stabalizing 3.4f (known Issues and Fixes)

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

phlo
Growing Hen

stabalizing 3.4f (known Issues and Fixes)

Post by phlo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 19:30

Hey Guys,

in 3.4f there are many bugs.

It would be nice to have some threads where every bug is reportet with its solving.

There are bugs an fixes all over the Forum and it is realy hard to find them.

This thread should only contain bugs with fixes or better known issues ^^

I will start wie the USE-Flags

But first at all sync your portage and update it

emerge --sync

emerge portage

layman -S

1.)

Add in /etc/make.conf after USE=

opengl qt4 qt3 qt3support gtk sdl png gif

to your USE-Flags to solve some problems with opengl and gtk Programms

2.)

To fix kded (kicker) Problems and also aiglx and compiz stuff do:

layman -s sabayon && euse -E kickoff && emerge kicker desktop-acceleration-helpers

I would also emerge the graphic drivers because of opengl USE-flag

emerge nvidia-drivers (for an nvidia-card)

or

emerge ati-drivers ( for ati )

after that start accel-manager and choice aiglx or xgl (for nvidia aiglx for ati xgl)

accel-manager

Thats it so far.

please complete the list.
And maybe someone can also open an thread for 3.4 miniEdition with the first known issues with fixes.

phlo

runtt21
Young Hen

Re: stabalizing 3.4f (known Issues and Fixes)

Post by runtt21 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 22:33

Is this info good for 3.4e too?

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Sep 25, 2007 22:40

all of 3.4 series, mini should have most fixes

rand.a
Growing Hen

Post by rand.a » Fri Sep 28, 2007 21:13

I do like this idea, having a sticky for the current release listing known bugs and fixes or links to fixes.

Another thing i've seen many people having trouble with lately is blocks in their world update in 3.4f. Here is a list of the ones I can recall and how to resolve them.

schedutils blocking linux-utils
Solution: emerge -C schedutils

makedev blocking udev

mDNSResponder blocking avahi
Solution: add the mdnsresponder-compat to your useflags in /etc/make.conf

nvidia-drivers and ati-drivers blocking xorg-server
Solution: nvidia users need to emerge nvidia-drivers-100.14.19 or newer, ati users need to mask xorg-server-1.4 and xorg-x11-7.3 until new drivers are released, like this: echo -e ">=x11-base/xorg-server-1.4\n>=x11-base/xorg-x11-7.3" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

These aren't really bugs, but some are because unnecessary packages were left in 3.4 that didn't need to be. I'll try to add more as i see them.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 22:45

c0nv1ct wrote:mDNSResponder blocking avahi
With SL 3.4 Loop 2b I added the USE flag mdnsresponder-compat to /etc/portage/package.use:

Code: Select all

net-dns/avahi howl-compat mdnsresponder-compat
In SL 3.4f mdnsresponder-compat is already there for avahi. There may be more local USE flags than just howl-compat for avahi in package.use in SL 3.4a and 3.4e too so, if it isn't there already, one can add mdnsresponder-compat to whatever USE flags are already there for avahi.

And then:

emerge -C mDNSResponder
as Avahi makes mDNSResponder obsolete.

xt600
Simple Hen

Post by xt600 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 22:56

c0nv1ct wrote:I do like this idea, having a sticky for the current release listing known bugs and fixes or links to fixes.

Another thing i've seen many people having trouble with lately is blocks in their world update in 3.4f. Here is a list of the ones I can recall and how to resolve them.

schedutils blocking linux-utils

makedev blocking udev

mDNSResponder blocking avahi

nvidia-drivers and ati-drivers blocking xorg-server
Solution: nvidia users need to emerge nvidia-drivers-100.14.19 or newer, ati users need to mask xorg-server-1.4 and xorg-x11-7.3 until new drivers are released, like this: echo -e ">=x11-base/xorg-server-1.4\n>=x11-base/xorg-x11-7.3" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

These aren't really bugs, but some are because unnecessary packages were left in 3.4 that didn't need to be. I'll try to add more as i see them.
Thanks! That is really helpful. I think it is a good idea to keep a running post with quick fixes for each version.

Is there a quick fix for PAM? For some reason I do not have the files that need edited according to this post http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... =54&t=9228

I have gotten past everything except PAM

node_one
Young Hen

Post by node_one » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:21

makedev blocking udev
That is supposed to be
makedev blocking udev
Solution: emerge -C makedev
right?

Also what about the flags?

jpeg sqlite sqlite3 arts gstreamer spell
I am new at this so someone please double-check if these are needed too.

sjeses
Young Hen

Post by sjeses » Tue Oct 02, 2007 15:01

i don't know where else to put it, so:

in 3.4e azureus worked out of the box, no hassles.
but in 3.4f it just will not load, you see the bouncing frog by your cursor, but that's it.

i'm still trying to find a solution, could use a little help on that one (java issues?)

okay: edit:

it were java issues, the simple solution was running azureus from the konsole (not as root!) and check the message.
most likely it will say that it is missing sun-jdk
if so type the following:
su <enter>
(root password) <enter>
emerge sun-jdk

there are some minor issues with the updating of the libraries, still finding that one out.

pjfry
Baby Hen

does 3.4e actually 'work'?

Post by pjfry » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:58

First of all: I'm a big fan of Sabayon...
I'm in Linux since 1998 and I remember compiling my own Kernels just to get the cd-Burner to work... (those where the days). Since then I used several RPM-, and DEB based distros... I endet up with Gentoo, then I discovered Sabayon and loved it, because everything worked out of the Box, until...
Until i installed Sybayon 3.4f!!! Now Sound (HDA Intel), Graphic (Nvidia 6600), Windowmanager, and many other things are broken.
I now how to configure my way round, and there is probably a way to make all those things work again, but if I want to spend several days making my System work, I'd rather choose Gentoo, makes more sense for me...
So after all the moaning, here's the question:
Does 3.4e work out of the Box? Otherwise I'll reinstall 3.4loop2, cause that worked fine.

####################################################################################

Hmmkayyy... answered this one by my self:
Yes 3.4e works out of the box...
and forget about my Graphik Problems... this is obviously due to the fact that my Graphik Card is partly toasted (accelleration doesn't work in any OS anymore)

The Alsa Problem (non working Microphone) was/is real. So something in 3.4f needs to be configured in a different way for making the Microphone work with HDA-Intel, but since I'm very pleased with 3.4e (and I just don't have the time anymore to spend all night configuring) I didn't try to solve that...

Thank's again for the greatest Distro I've seen since 1998 and keep on the good work!

####################################################################################

P.S. the tips from the first post made things worse (left me without X-Server after boot, I had to start it by Hand) but thats propably also due to the Fact that my Graphik Card is fried...
Last edited by pjfry on Fri Oct 12, 2007 13:03, edited 3 times in total.

phlo
Growing Hen

Post by phlo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:25

to get some opengl stuff right try this

emerge emul-linux-x86-xlibs (for x86-64) && eselect opengl set xorg-x11 && eselect opengl set nvidia

good luck

phlo