SabayonLinux 3.1/3.2: wishlist

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

SabayonLinux 3.1/3.2: wishlist

Postby lxnay » Mon Oct 02, 2006 20:07

So, we are wondering on the new features that could come with the next stable release:
These are for now, the official ones

• 2.6.18 kernel
  • AIGLX
  • X.Org optimal resolution autodetection (we'll keep res= boot option just to avoid any problems)
  • Beryl/Emerald stable (we'll drop compiz-quinnstorm) for XGL and AIGLX
  • Packages selection according to the chosen Desktop Environment (something like a flag to let the Installer to remove the other Desktop Environments ? For eg. if I choose KDE and I want to remove GNOME, enlightenment, fluxbox and XFCE)
  • Non-intrusive Upgrade (maybe for 3.3? - need Portage/Python documentation)
  • dmraid support (?? uhm...)
  • Democracy Player 0.9 (?)
  • All the bugs that have been fixed on SL miniEditions
Last edited by lxnay on Sun Oct 15, 2006 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby random guy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 20:30

Packages selection according to the chosen Desktop Environment (something like a flag to let the Installer to remove the other Desktop Environments ? For eg. if I choose KDE and I want to remove GNOME, enlightenment, fluxbox and XFCE)

great, really would want that. but that should be the rough selection and it would allow for some slight modifications if the user wants, for example i use kde so kopete would install automatically but maybe i dont want that and want gaim instead, or maybe i like gdesklets in kde more than superkaramba so i would be able to select kde and then be able to refine it some. i think all of these are possible with andaconda installer already right?

i know you said that wine was a little large but who knows if later there may be a little bit of extra room on the dvd and that can be included. i heard that cedega is good but i dont know if that can be also distributed since i think you need an account yet the source is open (ya weird aint it). havent checked but does it have ntfs write on it?

other than that all i can think of that i would change is the boot splash the bar on the bottom with the icons on top of it are rather large, maybe a more sleek and refined look with them smaller... but that is just a personal opinion. maybe you could even get some people to recommend additional desktop pictures and maybe included superkaramba themes aswell...
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby evm » Mon Oct 02, 2006 20:52

xpde
evm
Growing Hen

Postby random guy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 22:38

<------- (shudders at the sight of the screen shots)

it seems like a nice enviorment but they made it look a little too much like windows, they could have at least had a non-windows like background image.

by the way i was looking around larrythecow.com and saw this

http://gentooexperimental.org/script/repo/list

maybe some scripts there that are wanted. i personally would love anything that had to do with speeding up portage.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby kennylog » Tue Oct 03, 2006 22:29

the most important thing for me looks like the option to choose the packages to install: like the DE and maybe the program's too. like do i need all those audio players?

this for the dvd ofcourse :)

i look forward to new releases ;) but please do take your time
kennylog
Growing Hen

Postby ed » Wed Oct 04, 2006 21:59

An sysvinit replacement would be nice but none are stable yet.

'Optimal' resolution detection might not be so good if not done properly. If it's a TFT, go for the highest resolution obviously. If it's a CRT, you shouldn't. I know that idiot Ladisalv Bodnar has complained about 1024x768 being too low but it'll look better on a 17" CRT than 1600x1200. Having said that, SUSE wanted me to run 1280x1024 until I told them to fsck off. If you can correctly probe the monitor, go for it, otherwise leave it alone.

I'd use rules like this:

If a TFT:
run at maximum resolution,

else if CRT:
take horizontal screen dimension / 0.25mm to be horizontal res, then find nearest resolution that's 4:3 (I HATE 1280x1024 being run on CRT's) that matches that number. On a 17" this will give you 1280x960, on a 21" 1600x1200. so long as the refresh rate is 85Hz, otherwise drop to 75Hz and maybe lower res until OK. This will give you [email protected] on a crapper 17". Once res is found, run at highest refresh.

else if probe has failed (nothing finds my Iiyama):
run at 1024x768, 60Hz and prompt user to change it manually (but don't break it with the offer of the nv driver as SUSE tried on me).
ed
Simple Hen

Postby lxnay » Fri Oct 06, 2006 21:23

SL 3.1 changelog:
Code: Select all
# beryl stuff + AIGLX
# installer fixes
# move to beryl
# change release version?
# memtest+
# video_detect.sh new stuff
# nvidia 9625
# ati 8.29.6
# kicker-compiz
# kernel 2.6.18
# X.Org Resolution autodetection
# fix Intel Video (xorg-server !!)
# xf86-video-ati-6.6.3

So, the installer stuff has been postponed to >3.1
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby kennylog » Fri Oct 06, 2006 22:45

looks like a great list of changes lxnay, can't wait to try it
kennylog
Growing Hen

New IDE for development-WideScreen

Postby javabiz » Sat Oct 07, 2006 16:31

In keeping with the Ruby hoopla-and other programming development Sabayon Linux could add WideScreen IDE to it's Development menu.
http://www.widestudio.org/
javabiz
Young Hen

Postby evm » Sat Oct 07, 2006 23:14

linux kernel 2.16.19

i have it installed on my comp and it runs better then 2.16.17-r7/r8 and 2.16.18

evm
evm
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion