Canon PIXMA MX452 Wireless issues

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Canon PIXMA MX452 Wireless issues

Postby snatale42 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 15:32

Hey guys I recently switched to SL from Ubuntu and so far everything is great except my printer. Canon provides Linux drivers as either .DEB, .RPM or Source. I tried installing from source but from the readme's it seems their source is only set up to compile into either DEB's or RPM's which makes no sense. I've tried to add the printer by IP and by using the PPD I found in the source pkg but nothing works. When I'm in the CUPS server it will add, say it prints but it never does. When I try to add the printer from the GUI it never allows me to click the apply button at the end, not sure if thats an indication of something wrong or not.

I searched the forums and tried following the directions from others with PIXMA series printers and haven't gotten anywhere. I don't know where to start at this point.

This is where I'm getting the Linux drivers for my series if that helps
http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/P/se ... g_os=Linux

The US site doesn't have them. Any help is GREATLY appreciated
snatale42
Baby Hen

Re: Canon PIXMA MX452 Wireless issues

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 17:21

Support for Canon printers is not as good in Gentoo and Sabayon. Many Canon printers are supported (including my MP510 and MP560), but I don't know of any package for your specific model or for the MX450 Series. However, if you are prepared to part with some cash, you could try the commercial TurboPrint 2 driver (tgz version) for Linux:

http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_ ... X450series

I think they have a try-before-you-buy policy, but I have never used their driver, so am not sure.

If you had another model, the thread Canon Pixma? might have helped.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Canon PIXMA MX452 Wireless issues

Postby snatale42 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 19:47

Thanks, but I wound up going to Mint. Sabayon seemed like an awesome distro, very fast but I have to assume if it can't drive a common series printer at some point I'll have other issues with it. I gave that TurboPrint thing a try with no luck. I'm sure something could have been done with the source that Canon provides but I have no clue how to. To me it seemed that the source they provide is preset to compile into either RPM or DEB, which they already provide. Maybe I'll give it a try in a future version when hardware support is better.
snatale42
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware