QHD display and dedicated nvidia graphics card

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

popeye
Baby Hen

QHD display and dedicated nvidia graphics card

Post by popeye » Wed Mar 16, 2016 20:41

I am a dedicated linux amateur and a photography hobbyist.
Planning to upgrade my laptop so as to accomodate for the better displays, which helps me edit my photographs. Am browsing for a QHD display laptop, which is often bundled up with a dedicated graphics card
Will sabayon or for that matter any linux distro support and recognise these displays for darktable and gimp? Not to add the support for the graphics cards as well...
If linux might not help, guess i'll unhappily have to switch to a mac... :(

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: QHD display and dedicated nvidia graphics card

Post by wolfden » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:19

The best thing would be to take the specs and see if they are supported by the driver. For instance, for nvidia cards that linux supports:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... dix-a.html

If you do a google search QHD display gentoo, one finds that people are able to use it.

What kinda photography are you into? I'm into photography also, mainly portraits and landscape. I shoot a canon 60D wanting to upgrade, but not sure to go canon 80D or switch to sony a6300. The sony sensors are just fantastic. I do however use windows 8 for all my photo importing and editing as I love my adobe products.

popeye
Baby Hen

Post by popeye » Fri Mar 18, 2016 16:24

@wolfden
thanks..
browsed through, and found that nvidia graphics card are supported
however, there does seem to be an issue with the display screens... guess, i might stick to perhaps a FHD screen rather than QHD screen.. I'll see how it adds up
I am into wildlife photography, and use a canon eos7d.. and have been using darktable and geeqie for my photoediting.. BOth of them are pretty amazing packages.. And for your photography, gimp would be easy as well... gimp can be configured to look like adobe too... HOwever, since you are used to adobe, guess its better you continue with it..
I would suggest the new canon eos 7d mark II... its with the new digic 3 sensor... Though its a wee costly..

anomaly65
Technological Hen

Post by anomaly65 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 23:20

Hi popeye,

What cable type are you using to connect? HDMI won't support QHD in the <=1.4 version as I recall. I've got mine (dual displays) connected with displayport connectors and all is well.

Good luck!
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)