donations and tax deductions

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

acfreema
Young Hen

donations and tax deductions

Post by acfreema » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:00

i'll be starting a new job in the near future, one that will afford me a chance to make the charitable contributions that i've shirked while in college and for a while after. i plan on donating to several causes, but, because i'm in america, i'm most interested in the ones that qualify as non-profits so i can deduct them from my income.

can anyone tell me if sabayon is registered as a non-profit and if donations are deductible? i know that seti is, and i'm assuming that other places (specifically, foss projects) must also qualify.

any information would be appreciated.

Azerthoth
Simple Hen

Re: donations and tax deductions

Post by Azerthoth » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:13

Sabayon is Italian, highly doubtful that it is a US non-profit.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:30

Well, there's always the FSF (Free Software Foundation):

http://www.fsf.org/

A very worthy non-profit organisation if you want to donate specifically to non-profit FOSS organisations.

acfreema
Young Hen

Post by acfreema » Sun Jun 22, 2008 21:28

i may consider the free software foundation, but there are a couple of groups that i feel have earned my support - gentoo and sabayon, specifically. frustrating for someone like me is that gentoo is a different classification of non-profit and is not deductible :(
i did find some info about this, but i will make it a point to request current news before sending funds

acfreema
Young Hen

Post by acfreema » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:58

Azerthoth wrote:Sabayon is Italian, highly doubtful that it is a US non-profit.
after reading a bit more, it looks like the project needs to be registered as a 501c3 before donations can be considered tax deductible. gentoo is a 501c6, not deductible :-(
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-692974.html