stunning

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

neighborlee
Young Hen

stunning

Post by neighborlee » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:28

hi there..

I actually thought I might consider trying gentoo/sabayon again..but oh to my horror I went to a chat room called #sabayon and oh boy was that a mistaske. To my surprise actually ( maybe not, afterall this IS linux we're talking here ) I was met with vicious assaults on my character , calling me 'ignorant'. Im sure the person that did that wasn't speaking for all of sabayon, but honeslty no matter how he meant it the need to use such wording I find atrocious, callous and just plain illogical when so many other avenues could have been taken ( not to mention extreme ). I can't imagine thinking things would change and that the RTFM/dumbass mentality would have disappeared from linux, when in fact it seems to be as strong as ever . I presume maybe this was just a 'off night' and maybe the channel was overrun with simply nasty elite 'youngsters', but either way really alarming and I thought someone should know about it. I have logs btw so if anyone wants to see that Im not lying feel free to ask me as I would be very happy to share upon receiving such a request.

This is not a whine, waaaaaaa poor me; as much as people should not be treated this way ever , and my choice to make sure it didnt go unnoticed.
I dont take injustice kindly apparantly ;)

cheers
nl

rand.a
Growing Hen

Re: stunning

Post by rand.a » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:30

<neighborlee> hmmmm is entropy actually attempting to introduce a binary pool of apps for gentoo as Im seeing 'binary' in descript on wiki. ( and stuff about self contained packages)
<c0nv1ct> well, its a binary package manager
<neighborlee> meaning ?
<c0nv1ct> meaning... the answer is yes
<Vertgo> it's a binary package manager rofl.
<neighborlee> yes but..you must admit..
<neighborlee> that
<neighborlee> gentoo isnt known
<neighborlee> for binary packages
<Vertgo> Okay?
<neighborlee> so dont rofl me
<neighborlee> ;)
<Vertgo> Is this gentoo?
<c0nv1ct> neighborlee, its for sabayon, not gentoo
<neighborlee> yes
<Vertgo> it's a gentoo fork
<Vertgo> =]
<neighborlee> yes but its nEVER usred binary pacakges
<c0nv1ct> its gentoo compatible though
<Vertgo> OKay?
<neighborlee> so I wanted to be sure
<c0nv1ct> neighborlee, uh, yes it does
<Vertgo> So it it now.
<neighborlee> Vertgo, STOP IT
<c0nv1ct> neighborlee, never heard of binhost?
<neighborlee> no
<Vertgo> Ignorant?
<c0nv1ct> Vertgo, affirmative
<Vertgo> =]
<Vertgo> 10-4
<neighborlee> ah ok I get it now
<neighborlee> so gentoo/sabayon is only for elitist assholes who dont mind name calling ..anything to make themselves LOOK elite ;)
<neighborlee> wow , am I not surprised.
<neighborlee> thx im glad I found out when I did
<Vertgo> neighborlee, no, not even close.
<c0nv1ct> huh?
* neighborlee ([email protected]/neighborlee) has left #sabayon ("Leaving")

You didnt know about binhost, after claiming that gentoo never uses binary packages. Thats called ignorance, its not an insult, its a fact. Vicious assaults? Hardly....

Iwonder|too
Baby Hen

Post by Iwonder|too » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:37

Do you know the definition of ignorant? Maybe you should look it up! It's not an insult ,if it hurts your feelings you should stick with windows til you grow up.

rand.a
Growing Hen

Post by rand.a » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:46

<neighborlee> you can apologize now before I make a WWW blog post about this outrage, or let it go and face the music..choice is all yours ;)
<neighborlee> I am getting ready to push POST ;)
<c0nv1ct> you started off ignorant, dont let it progress to stupidity
<neighborlee> consider it done.
<c0nv1ct> atleast ignorance can be cured
<neighborlee> post made on sabayon forum
<neighborlee> cccccccccccccccya charlie ;)
<c0nv1ct> oh noes
<neighborlee> oh dear
<neighborlee> oh me oh MY ohhhh
<neighborlee> oh gosh darn
<neighborlee> OOPS
<c0nv1ct> paste the URL of your blog
<c0nv1ct> i'll pass it around
<neighborlee> I refuse
<neighborlee> that woudl be ignorant.
<neighborlee> oh well ;))
<neighborlee> darn ge gollie anyway
<neighborlee> chow
<c0nv1ct> lol, vicious assaults, going from trolling IRC to trolling the forum isnt going to get you anywhere
<neighborlee> Please leave a message after the beep , and I will get back to you just as soon as I feel like it: BEEEEEEEEEEEP

