Grub install failure on MacbookPro [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

shaytaan
Baby Hen

Grub install failure on MacbookPro [Solved]

Post by shaytaan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 22:25

Hi all,

I am trying to install Sabayon 16.11 on am 2010 MacbookPro. All goes well until the final grub installation, where it fails. I tried installing it manually, but i keep getting the same error: grub2-install: error: cannot find efi directory
My partition setup is using LVM, but I have the volumes active and mounted before chrooting into the installed env.
From there I tried running grub2-install with the various options, specifying the efi directory, the target arch etc... But no hope, I keep getting the same message: grub2-install error cannot find efi directory
I have installed openSuse and CentOS on the same machine successfully, so I am pretty sure it has to be a setting somewhere which is failing, not incompatibility.
Can any one help with some advice, please?
Last edited by shaytaan on Tue Feb 21, 2017 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

shaytaan
Baby Hen

Re: Grub install failure on MacbookPro

Post by shaytaan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 14:21

Ok, I managed to figure it out and install grub.
The issue is better explained here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1114808
Seems the grub2-install script copies the core.efi file to the wrong location.
I copied the file manually and generated the grub config and it worked, system boots.
Hope this will help anyone else in this situation or encounters the same error.