Plasma desktop will not load after install

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Witbier
Baby Hen

Plasma desktop will not load after install

Post by Witbier » Thu Mar 22, 2018 14:02

After being seriously impressed by Sabayon on my netbook, I decided to replace Fedora on my desktop PC. Unfortunately it is NOT going well.
My first attempt at an install broke after the first upgrade. So I have just done a fresh install with the latest build. Everything worked OK on the live CD, except only one monitor worked, but I thought I would fix that after the install. However, after the installation was complete it would only boot to the command prompt. Attempting to 'startx' just opened the basic command windows.

I don't want to try any updates or other experimentation without further advice, in case I make things worse. Oh and yes, it does have an NVidia graphics card.

gentmixer
Simple Hen

Re: Plasma desktop will not load after install

Post by gentmixer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 23:40

Hi...
Please, give a bit more detailed info about your hardware... (Have you only one card? Maybe your card requires legacy or quadro drivers? Have you some second integrated card from Intel on your motherboard also?)
The first impression:
You are trying to run "X" before installing proper drivers for your card... You should use "equo". Don't worry, it's not dangerous. You should run "equo update" in terminal and "equo install nvidia-drivers". Equo will install all dependencies also. Remove of course open source drivers (equo remove xf86-video-nouveau). Run "startx" but better simply make reboot... and wait...
Have you installed the last stable Sabayon or "nightly" or "weekly" build? Maybe some mismatch between kernel and drivers in the newest experimental builds?

Witbier
Baby Hen

Post by Witbier » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:01

Thank you for the reply, my lspci output is as follows:

Code: Select all

# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (ext gfx port 0)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [IDE mode]
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:12.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
03:05.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8185 IEEE 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 20)
Before getting your reply I did an equo upgrade, which took over 8 hours! After I was able to boot into the X desktop with the nice new orange spiral wallpaper. However, it was obvious that the graphics was not set up correctly. So i did equo install nvidia-drivers but that did not improve things. When I try to load the Nvidia settings I get
You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

Code: Select all

sabayon /home/user # /usr/bin/nvidia-settings

ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

ERROR: Error querying enabled displays on GPU 0 (Missing Extension).

ERROR: Error querying connected displays on GPU 0 (Missing Extension).

ERROR: nvidia-settings could not find the registry key file. This file should have been installed along with this driver at
       /usr/share/nvidia/nvidia-application-profiles-key-documentation. The application profiles will continue to work, but values cannot be prepopulated or
       validated, and will not be listed in the help text. Please see the README for possible values and descriptions.
sabayon /home/user # nvidia-xconfig
bash: nvidia-xconfig: command not found
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Witbier
Baby Hen

Post by Witbier » Sat Mar 24, 2018 13:44

Well, things are progressing! I only now noticed you comment 'Remove of course open source drivers...'. So i did that and now both monitors work. It is all very sluggish though, but that is probably another story!

gentmixer
Simple Hen

Post by gentmixer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 13:50

Have you uninstalled "nouveau" drivers? Uninstall... These block a propietary "nvidia-drivers" (don't work together)... Have you installed "nvidia-userspace"? Check your kernel and drivers version compatibility... Install and run "rigo" and check... You have probably kernel "linux-sabayon-4.15.10"... You should have "nvidia-drivers-390.25#4.15.0-sabayon" and "nvidia-userspace-390.25"...
And you can downgrade your kernel and the rest of this stuff... I use actually "linux-sabayon-4.14.25"...

Install eventually "sabayon-sources" for your kernel version and the latest "headers" ... and recompile "nvidia" stuff in a Gentoo way... Install "Porthole" (gui for emerge) and update "Portage" (sync)... But it will be longer learning way...
Last edited by gentmixer on Sat Mar 24, 2018 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

gentmixer
Simple Hen

Post by gentmixer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 13:52

I sent previous advice at the same moment...
Congratulations!
Play a bit with "nvidia-settings" now...

Witbier
Baby Hen

Post by Witbier » Sat Mar 24, 2018 15:17

Thank you, i have everything installed that you suggested except Sabayon sources. installing that now.

gentmixer
Simple Hen

Post by gentmixer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 15:42

"Audaces fortuna iuvat"... Yes, but learn else before start Gentoo stuff...

...and few words more for explaining the problem:
The kernel should have loaded video modules before "startx". These come from drivers... If you have installed "nouveau" drivers, the modules from "nvidia-drivers" are blocked and viceversa... Most probably you have installed "modprobe" in your system. You can check on the fly which module is loaded. Run as root "lsmod"... You may load or unload the modules: "modprobe (module)" and "rmmod (module)... ("insmod" works somewhat differently, with "path"). You can install TWO different drivers but you should have loaded ONE set modules only... Then you must load the modules manually and update "xorg.conf" ... Simpler is to have ONE set video drivers or (eventually) blacklisted some modules.

Witbier
Baby Hen

Post by Witbier » Sun Mar 25, 2018 15:14

Thanks for this, everything seems to be working OK except that KDE is really, really sloooow! Much slower than my experience with KDE on Fedora on the same machine. So I have switched to XFCE which is super slick! I am guessing that for some reason Sabayon + KED + Nvidia is not a good recipe!