stabalizing 3.4f (known Issues and Fixes)

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

milosp
Baby Hen

Re: stabalizing 3.4f (known Issues and Fixes)

Post by milosp » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:10

2.)

To fix kded (kicker) Problems and also aiglx and compiz stuff do:

layman -s sabayon && euse -E kickoff && emerge kicker desktop-acceleration-helpers
Could you be more specific as to what issues related to kded and compiz...... Kded cousing konqueror not to start? what about compiz..... I would like to know becuase I am having some problems with logout

eshum
Technological Hen

Post by eshum » Tue Oct 30, 2007 15:40

"i'm still trying to find a solution, could use a little help on that one (java issues?)" Emerge deluge and move on it works!

ed

dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Re: does 3.4e actually 'work'?

Post by dyingmuppet » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:29

pjfry wrote: The Alsa Problem (non working Microphone) was/is real. So something in 3.4f needs to be configured in a different way for making the Microphone work with HDA-Intel, but since I'm very pleased with 3.4e (and I just don't have the time anymore to spend all night configuring) I didn't try to solve that...
Maybe you have to be on the Alsa forum/bugtracker for that.
I've had some problems with my Realtek ALC882 which uses the Intel HDA driver on my Asus A7M laptop, In the first place it just didn't work and sometimes when I did put my headphone in the 'Microphone' input I got some very soft sound out of it... after waiting and hanging around at alsa-bugtracker for a couple of weeks there was a fix for my soundcard, now everything works as expected...
The only thing I had to do was disable ALSA in the kernel, but keep sound-support so you can install alsa-driver manually, then I downloaded the ALSA-driver source and the patch, put the patch in the source as they told me, then I compiled and installed alsa-driver and Voila! my sound was finally working :D
node_one wrote: Also what about the flags?

Code: Select all

jpeg sqlite sqlite3 arts gstreamer spell
I am new at this so someone please double-check if these are needed too.
Well I think if you want, you can put them in /etc/make.conf too. I added the use-flag jpeg as well, but especially arts is one I wouldn't want to have, this because arts 'eats up' my soundcard resources and blocks it up for most programs that want to use sound... well except for small programs like aMSN or most media-players.. Games meanwhile are blocked +75% of the time by arts.

It's more about what you want to have then whats better to do, It is your system so you can do with it what you want :D You don't have to hold on someone that tells you what to use like microsucks' Blowdos... That is the power of Linux, Do with it whatever you want, whenever you want because it is Your system!! :lol: But: !never forget to listen to good advice so there's no stuff that could crack up your system!

Grtzz Dre

dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Post by dyingmuppet » Wed Nov 21, 2007 13:44

phlo wrote: 2.)

To fix kded (kicker) Problems and also aiglx and compiz stuff do:

layman -s sabayon && euse -E kickoff && emerge kicker desktop-acceleration-helpers

I would also emerge the graphic drivers because of opengl USE-flag

emerge nvidia-drivers (for an nvidia-card)

or

emerge ati-drivers ( for ati )

after that start accel-manager and choice aiglx or xgl (for nvidia aiglx for ati xgl)

accel-manager

Thats it so far.
phlo
I've just updated like you said above, there are some changes in desktop-acceleration-helpers; it seems that you need to update ati-drivers to 8.42.3 or higher because they have dropped XGL support... so If you have an ati-videocard you MUST update your drivers and run accel-manager and set it to AIGLX.
This is what they say after emerge:

* If you are using an ATI video card:
 * Please upgrade your drivers to >=ati-drivers-8.42.3 !!!
 * With this package we are dropping XGL support
btw don't forget eselect opengl set nvidia or eselect opengl set ati to set opengl to the right driver... It will be done while emerging, but It's better to be double sure :wink:

Also there is a little "bug/problem" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, the mouse is implemented twice, so when you click ones it will recognize a click twice.
This is a little problem I've been fixing for myself & friends since Sabayon Linux 3.25 and I also posted some times on the forum around, but maybe this is a much better place for now! :)
The only thing you have to do is to comment one rule in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, that rule is placed under Section "ServerLayout", one of the latest sections in your xorg.conf, there you have to comment the rule: InputDevice "Mouse2" "SendCoreEvents" like this.

