DVI out switch

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

evilnone
Young Hen

DVI out switch

Post by evilnone » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:21

Ok basically I have my desktop and have 1 DVI out on the back which i use for my monitor... the problem I am having and im not sure if it is something I can fix or not.... I use my pc and hook it into my hd-tv to watch movies and the such using my dvi out... but when I switch them back and forth I have to reboot to get the picture back. Is there anything I can do to be able to switch from my tv to my monitor or vice versa without having to reboot?

Normally it wouldnt matter for the reboot but since my wifey likes to watch movies sometimes I want on my pc and cant change it over to reboot.... anyways I was just checking to see if there was a solution (btw when I ran windows I had the same problem)

thanks in advance

rand.a
Growing Hen

Re: DVI out switch

Post by rand.a » Sat Jul 19, 2008 13:36

Reboot? Have you tried simply restarting X?

evilnone
Young Hen

Post by evilnone » Sat Jul 19, 2008 16:25

no i have not restarted x however I am not sure how to do that without seeing the picture.... basically i just was wondering if there was a way to move from the tv or monitor to the other without doing anything....

rand.a
Growing Hen

Post by rand.a » Sat Jul 19, 2008 19:31

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. You would need to use a program like xrandr i believe to change resolutions just before swapping monitors. Its pretty simple just to use the stated key-combo to quickly restart X and have it rescan for the proper resolution.