Unable to mount LG phone storage. [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

heathen
Growing Hen

Unable to mount LG phone storage. [Solved]

Post by heathen » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:58

I just replaced my samsung Straight Talk phone with the little LG Optimus Fuel with Android 4.4. When I plug it in via USB my computer see's it but won't mount it. I'm running SL 14 KDE on a pentium 2020m. I've never used Bluedevil before and tried it, but nothing happens when I click on it, but I'd rather use USB anyways. I can mount the SD card directly in the SD card drive in the computer, but I'm gonna get tired of having to take the SD card out of the phone to access it every time. Is there anything specific I need to do with this LG that i can't find, or something i need to install, to get this thing to mount?
Last edited by heathen on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:16, edited 1 time in total.
just wandering around and poking stuff with sticks...

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Unable to mount LG phone storage.

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 14:04

Try installing sys-fs/mtpfs (it's in the Entropy repositories). See the Gentoo Wiki article MTP for how to use it.

Unfortunately SL does not have the package kde-misc/kio-mtp in the Entropy repositories, but it works nicely with KDE in Gentoo for me and enables file drag-and-drop in Dolphin. You could file a request for it to be added to the Entropy repositories (see the link Bugs at the top right of this page).

If your Android phone and home router have WiFi support, you could install KDE Connect on your PC (kde-misc/kdeconnect in the Entropy repositories) and KDE Connect on your Android phone. It works really well (and is much faster than Bluetooth).

Bluetooth is broken in KDE after the Bluez developers changed the design of the Bluez package (Bluez-4 worked fine with BlueDevil-1.* but Bluez-5 and BlueDevil-2.* don't work).

EDIT (29 July 2014): Just for the record, for users of OpenRC such as myself, bluez-5.21-r1 fixed the problem in KDE, so I can again transfer files to and from my mobile phone and my laptop via Bluetooth: Gentoo Forums - someone got bluetooth running ?? However, that was a Gentoo bug in the Bluez ebuild which should only have affected users of OpenRC (i.e. bluez merged with USE="-systemd"), so it should not have affected SL users, who use systemd not OpenRC. Bluez in SL is currently at version 5.18 in the Sabayon Weekly Entropy repository, so I wonder if that has something to do with Bluetooth not working for SL KDE users. Or is it working these days for SL KDE users?

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Sun Jun 29, 2014 15:31

I'm using SL 64bit KDE 4.13.2, Kernel 3.15, with last upgrades from yesterday.
Until kio-mtpfs is part of Entropy, you can integrate and download a Debian package of this modul from here:
http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-14.04/ubuntu-uni ... 4.deb.html
At least, a deb package is a package, which can be made accessable and copyable by this command (as root):

Code: Select all

ar -x kio-mtp******.deb
Then you'll receive a file similar this:
data.tar.gz or data.tar.xy
When you then unpack this file (very easy as root or normal user with the midnight commander, mc) by highlighting it and pressing <Enter> then you can extract the tree structure (most with /usr) to your own Sabayon structure.
I've just tried it. I'v connected my Galaxy Note 3. In Dolphine then there is a new (phone) device entry on the left side, where you can click on. Yes, I can move files from phone to laptop by drag'n drop and vice versa. But my transfer was interrupted when copying from laptop to phone. There was one file, a movie at 1.1GBytes of 5.1 GBytes, another file went better, 1.3 Gbyte of 1.3 GBytes.
In addition, too, I have installed go-mtpfs, a command line tool to send files from laptop to phone (I'm not sure, vice versa also). This works rather good and fast. But also here seems to be an absolute limit of 4GBytes filesize when sending. This might be restricted by Android, but not due to the filesystem of Android.
Anyway, a bluetooth connection works now also, but is as wireless too slow (at least for bigger files). For simple photos, bluetooth is convenient.
Hope to help you.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:45

linuxfluesterer, did you try installing kio-mtp via Portage first before resorting to using a Debian package? KDE is at 4.13.2 in both Gentoo and SL at the moment, so it should hopefully not pull in anything else, but you could try and see:

Synchronise your Portage database and ebuilds with the Portage main tree repositories:

# emerge --sync
Install the package:

# emerge -1av kio-mtp
Alternatively, you could install the live package from the Gentoo Portage KDE Testing overlay, as follows...

