stabalizing 3.4f (known Issues and Fixes)

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

runtt21
Young Hen

Re: stabalizing 3.4f (known Issues and Fixes)

Post by runtt21 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 23:34

"I would also emerge the graphic drivers because of opengl USE-flag

emerge nvidia-drivers (for an nvidia-card)"

Is there a driver for Intel graphics?

keteflips
Growing Hen

Post by keteflips » Sun Jan 06, 2008 20:35

Hi.

I have a clean 3.4f instalation, I do:
sudo layman -S
sudo emerge --sync
and...

[email protected] /usr/portage/local/layman $ sudo emerge -av portage

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

[ebuild U ] sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.18.1-r2 [1.2.18.1] 232 kB [0]
[ebuild U ] dev-python/pycrypto-2.0.1-r6 [2.0.1-r5] USE="-bindist -gmp -test" 151 kB [0]
[ebuild U ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.4_rc14 [2.1.3.4-r1] USE="-build -doc -epydoc (-selinux)" LINGUAS="-pl*" 447 kB [0]
*** Portage will stop merging at this point and reload itself,
then resume the merge.
[ebuild U ] app-shells/bash-3.2_p33 [3.2_p15-r1] USE="nls -afs -bashlogger -plugins% -vanilla" 2,564 kB [0]
[blocks B ] <sys-apps/portage-2.1.4_rc1 (is blocking app-shells/bash-3.2_p33)

Total: 4 packages (4 upgrades, 1 block), Size of downloads: 3,392 kB
Portage tree and overlays:
[0] /usr/portage

!!! Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be installed
!!! at the same time on the same system.

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... =1#blocked
What I can do? I cant unmerge bash O_O im not crazy.

I prove to emerge bash and :
[email protected] /usr/portage/local/layman $ sudo emerge -av bash

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

[ebuild U ] app-shells/bash-3.2_p33 [3.2_p15-r1] USE="nls -afs -bashlogger -plugins% -vanilla" 2,564 kB [0]
[blocks B ] <sys-apps/portage-2.1.4_rc1 (is blocking app-shells/bash-3.2_p33)

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade, 1 block), Size of downloads: 2,564 kB
Portage tree and overlays:
[0] /usr/portage

!!! Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be installed
!!! at the same time on the same system.

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... =1#blocked
WTF?¿ :mrgreen:

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Sun Jan 06, 2008 23:54

why are you posting this here? should of made a new thread in the portage/packaging forum

Code: Select all

emerge -1 =app-shells/bash-3.2_p17-r1
emerge portage 

keteflips
Growing Hen

Post by keteflips » Sun Jan 06, 2008 23:58

Yeah, Im writing this post :) at the same time that you (sorry for my english)

I solve the problem upgrading bash to the most great not masked and then I can emerge portage.

Thanks a lot.

keteflips
Growing Hen

Post by keteflips » Sat Jan 19, 2008 13:15

Finlay I decide to downgrade to Sabayon 3.4e, the 3.4f have a lot of problems to get 100% stable.

I hope than 3.5 are more stable, I dont like this last release.

runtt21
Young Hen

Post by runtt21 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:16

How do I fix this?

localhost ~ # layman -s sabayon && euse -E kickoff && emerge kicker desktop-acceleration-helpers
* Running command "/usr/bin/svn update "/usr/portage/local/layman/sabayon""...
At revision 1930.
* Success:
* ------
* Successfully synchronized overlay "sabayon".
/etc/make.conf was modified, a backup copy has been placed at /etc/make.conf.euse_backup
[ebuild U ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r4 [3.3.8-r2]
[ebuild U ] x11-misc/desktop-acceleration-helpers-3.0-r8 [3.0-r5]
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.8-r10 [3.5.7-r10] USE="-arts* -branding% -fam* -spell*"
[ebuild U ] kde-base/libkonq-3.5.8 [3.5.7] USE="-arts*"
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kdebase-data-3.5.8 [3.5.7]
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kicker-3.5.8-r10 [3.5.7-r12] USE="kickoff%* -arts*"
[blocks B ] kde-base/ksync (is blocking kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.8-r10)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

erik
Baby Hen

Post by erik » Fri Jan 25, 2008 23:53

Same issue.

