why is sabayon is large?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

alexicon
Baby Hen

why is sabayon is large?

Post by alexicon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:47

hello. im new to sabayon, really wanted to give it a try as i used gentoo for about 4 years and loved it. anyway, got ubuntu on my laptop now, but im getting pretty bored of it. finally got around to downloading a copy of sabayon, but just read the wiki and it says minimum of 10gb required :O

ive used linux now over 6 years and i've never heard of anything being so big lol. not even enterprise edition stuff with kde/gnome and several language packs.

what exactly is bloating sabayon out? is it possible to get rid of it at install time?? i really really really want to try sabayon, but my largest partition is only 7gb on here... is there a diet sabayon?? heh or am i just going to have to wait until i get a desktop with a bigger harddrive.

a.

*did do a search on this didnt find any similar results, but hope im not reposting anything here. heard great stuff about this distro, i wanna try it!!!

Cohan
Baby Hen

Re: why is sabayon is large?

Post by Cohan » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:54

The new mini edition is hopefully here in a few days, but until then you can still make a much smaller install with the regular Sabayon DVD by deselecting package groups during the installation process.

/Cohan

alexicon
Baby Hen

Post by alexicon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:16

ah nice one. ok i was misinformed then heh
had a couple of friends tell me to try sabayon, he booted up the installer and was sayin yep its 10gb. phew ok then! will have a try tonight and see what i can cut it down to ;)

lxnay
Land Owner

Post by lxnay » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:30

And about 1,5GB is dedicated to 3D games not installed by default. What's the problem? When we had a 2GB DVD people complained that we didn't use all the 4.7 Gigs of the DVD, now, people complain that we use till the last byte. :roll:
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+

alexicon
Baby Hen

Post by alexicon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:44

my issue was that the sabayon wiki says in the system requirements the install needs a minimum of 10gb. it really didnt give any sort of indication that you could lower that. might be worth noting that it is configurable, and what you can get it down to if you dont include the 3d games and/or multiple window managers. i know a lot of distros let you configure packages at install, but ive been using ubuntu the past year, and that does not.

i hadnt looked at the livecd yet, my friend who installed it said his install was 10gb. it was a stress point for me because ive only got a small hdd on my laptop, and my largest partition is 7gb so i thought i wouldnt be able to try sabayon at all. tbh though 10gb is huge, after almost 4 years of using gentoo my / partition is little over 7gb and thats mostly /var

im not trying to flame or anything here, it was just an honest question, i only wondered what was taking up all the room. <3

guess i'll have to try the installer and see what packages you include by default. i heard you got a lot of cool stuff built in. i look forward to the mini distro too :)

sorry for any confusion and didnt mean to cause any aggro!

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:35

up to recent events the installer didn't have choices so that is why it is stated in the wiki the way it is. An update to that could be made. 10GB partitions are nothing today with the size of drives now a days and if your struggling, grab the mini, it's only about 3GB installed. 10GB for an OS is just gonna be miserable. Portage needs room to work and breath, but it will work.

sicknessjb
Simple Hen

Post by sicknessjb » Mon Sep 10, 2007 17:45

im looking over 3.4f, kde as for my install, my question is why is gnome optionsm still marked to be installed? if i dont choose to install that gnome how much space is that saving...
3.4F FTW!
Intel P4 w/HT 3.2ghz - 2GB PC3200 - ATI X850 256MB PRO

hecia13
Young Hen

Post by hecia13 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 18:20

I don't understand your problem with the size, the disks are quite large today, 80 - 160 GB being a fair standard, why worry about some 10GB?

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Mon Sep 10, 2007 18:43

sicknessjb wrote:im looking over 3.4f, kde as for my install, my question is why is gnome options still marked to be installed? if i dont choose to install that gnome how much space is that saving...
Gnome or not some files share gnome parts and this still gets installed sometimes with wine-doors needs something gnome to work.

Current config:
60gb 5400rpm sata laptop hd 20gb per OS and still ahve 5 big games in the 20gb win part. , backups hd's = usb $10 to $20 enclosure + old desktop hd for reusable install files + iso's.

Notes:
The install info below does not have gnome or as minm. gnome as possible. Kde will use 700mb normal but can be cleaned out and other cleaning can be done "dep --help" look at the spring clean part but only do this after everything is updated and you made sure all has it's deps working / installed.

3.4F + space:
I have 3.4F with kde + basic games + multim + p2p and it installed / used 7100mb on my root partition this includes everything except swap space. /var/cache was 260mb , /usr/portage was 650mb and space used was at 8132mb this was after a complete emerge -u system and a few other things as well.
revdep-rebuild -X was running to patch up 5 more apps.

Install times:
Install time 23mins with kpower at performance but I am on a laptop with laptop dvd read speeds of aarrgghh and sata 33mb/s laptop hd , Core duo t2600 2.16ghz cpu.

Heck of a speed improvement:
This is faster than before -> much much faster. The system update was small and fast as well. gcc takes normal 30 to 50 mins because of my slow cpu that is normal as well as qt3.3.8 and glibc takes a bit of time. And yes it is stable except for the parts I screwed up LOL.

Compiz + glx is not SL bug but comes in like this from outside SL so I can not use it , I use linux not cute screen thingy's so it is working perfect for me.

I can tell you one thing I am glad the guy's / Devlm. team is putting all this together as I will likely not even be able to get close to somethign so nice / advanced when I try.

Thanks SL team we love it and appreciate it / all the hard work endless nights.

alexicon
Baby Hen

Post by alexicon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 19:13

whoa...

ok. again, i was asking this question because i wanted to install sabayon on my laptop.

while yes it is possible for me to upgrade to a larger hdd, it would be a lot of work and require me to literally pull apart my entire laptop to install a new disk.

its not an issue of how cheap hard drive space is. its just trying to figure out what this is installing and having some control over it.

ive just tried the installation procedure now, and tried to eliminate just about all the package sets. i prefer gnome, but even with that preference, the other package sets are riddled with kde packages which means kde-base is going to be a requirement regardless of which window manager you choose, making the choice rather.. well. i'll not go there now.

my issue now is that, even when you eliminate all the other packages from the install, it does not tell you how much space the install is going to take, and still suggests you need 12gb of space for the installation.

yes harddrives are cheap. but it would mean a lot of work to resize all of my partitions to fit this. im not trying to knock sabayon here, the livecd has tons of cool stuff on it. it just needs a bit of work on the installation process, bit more refined package control or at least an installation size indicator.

aggro >_> chill people, development is an on going process, we are just trying to voice some questions and suggestions.
these are not complaints, we are just voicing our experience here. i didnt really expect this kind of aggression... :shock:

i will use sabayon when i get my desktop back. currently its in a box on sea freight en route to me. i thought i could preview it on my laptop, but cant really at the moment. i will happily wait for the mini distro and have enjoyed playing the games on the livecd today.

anyway, sabayon is a tremendously interesting project, and i look forward to using it more in the future.

many thanks to the helpful suggestions ive received and read on this forum so far.