Mask the overlay to avoid pulling in any unwanted packages:

# cat /etc/portage/package.mask | grep kde
*/*::kde
Install Git if you don't have it installed already, as the KDE overlay uses it:

# equo install git
Synchronise your Portage database and ebuilds with the Portage main tree repositories and KDE overlay repository:

# emerge --sync && layman -S && layman -a kde
Unmask the package:

# cat /etc/portage/package.unmask | grep kde
kde-misc/kio-mtp
# cat /etc/portage/package.keywords | grep kde
=kde-misc/kio-mtp-9999 **
Install the package:

emerge -1av kio-mtp

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:22

Hallo Fitz.
Fitzcarraldo wrote:linuxfluesterer, did you try installing kio-mtp via Portage first before resorting to using a Debian package? KDE is at 4.13.2 in both Gentoo and SL at the moment, so it should hopefully not pull in anything else, but you could try and see:
Alternatively, you could install the live package from the Gentoo Portage KDE Testing overlay, as follows...

Mask the overlay to avoid pulling in any unwanted packages:

# cat /etc/portage/package.mask | grep kde
*/*::kde
Unmask the package:

# cat /etc/portage/package.unmask | grep kde
kde-misc/kio-mtp

# cat /etc/portage/package.keywords | grep kde
=kde-misc/kio-mtp-9999 **
Do you mean
/etc/portage/package.mask/00-sabayon.package.mask,
/etc/portage/package.unmask/00-sabayon.package.unmask and
/etc/portage/package-keywords/00-sabayon.package.keywords
?
Because there is no /etc/portage/package.mask file and the other two files, you've mentioned are missing also.
I would like to know, how much additional space will be needed for implementing portage and syncronizing with emerge? I mean, I would like to add only specified packages to my system. Could you tell me, pls?

Thank you in advance.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:40

No, I didn't mean those, but, if they are the only ones present, then you could use those instead as they are also allowed in Portage (see the Gentoo Wiki article Knowledge Base:Masking a package). As to your second question, I have no idea, as I have never bothered to check. But if you only want to add specific packages to your system, why are you unpacking Debian packages manually and copying them into directories? That's a rhetorical question, BTW. ;-)

If you're worried about installing anything using Portage, then don't try what I suggested. If you are curious and want to learn something (i.e. how Gentoo works and how SL uses Gentoo), you could install SL in VirtualBox and try it in that instead. It's entirely up to you.

heathen
Growing Hen

Post by heathen » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:43

Thankyou guys. I decided to try the KDE Connect first, it looks kinda cool. But I'm having a hard time getting it to work. They're connected and pinging each other successfully, but the mobile is listing pluggins for selecting but saying "pluggins failed to load". Notifications are syncd, firewall is disabled. Pinging seems to be the only thing it can do.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:47

heathen, see the part about UFW in my blog post: KDE Connect – Link your Android device to your KDE desktop. You will need to configure it to allow tcp and udp traffic via a specific range of ports. Try that to see what happens.

EDIT: Overlooked your comment about the plug-ins failing to load. Try rebooting your phone.

heathen
Growing Hen

Post by heathen » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:15

Thankyou!! So far it's working now. I set the allowances for the ports you listed, refreshed and pinged again, tried transferring a couple photo's and had someone text me to see if the notifications worked and so far it all seems to be working fine. Thankyou again! :)

heathen
Growing Hen

Re: Unable to mount LG phone storage. [Solved]

Post by heathen » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:31

Sidenote: Some pluggins still aren't working, like the multimedia controller and mouse controller, but apparently a new version just came out (0.7) yesterday and it's not available in the main or weekly repo's yet. So the version on the computer is older (0.5.2.1) and the one on the phone is the newest one. There's a .tar available on the authors blog, but I think I'll wait until a more stable version is available in the weekly repo.