Maturity levels are at an all time low it seems.

neighborlee
Young Hen

Post by neighborlee » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:48

Iwonder|too wrote:Do you know the definition of ignorant? Maybe you should look it up! It's not an insult ,if it hurts your feelings you should stick with windows til you grow up.
Yes I do actually...and you fit it perfectly. Look it up.

I believe the entire team should be embarrased at this juncture.

cheers
nl

rand.a
Growing Hen

Post by rand.a » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:54

It appears he has a history of IRC idiocy:

http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html

Kicked from #suse it seems?

neighborlee
Young Hen

Post by neighborlee » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:56

c0nv1ct wrote:It appears he has a history of IRC idiocy:

Your idiocy speaks for itself..and NO amount of googling will assist you in your smear campaign ;)

GOOD try.

ineffective; the human species has just taken a fall backwards..you can shout all you want but in the end being a jerk is by definition
not part of any humane vocabulary Im aware of. You started this mess by namecalling and I defended myself and joked around a bit about it
to offset the damage you had done. Im done with this childish foolhardly , so you can go back to your crib b ecause while being mean might be fun
and rewarding to you, its childish and mean spirited to the rest of us. It's a failed attempt to showcase me as the 'bad' one, when showing a VERY small snippet of a arguement I had
on #suse is clearly indicative of the coverup here. You tried to embarrase me and in the attempt did it to yourself ;)

And linux wonders why it still struggles for desktop equality.....

congrats again :)
cheers
nl

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:16

sounds like a whine to me

The IRC channel isn't there to teach you linux and you will be pointed to resources to read. It's encouraged to go through the resources available first as we get people in IRC that flat out demand that we give them the commands so they can just copy and paste. When we give them the forum or wiki post they come irate at us. The helpers in IRC are abused daily and yes they aren't going to take crap from others. I don't know your case, but I see a very high percentage of people getting help in the room and people thanking for the help. 9 out of 10 times the person brings upon himself his own destiny. Nobody is in the room to be mean on purpose. If you don't like being told to RTFM than you might want to put on a tougher shell or actually take the time and go over the documentation, wikis, and forums first.

Take a look here -http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=FAQ
All those questions are asked every single day in IRC multiply times day in and day out, time after time. Why do you think that was written? Why should a irc user get mad and start cursing at the helpers when they give them a link that resolves their problem? Why does a irc user not trust that we have pointed them in the right direction? Do you really think we sit in there to mess with your mind and fubar your system? Webchat brings in a lot of irc users trolling on purpose. They play beyond dumb just to see how long they can drag it out. Try sitting in there day in and day out dealing with impatient people that are too lazy to open a browser and read the solution.

I keep reminding people that if you give respect you will get respect back. We have some really great IRC helpers that are very knowledgeable and volunteer their time to help people even tho they get abused every time. They are willing to look beyond the idiots that come in and help those that really want the help.

