Is there any patch for Intel leak - and is it ...? [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Is there any patch for Intel leak - and is it ...? [Solved]

Post by linuxfluesterer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 20:33

Hally guys.
You've surely heard about the ''Kernel-memory-leaking Intel processor design' on Intel chips since 20 years now.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/0 ... sign_flaw/

I just want to know, is there already a patch for Linux / Sabayon / Gentoo to fix this bug?

But more I'm interested in knowing, am I personally on my private desktop, affected by this bug?
Do I need a patch?
How much I will be affected with reduced processor or system speed at all?

Thank you in advance.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE...)
Last edited by linuxfluesterer on Sun Jan 07, 2018 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Is there any patch for Intel leak - and is it necessary?

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 18:35

See Gentoo Linuxs Forums thread: Intel Kernel Memory Leaking. I suggest just waiting until the kernel is updated. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. And, yes, with the fix there will likely be a reduction in performance depending on what you are doing; see the following articles in The Register (especially the second one):

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02 ... sign_flaw/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/04 ... notations/
The Register wrote:It really boils down to – as we said, and Intel pointed out – your workload. If you just play games on your PC, you will not see a slowdown, beyond any delays caused by file loading, because the software rarely jumps to the kernel during gameplay. Your game will be mostly talking to the graphics processor.

If all you do is browse Twitter, write emails, and type away in a word processor, you probably won't notice any difference. If you do a lot of in-memory number crunching, you won't see much of an impact because again the kernel isn't getting in the way. If you have PCID support enabled on your hardware and in your kernel, any performance hit should be minimized.

If you hammer the disk, the network, or use software that makes lots of system calls in and out of the kernel, and you're lacking working PCID support, you will see a performance hit. And it's a good idea to warn you, right?

It's a given for this particular issue that any slowdown is dependent upon the kind of work the affected system is being asked to do. Gamers will maintain their frame rates, but that's not what this is about. It's about enterprise workloads and data centers. With reports of SQL database slowdowns of up to 20 or so per cent, it seems premature to say the impact should not be significant. If a company's AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud bill ends up being, say, three, five or eight per cent higher as a consequence of prolonged compute times, that's significant.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: Is there any patch for Intel leak - and is it necessary?

Post by linuxfluesterer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 14:23

Thank you for reply, Fitz. The first theregister link I already put in my thread, the second one you've posted here, is a nice, funny stuff.
I'll close this thread as [Solved].

O.T.: To be honest, I have more serious trouble with my system, I have serious problems with sddm.
Maybe I will start a new thread for this topic at another time.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Re: Is there any patch for Intel leak - and is it ...? [Solv

Post by msdobrescu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 18:25

Actually, I have the same problems too.