KDM crashes after nvidia driver update [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

spaarketel
Baby Hen

KDM crashes after nvidia driver update [Solved]

Post by spaarketel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 14:37

Hi there!

After using Sabayon for over 1.5 years now with great pleasure, I've got a problem I can't seem to fix. This is actually the first time in 5 years of using linux I'm posting for help, because I couldn't find this problem anywhere else. So...

HELP! :)

I got tempted to update my nvidia drivers. Though the version I had worked fine. I know. Stupid. The flesh is weak.

But now, when booting Sabayon, it will crash right where the nvidia splash screen should turn up. Booting in verbose mode, it appears that it crashes during the starting of kdm, leaving me with a black screen, a static cursor in the top-left of it and the corners of my mouth giving in to gravity.

So, I figured I'd use the Live CD to set my xorg.config to use the "nv" driver instead of the "nvidia", reboot, fall back to my original driver and live happily ever after. But in Live-mode, I can't mount my Sabayon partition. It does recognize the boot partition, but the rest is no-go. Gparted recognizes it as a LVM volume, but the filesystemtype is "unknown, damaged or doesn't exist", so I can't mount it. Using SystemRescueCD gives me the same result. Well no result, actually. (I used gparted to check the partition path cuz I couldn't cough up the shell command at the time)
I'm not familiar with LVM. Is there a way to mount my partition? Or any workaround? I'd first like to try setting the driver to "nv" and see what happens. Just don't know how.

Hoping someone can help me out.
Thanks in advance

Simon

PS Oh yes. I'm running Sabayon 3.4 (the initial release), 32-bit. Any other info I'll glady post when requested.

[edit] :oops: I'm so terribly sorry, I didn't look hard enough I see now I have to add "dolvm2" to the LiveCD kernel options. I'll try this first... My mistake. If this leads to fixing my problem, i'll certainly post this. It probably still leaves the problem with the updated driver. [/monologue mode]
Last edited by spaarketel on Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

spaarketel
Baby Hen

Re: KDM crashes after nvidia driver update

Post by spaarketel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 15:57

Ok, changing de "nvidia" driver to "nv" (for now) got me back into the system. Next issue:

I figured that by simply emerging the nvidia-drivers, I replaced the nvidia-drivers-100.14.11-r10 (which worked fine) with nvidia-drivers-100.14.19-r10. Kuroo shows me that these are "not on ~x86" Whoops! That probably screwed my X. So I tried "emerge -pu nvidia-drivers", but it tells me it's not going to emerge anything. Right. Back in Kuroo I made sure nvidia-drivers-100.14.11-r10(stable) was checked as the version to be emerged and gave it a go. But somehow Kuroo is not paying attention to this and keeps emerging the .19 version...
I'll stick to the nv driver for the moment, but... WTF?

Cheers,
Simon

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Mon Nov 19, 2007 21:19

first, Kuroo is junk - emerge -C kuroo

second, make sure you emerge --sync && layman -S

as you can see below, all the versions available

Code: Select all

wolfden wolfden # eix nvidia-drivers
[I] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
     Available versions:  [m]1.0.7185 [m](~)1.0.9626-r99[1] [m](~)1.0.9629-r90[1] [m](~)1.0.9631-r90[1] [m](~)1.0.9631-r91[1] [m](~)1.0.9631-r92[1] [m]1.0.9639 [m](~)1.0.9639-r90[1] [m](~)1.0.9742-r90[1] [m](~)1.0.9746-r90[1] [m](~)1.0.9755-r10[1] [m](~)71.86.01 [m](~)71.86.01-r10[1] [m]96.43.01 [m](~)96.43.01-r10[1] [m]100.14.09 [m](~)100.14.09-r10[1] [m](~)100.14.11 [m](~)100.14.11-r10[1] [m](~)100.14.11-r11[1] [m]100.14.19 (~)100.14.19-r11[1] [M](~)100.14.23 [M](~)100.14.23-r10[1]
     Installed versions:  100.14.19-r11["sabayon" /usr/portage/local/layman/sabayon](07:04:33 PM 11/12/2007)(acpi distribution gtk kernel_linux -multilib)
     Homepage:            http://www.nvidia.com/
     Description:         NVIDIA X11 driver and GLX libraries

[1] (layman/sabayon)

spaarketel
Baby Hen

Post by spaarketel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 21:52

Yes I Kuroo wasn't thrown out of the Sabayon project for nothing, I guess. But I thought it's list of "stable", "masked" versions etc. was pretty handy though.
But emerge -C kuroo sounds fine to me.
I'll do this right away when I get to my box.
And then "emerge --sync && layman -S", gotcha.
So then I can simply "emerge nvidia-drivers-100.14.11-r10", I reckon? Or should "emerge -u nvidia-drivers" take me back to the stable drivers? I'd better pretend first, huh? Or even better, maybe RTFM.

Well thanks a lot for the response, anyway!!

Simon

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Mon Nov 19, 2007 22:20

if you want to search portage

emerge eix
and than run

update-eix
than you can

eix nvidia-drivers
you can see what is stable and what is masked, even color coded

the portage version that is current is
nvidia-drivers-100.14.19
the sabayon version is
nvdia-drivers-100.14.19-r11
you can than use eix to search all overlays, even if you don't have them added to your list, by editing the /etc/eix-sync.conf and simply place * in the file and save it. When you search it will tell you which overlay it is in so you can add and than install application. I'll add the overlay and than delete it after application is installed.

so instead of emerge --sync && layman -S you just run

eix-sync
and it will update portage tree, layman overlays and eix cache so your searches are always current. By having it do the overlays you can find more packages easier. Give it a whirl, I promise you won't be dissapointed

spaarketel
Baby Hen

Post by spaarketel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:28

Well a first glance at eix made smile indeed! Thanks! I'll have to get familiarized with it though, quite some possibilities. I'm not a linux pro, I just love some modest tinkering every now and then. But this looks like a nice tool. I couldn't find any reference to the color coding in the man page. Could you explain me the difference between the "green" versions and the "brown" ones preceeded by (~)? Just to get me started a bit...

Now, concerning my initial crash problem: I rebooted again with the 100.14.19.r10 driver, just to check the Xorg.0.log using LiveCD. But X didn't seem to have any major problems. There were only two warnings:

(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
and
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" is not used

But to me that doesn't look like a problem. Also, there's no errors in the Xorg output.

So after this I aplied the instructions from your post and emerged nvidia-drivers, which then installed me 100.14.19-r11. Now I paid a little more attention to the output of emerge and noticed the recommendation of running "depmod" after emerging the drivers. Having done this I was back on the horse after restarting X with the nvidia drivers. Whoopy. Might this be the thing I omitted and caused the trouble? Just trying to making some sense out of it.

Anyway, thanks a lot, wolfden!!!

Cheers,
Simon

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: KDM crashes after nvidia driver update [Solved]

Post by wolfden » Tue Nov 20, 2007 13:27

shouldn't have to depmod

colors are the different status of the package

stable
arch
masked