Some tips before entering IRC - search first. I can't stress that enough. The gentoo community is huge and is very very very rare that one person is singled out with the problem at hand. More than likely someone has already posted the problem and a response applied to it. If your searches are failing, than work on your keywords. Avoid using an entire sentence or common words. Let's say amarok fails to build and you have no idea. Head over to the Sabayon Forum or Gentoo Forum and start with the obvious, just punch amarok into the search box and look thru the results. More than likely you will find someone has already posted it. It may take a day or two before a solution is posted, so just keep checking back on it. Don't forget about the bugzillas, lot of great answers are found there too. All your basic operations can be found in the Gentoo handbook and asking in IRC how to get sound working is going to get you a link to the handbook section as it explains it better than anyone in IRC can. Can't figure out how to install virtualbox server in sabayon? Google will work great for this, simply use the keywords ----> gentoo virtualbox <------- and you will find the howto on the gentoo wiki. Why do you think we have a global message on the forum -- http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... 57&t=12722 to prevent repeated thread like http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... 54&t=12213 You have no idea how many times that has been asked. The day that problem came about, the solution was resolved almost immediately on this forum and the gentoo forum. We still get people asking that and we still see people deleting portage of all things and they still get mad at us. Have some patience also when in IRC. Flaming a helper, you might as well just ban yourself as you will not get help ever. If you try and willing to learn you will have no problems. Like I said earlier, people usually get what they have coming to them. I know this isn't in all cases, but majority. Sometimes you just need to ignore and try later, but till you have walked the miles in the helpers shoes you can't begin to understand the magnitude of stupidity that occurs in IRC. Give them credit for being there, again I don't know your situation as there is two sides to every story. I will guarantee you tho, nobody is there to be mean on purpose. There is a lot of good times in the room and people are given multiple chances to correct themselves. You should try hanging out in some other chat rooms, you will find we are very soft when it comes to banning and what not.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:19

neighborlee wrote:
c0nv1ct wrote:It appears he has a history of IRC idiocy:

Your idiocy speaks for itself..and NO amount of googling will assist you in your smear campaign ;)

GOOD try.

ineffective; the human species has just taken a fall backwards..you can shout all you want but in the end being a jerk is by definition
not part of any humane vocabulary Im aware of. You started this mess by namecalling and I defended myself and joked around a bit about it
to offset the damage you had done. Im done with this childish foolhardly , so you can go back to your crib b ecause while being mean might be fun
and rewarding to you, its childish and mean spirited to the rest of us. It's a failed attempt to showcase me as the 'bad' one, when showing a VERY small snippet of a arguement I had
on #suse is clearly indicative of the coverup here. You tried to embarrase me and in the attempt did it to yourself ;)

And linux wonders why it still struggles for desktop equality.....

congrats again :)
cheers
nl

This is exactly what I am talking about folks, we have to deal with this day in and day out.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:20

c0nv1ct wrote:<neighborlee> hmmmm is entropy actually attempting to introduce a binary pool of apps for gentoo as Im seeing 'binary' in descript on wiki. ( and stuff about self contained packages)
<c0nv1ct> well, its a binary package manager
<neighborlee> meaning ?
<c0nv1ct> meaning... the answer is yes
<Vertgo> it's a binary package manager rofl.
<neighborlee> yes but..you must admit..
<neighborlee> that
<neighborlee> gentoo isnt known
<neighborlee> for binary packages
<Vertgo> Okay?
<neighborlee> so dont rofl me
<neighborlee> ;)
<Vertgo> Is this gentoo?
<c0nv1ct> neighborlee, its for sabayon, not gentoo
<neighborlee> yes
<Vertgo> it's a gentoo fork
<Vertgo> =]
<neighborlee> yes but its nEVER usred binary pacakges
<c0nv1ct> its gentoo compatible though
<Vertgo> OKay?
<neighborlee> so I wanted to be sure
<c0nv1ct> neighborlee, uh, yes it does
<Vertgo> So it it now.
<neighborlee> Vertgo, STOP IT
<c0nv1ct> neighborlee, never heard of binhost?
<neighborlee> no
<Vertgo> Ignorant?
<c0nv1ct> Vertgo, affirmative
<Vertgo> =]
<Vertgo> 10-4
<neighborlee> ah ok I get it now
<neighborlee> so gentoo/sabayon is only for elitist assholes who dont mind name calling ..anything to make themselves LOOK elite ;)
<neighborlee> wow , am I not surprised.
<neighborlee> thx im glad I found out when I did
<Vertgo> neighborlee, no, not even close.
<c0nv1ct> huh?
* neighborlee ([email protected]/neighborlee) has left #sabayon ("Leaving")

You didnt know about binhost, after claiming that gentoo never uses binary packages. Thats called ignorance, its not an insult, its a fact. Vicious assaults? Hardly....

Wow, lots of brilliance there