows is now trying to be Linux (see Windows Vista Aero /Linux Compiz, Windows 2008 Server Core /Linux Shell) but as usual failing horribly and Mac OS is just re-vamped bsd. Sorry had to throw that in there. I however agree kde4 (as much as I like eye candy) is still to unstable, buggy, and featureless to be a workable desktop environment. I know, I've been using it since 4.0 and have tested thoroughly every version since on a throw away archlinux box. Bleeding edge doesn't have to mean borked and disfunctional, in fact the other mission statement of Sabayon is "to just work" which is certainly a conflict with kde4 because it just doesn't work. I do believe however that kde4 will eventually be a workable option, just not right now.
gnosti
Baby Hen

Postby denijane » Fri Dec 19, 2008 17:30

I just tried KDE 4.0.5 few days ago on SL - it crashes heavily and my panels disappeared and I found no way to add a panel, nor 2 (that I'm currently using). It might look good, but it's absolutely not functional. It might be just me, but I couldn't figure out how to even add a shortcut to a program I use. Widgets might be nice, but surely are not enough. So, I like KDE 3.5.10 and I'll stick with it until I see something that functional.
Though it would be nice to have the latest KDEs in Entropy for the fun of trying them.
And yeah, if someone knows how to restore my bottom panel - let me know. Not that it's that important.
denijane
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Dec 19, 2008 20:49

one really can't compare 4.0.5 to what is out today, kde 4.2 beta2 aka 4.1.85. It came out yesterday and after doing some fixes with nvidia xorg settings, it been pretty solid for me. Things are still missing yet and we will have an updated KDE coming to entropy for you to play with.

I just don't understand the madness for all this heavy graphical stuff that is useless. Yea sure it looks cool, but at a price. I find myself going the opposite way to get back to the simplicity again. That is why I like awesome tiling window manager, simple and just works. Everyone has their likes and dislikes tho and that is what makes linux great, don't like, change it - customization, woot

:santa:
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby denijane » Sun Dec 21, 2008 17:16

Oh, the madness is pretty easy to understand - what's the point of having the latest and most expensive video card if you don't have a sufficiently heavy graphical environment and applications for it. :wink:
I also find that I prefer more simplistic desktops. Currently, I'm not even using Compiz. Sure, it's pretty, but it gets annoying when you just have to get your work done. And it drives me crazy when I'm out of time and patience, to have windows jumping all over the screen, it's like they are mocking me :evil: :lol:
denijane
Growing Hen

Postby stevencomerthornley » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:27

thank you for your wonderful work

it really feels like something is happening that is cool
Dual boot XP/Sabayon64bit
amd64 4200+ x2
GeForce 7900GS 256MB
MSI K8N Neo4-F 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD MB
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 610W PSU
OCZ Platinum 2G DDR 400
Creative X-Fi / on board AC'97sound
4 hdd-->xp/multimedia/storage/linux
stevencomerthornley
Growing Hen

Postby dagurasu » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:43

I'll pile one on for kde 3.5. No offense to anyone, but 4.whatever seems like it's written by young modern-educated programmers who are most interested (and well trained) in writing elegant code, but less interested in,... and less trained in or interested in code being useable to get real world work done on systems that are relied on daily to get business done.

Hopefully the nice coding (so they say) will have advantages in the long run that work out, but it will not be anything like kde 3.5 even if it is eventually as featured, and if I'm going to try something diferent... then I might as well switch to gnome... never thought I'd say that.
For the moment though, 3.5 is still sufficient and maybe it really will stick around.
dagurasu
Simple Hen

Previous

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion