DVD boot awfully slow

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

matteosistisette
Baby Hen

DVD boot awfully slow

Post by matteosistisette » Thu Nov 15, 2007 19:47

Hi,

I'm distro hopping, and distro hoping, i.e. hoping to find a distro that "just works".
I liked the "out of the box" philosophy of Sabayon, so I thought I'd give it a try, to see whether it is just philosophy (like that of PCLinuxOS) or reality.

I downloaded the iso image of version 3.4f DVD, and burnt it into a DVD.

I booted from the DVD, selected "start Sabayon Linux" (or whatever it read, i.e. the first option of the boot menu), and just waited.

A progress indicator appeared saying "Loading Linux kernel..."

After more than 10 minutes (TEN MINUTES!!!!) it had reached 40% and I gave up.
40% of just loading the kernel.

I noticed that the dvd led (the one that blinks when the drive is reading data from a CD or DVD) only was blinking periodically at long intervals, while usually, when reading big amounts of data, it blinks much more continuously; also, the dvd seemed to be rotating slowly, as it was quite silent, while it usually is quite noisy when reading fast. I don't know if all these are symptoms of some problem or not.

The cdrom drive works perfectly, never gave me a single issue.
I was able to boot many other live linux distributions from cd (ubuntu, pclinux, mandriva one, etc) and install Fedora from a DVD, and I NEVER experience such a tremendously slow boot time.

I searched the forum but didn't find useful information (which doesn't mean it is not there).
Somewhere I read "the slow boot problem has been fixed in 3.3"..... either it was another problem, or it wasn't fixed at all.

Now, for example, if under Windows I try to copy the content of the sabayon dvd (the one I tried booting from) to my hard disk, it reads it just fine (i.e. the led stays lit all the time) and it will copy the livecd.something file which is about 3GB in about 12 minutes. So there doesn't definitely seem to be any problem with the media itself.

Any idea?

Shoudl I try an earlier version?

Thanks in advance
matteo

Richlion
Technological Hen

Re: DVD boot awfully slow

Post by Richlion » Thu Nov 15, 2007 21:37

Hi Matteosistisette,

maybe it is a problem with the DVD ISO. I tried the live DVD at first, but it too could freeze in two laptops. HP and Toshiba. So i burned another one. And it works. You should be able to boot, try Alt-F1 to go to verbose mode, you will see the progress of the boot process, line by line services are started with an OK/errors status.
The boot process should not take longer than 3-4 minutes, will go to let you choose the acceleration - choose none at first. Then login, just press Enter (or wait a few seconds). Those 3-4 minutes are on my Toshiba Intel Centrino 1,7 Mhz. 1GB RAM. When you decide it works, reboot and choose the acceleration to see the 3D effects.

I do not have Sabayon installed yet, this Gentoo based distro is new to me. Now I have Mandriva, but they do not have a DVD live boot, only CD live. But the Sabayon DVD live looks quite impressive.

Regards,
Richard.
*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS

matteosistisette
Baby Hen

Post by matteosistisette » Thu Nov 15, 2007 23:00

Richlion wrote:Hi Matteosistisette,

maybe it is a problem with the DVD ISO. I tried the live DVD at first, but it too could freeze in two laptops. HP and Toshiba. So i burned another one. And it works.
Did you burn the same .iso file into another DVD, did you download the same version again, or did you download another version?

Thanks
m.

spaarketel
Baby Hen

Post by spaarketel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 14:27

And be sure to check the md5sum before burning...

matteosistisette
Baby Hen

Post by matteosistisette » Tue Nov 20, 2007 21:01

The md5 sum is OK.

I also downloaded the mini edition CD, and it boots fine.
The "loading kernel" process (i.e. the window that appears almost at the beginning, saying "loading kernel" and with a progress indicator) is done in less than 10 SECONDS.

What's wrong with the DVD?