Trial results

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

PrimeSuspect
Baby Hen

Trial results

Post by PrimeSuspect » Thu Oct 31, 2019 22:21

Having used so many distros over the years I inevitably end up disappointed after a period of time. These are my observations after a fairly intensive trial of Sabayon.

When I boot the PC is loads to a desktop without Grub errors or a black screen with flashing cursor.

The wifi connects and stays connected

Launching Dolphin actually opens the files

Programs start without ‘has encountered a mystical error’ fault

Copying stuff while updates or other processes are running doesn’t freeze the desktop or make the panel disappear

When I add the weather widget it starts and doesn't throw up a missing dependency message

I can disconnect my external drives without enduring an ad infinitum ‘busy’ message

When I switch off I don’t need a packed lunch to watch it shutting down

I did encounter an issue with Gnome whereby the new mail indicator extension did not function but switching to KDE fixed that so all I can say is thankyou.

joost
Sagely Hen

Re: Trial results

Post by joost » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:43

"new mail indicator"

I suspect this is a GNOME extension that isn't maintained in Entropy.
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

PrimeSuspect
Baby Hen

Re: Trial results

Post by PrimeSuspect » Wed Nov 06, 2019 13:50

No doubt you are right. I'm not exactly sure how the relationship with distros/extensions works. All I know is it installed fine from the gnome.org extensions list but refused to indicate any new messages no matter which email client was used.