Section "ServerLayout"
# The Identifier line must be present

Identifier	"Main Layout"
    Screen 0 	"Screen 1"
    InputDevice	"Mouse1" "CorePointer"
--> #InputDevice "Mouse2" "SendCoreEvents"
    #InputDevice "Synaptics1" "SendCoreEvents"
    #InputDevice "wacom1" "SendCoreEvents"
    #InputDevice "wacom2" "SendCoreEvents"
    #InputDevice "wacom3" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection
(put an '#' before the row to comment it)

then save xorg.conf and restart X with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE.

you can also remove the whole mouse2 section in your xorg.conf, then you also have to remove the line we just commented. but that takes a little more time :wink: .

BTW: CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE is also necessary after setting the acceleration manager to AIGLX.

Grtzz Dre

flsantos
Baby Hen

Post by flsantos » Thu Nov 22, 2007 17:36

I did all of the stuff that phlo wrote, but it killed my X. I got a blank black screen without graphic manager.
I have a Asus F3jr with a ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 and out-of-the box it's the only distro that work fine.
I tried Kubuntu 7.4 and 7.10 normal and alternate and it didn't work, tried OpenSUSE and didn't work (the screen just stayed 1024x7??, My resolution is 1280x800).
What can I do to fix this bug?

mrtabac
Baby Hen

Re: stabalizing 3.4f (known Issues and Fixes) to phlo... thanks

Post by mrtabac » Fri Nov 23, 2007 22:18

TO phlo member...... solved miy and pothe problemsm but...
Hi, really i made the commands, tnat you suggested in the begin of this topic, and solved my problem and of many othet peolple in this forun, and even in other topics. You vhave seem the variuous problems between sabayon and NVIDIA drives, configure acceleration etc,,,,!
After i make all the commands and corections taht you suggested, my system works well and video accleration turns on! Congratulations...
However i have now an aditional problem.... When i use, for example Compiz, and make modificartions on my screen princupaly that configuration that make the screen cube 9 (when i click, for example to go to the 2 desktop) turned to the other side moving around thaie axis, to the right side.... ( i dont remenber the name), after this command and using the sabayon (even in plane screens!), all the screen crashs, i see only one white ( and sometimes black) screen i dont sse any more, and may re-init session! (Both logged as user or root!)... When i init anew session, sometimes this not be beggined in Gnome or in KDE but only in lesser graphically detailed managers, as fluxbox..
When this new session, can be achieeved in KDE..... strange! plain, "normal " screens, no more conpiz settings, no more cube, no more video accerelation, it was turned off automatically, and cannot be re-activated, via acceleration manager! message, no video accleration!
Seems that the video board, the systems, " protected" sabayon , avoiding 3 D sessions, turns off accleration, and permitted only less graphical settings, in order to may open a session!...
in other cases, video acceleration was on, bu beryl cannot run, only compiz! Beryl causes a totally screen i crash, after the session init, but if it is in gnome or in KDE or in Matisse, only a blank screen... see any more!!!!, no more video accleration!
my micro is a athlon, 3200, 2 giga RAM, bu i have a relativelly small video board> NVIDIA FX 5200, 128 mega RAM... I have a a small card, video boar, for rum beryl or compiz?, or i may have an hardware or BIOS problem?

mrtabac
Baby Hen

Re: stabalizing 3.4f (known Issues and Fixes)... aditional prob.

Post by mrtabac » Fri Nov 23, 2007 22:25

See my previous post. Adtional problem... if i activate 1680 higuer resolutions (in NVIDIA managger), in sabayon , alll the windows seems smaller, this is normal, but, the overall bitmap, the overall screen, was increased, their bords, K menu etc... cannot more be seen,they are hidden, in the lateral of the monitor...!

runtt21
Young Hen

Post by runtt21 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 0:35

btw how do you open /etc/make.conf to add the use flags? sorry i'm new to all of this, just installed 3.4e

runtt21
Young Hen

Post by runtt21 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:37

nevermind, you just open the file ,I was trying to do it in the terminal.

koch
Growing Hen

Post by koch » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:38

do not change anything in make.conf untill you know your linux better.
then..use an editor.

edit: ok, you found one way...
WINDOWS: Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, melt - upgrade it, charge it, pawn it, zoom it, press it, snap it, write it, get it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, drag and drop it - stop. format it.