Is there (still) a HDD shutdown issue?

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Is there (still) a HDD shutdown issue?

Postby Ron.W » Fri Jul 27, 2007 14:14

Hello,

has this hdd shutdown issue got fixed with Sabayon 3.4? In 3.2, 3.3 I have this strange "pop" sound on poweroff shutdown my laptop (wich is not on suspend, and also not when shutting down from any MS-OS), and right now I've found out, what this strange sound (which is also present when using knoppix or other linux-distris) really means: The HDD performs an emergency exit:

http://linux-ata.org/shutdown.html

There can be read, that some distris do not suffer from this, and I'd like to know, whether Sabayon 3.4 is secure on this behalf. New kernels are supposed to handle this correctly, so I think Sabayon 3.4 shouldn't have this issue anymore, shouldn't it? I am sorry I can't check this with 3.4 right now myself, since my Laptop is turned in for repair these days, which makes it also impossible for me to seed the sabayon-torrent currently :(

Until now, I didn't pay any regard to this pop-sound, but after reading this piece of information I think it was/is actually an issue on my laptop when using sabayon, at least 3.2/3.3 after all what is known about this...

Greetings,
Ron.
Ron.W
Simple Hen

Postby edgevision » Fri Jul 27, 2007 14:16

It's difficult to tell, as it would depend on the model. Although, if it offers you any peace of mind, I have tested Sabayon across multiple machines (desktops and laptops) and have never encountered such an issue. ;)
edgevision
Growing Hen

Re: Is there (still) a HDD shutdown issue?

Postby Ron.W » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:35

Well, I'm on 3.4f meanwhile, and I have still this very issue. Is there a known workaround in sabayon for the plop-off of the harddisk on shutdown?

Other distros have the same issue, and it was discussed there ever since.
E.G. here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/li ... mments/102

They have written it would have been fixed for all distros with kernel 2.6.22. but I have the same problem in sabayon prof.

Now I am urgently looking for a way to solve this problem.

In another forum I found a script which solves the problems often, but it is not for gentoo. Can anybody help me to "translate" the description for the use in sabayon?

create a textfile named hdd-shutdown-workaround and copy the following lines:
#!/bin/sh
echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_disk/0\:0\:0\:0/stop_on_shutdown

After this chmod +x hdd-shutdown-workaround, and then put this file into /etc/init.d directory.
Last step is to create a symbolic link with
ln -s /etc/init.d/hdd-shutdown-workaround /etc/rcS.d/S99hdd-shutdown-workaround

Is there a chance this will work in sabayon also?

Greetings
Ron.
Ron.W
Simple Hen

Return to Hardware