Any tablet pc users out there?

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Postby razor1394 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:11

I'm running Kubuntu 32bit on my tx1020 and the biggest problem I have is that I can't shut down properly but that's easily solved with ALT-SYSRQ. Another problem is that the text zigzags when notetaking in portrait mode but landscape works fine. I really recommend Kubuntu for this laptop.

Remember that battery life is really bad with this laptop so if you're going to sit through a long lecture without access to a power outlet you should look at another laptop. That's the biggest downside I can find on this one.
razor1394
Growing Hen

Postby edgevision » Tue Jul 31, 2007 19:32

Right on. I don't really need tablet functionality anyway; was just looking into it.
Thanks very much for the information you've provided. I've seen Kubuntu in use and would prefer to stay away from it. :D
The dv series looks promising. Sexy, too.
edgevision
Growing Hen

Hmmm still dloading on my 128k line...

Postby rajivenator » Fri Aug 03, 2007 20:03

by tht tymi checked pclinuxos works fine ...but no sound and touchscreen...
rajivenator
Baby Hen

Re: Any tablet pc users out there?

Postby razor1394 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 21:27

There has been a lot of progress with the latest editions of some distros on this laptop since the last time. With the previous versions of Sabayon you had to press the powerbutton in the beginning of the booting process for the boot to continue. Wifi works almost perfectly (except wpa2?). Touchscreen was very easy to setup in Gutsy with the proprietary EETI driver (not many people who use the open evtouch driver anymore). It broke in Hardy but now there's a new beta driver available: http://210.64.17.162/web20/TouchKitDriv ... Driver.htm . Fingerprint should work with the open fprint driver, http://www.reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/Main_Page . I have only tried entering my prints with it in the database but recognition on login didn't work. This was on Hardy and I think that it will work better on Gentoo because there's even a Gentoo project for it. Sounds works fine out of the box thanks to the latest alsa drivers. However on most if not all distros I've tried the display gets corrupted during shutdown or after the screen wakes up from sleep. I think this is the biggest problem I have currently. I think the solution is to disable the framebuffer but I haven't tried yet. This bug seems to have been introduced in one of the later kernels or nvidia drivers.
razor1394
Growing Hen

Postby razor1394 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:41

Workaround for the corrupton was to change vga=791 to vga=normal thus disabling the framebuffer. I have a new 8cell battery as well which gives me a bit more time than the 6 and 4cell. Now onto screen rotation and tablet applications.

edit:

Forgot to install the eeti driver as well.
razor1394
Growing Hen

Postby razor1394 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 0:33

EETI touchscreen driver works well but the corruptions came back so now I've installed the latest nvidia drivers from Portage (not in Entropy yet) and haven't seen them since. I've installed an app called cellwriter which is currently the best handwriting recognition app available for GNU/Linux at the moment. Next step is to make cellwriter appear at kdm and install some journal apps (last time I checked none or maybe just one existed in Portage). I need to fix the screen rotation as well (xrandr?).
razor1394
Growing Hen

Postby razor1394 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 22:10

I installed xournal and I've used it before. It's a pretty good notetaking app. I got cellwriter to show up at login by entering this into /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/Xsetup :

Code: Select all
cellwriter –keyboard-only –window-y=600 &
exit 0

from here:

http://timelady.com/blog/howtos-technic ... ons-howto/

However now Cellwriter doesn't quit when entering the desktop.

I'm also having freezes and instant reboots. I forgot to say that.
razor1394
Growing Hen

Previous

Return to Hardware