EDIT - SOLVED

Solved kicker issues by re emerging
had to remove kde-sync, not sure how this will effect things but

# emerge -C ksync 
Did the trick.
Then

# emerge -C kicker
# emerge kicker
No more kicker freeze....

bakters
Young Hen

Post by bakters » Sun Jan 27, 2008 0:10

Several small things.
After text-install my /etc/localtime pointed to UTC, not to the time zone I declared during installation (/etc/conf.d/clock was set to it, so I didn't make a mistake there).
Solution

rm /etc/localtime && ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/YOUR/TIMEZONE
Graphic installer didn't work with my lvm2 volumes and didn't allow me to set them as mount points, but I didn't gather enough info to send a real bug report. Anyway text-install worked fine.

hibernate-script didn't work OOTB. I expected it to work, because it does work on LiveDVD, but I'm *not* complaining. Just saying how I thought. I tried to emerge it, but default portage snapshot didn't work either.
Default snapshot is a bit out of date, so it points at files which can be already removed from mirrors and that was the case with hibernate-script. (May I humbly suggest that Sabayon would mirror such files?)
Solution: You get the current ebuild from "somwhere", put it in /usr/local/portage/sys-power/hibernate-script, run

ebuild /usr/local/portage/sys-power/hibernate-script/your.script.here digest
, add a portdir overlay to /etc/make.conf

echo 'PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"' >> /etc/make.conf
and
now you can emerge your updated script normally.

Of course I believe that doing emerge --sync to have updated portage tree is not a solution. It's pointless if someone wants added stability provided by Sabayon. If I wanted running a bleeding edge ebuilds and experience random breakage of unknown packages due to unknown reasons I'd stay with Gentoo.

EDIT: Oh, and Polish localization turned out to be quite a mess too. I've chosen Polish language during installation, and I couldn't even read man pages. Man pages were Polish, but the shell, konsole and xterm couldn't display polish characters (ąęźć and so on). They were just omited, no ? or anything in place, so the man pages were not readable at all.
Solution: Replace Polish locales in /etc/env.d/02locale with English ones and do env-update and locale-gen so you have English man pages and so on. KDE remains polonized after that. Still slrn can't display Polish specific letters correctly for whatever reason. I tried both with and without unicode support USE flags, and this still doesn't work. It came to me now, that probably slang needs to be recompiled too.

And leafnode doesn't work either. It compiles, installs, starts, but newsreaders don't connect to the server. I read half of google trying to find a configuration related mistake and ruled out pretty much all of them, still no go. Probably a bug in leafnode itself.

EDIT: The problem with leafnode was solved by Dont panic. It turns out that xinet didn't know that 120.0.0.1 is actually a localhost, because I had "120.0.0.1 my_hostname localhost" in /etc/hosts. Putting localhost before my_hostname solved the issue.

Locales. It turned out that programs I ran in konsole didn't know how to display Polish letters (ąśżć and so on). I had 'export LC_CTYPE="pl_PL"' correctly declared in .bashrc, but it didn't work. A commad locale showed all set to what was in /etc/env.d/02locale, because there was LC_ALL defaulting to en_US and apparently overwriting anything I exported from command line except LANG. exporting LC_ALL to pl_PL worked, but then man paged didn't work and so on. I simply removed /etc/env.d/02locale and ran env-update. In effect all locales defaulted to POSIX, except LC_ALL and LANG, which weren't set at all, so LC_ALL didn't override my LC_CTYPE settings, and everything works as I like it now. I see that I'm not exactly clear here, but it's not my fault. It's the system of locales where many different configuration settings overwrite each other which is unclear, I try my best to simply follow it closely. ;-)

Speaking about overwriting configuration. Keyboard repeat rate on my system was much too high. Setting it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf by putting Option: "AutoRepeat" "500 25" didn't work. It turns out that kdm has a file (now, where was it...) /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/Xsetup where it was set to 195 35 (iirc). To see what are current settings one needs to run "xset q" command. To try what works best run "xset r rate DELAY REPEAT" or run kcontrol and use built in keyboard tuning tool under Peripherals->Keyboard.