grub2-mkconfig ask for zfs

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

grub2-mkconfig ask for zfs

Postby imaginasys » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:47

Hi,

I get the followings messages many times each time I use grub2-mkconfig :

Failed to load ZFS module stack.
Load the module manually by running 'insmod <location>/zfs.ko' as root.
Failed to load ZFS module stack.

My disk is partitionned with gpt : I have : /boot : ext2 ; EFI boot ; EFI bios; swap; /dev/sda4 is btrfs with subvolumes for / and/home ; Also I have a gentoo and a funtoo OS on 2 other btrfs subvolumes; I use the same /boot for all OS but I only use sabayon to manage it; I have the same /home for all distro with differents users ;

Absolutely no ZFS nowhere. So why would grub-mkimage want to load the zfs module ????

My OS is :
# uname -a
Linux zeus.VIDEOTRON.CA 3.12.0-sabayon #1 SMP Tue Dec 3 15:10:14 UTC 2013 x86_64 AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

I have sys-boot/grub-2.00-r5 installed and I'm using KDE as WM.

Regards,

Bernard
imaginasys
Simple Hen

Re: grub2-mkconfig ask for zfs

Postby heindsight » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:30

This is nothing to worry about.

To build up the grub boot menu, grub has to check all the file systems on your hard drive to look for operating systems to add to the menu. As part of this process it probes each partition to determine its file system. When grub tries to test for zfs, the kernel tries to load the zfs kernel module (because it needs it to read zfs filesystems). Since you don't have the zfs module installed, this produces an error. It's not a problem though, because you don't have a ZFS filesystem anyway and the probe continues and ends up correctly identifying your filesystems.
heindsight
Baby Hen

Postby imaginasys » Wed Dec 18, 2013 18:12

Thanks for the info, I was puzzled about the state of my disk partition table. I thought that grub had detected a zfs because of corruption on the disk ... Isn't any way to probe the disk some other way or not showing those errors in order to avoid confusion ? Is it just me ???

Regards,
Bernard :mrgreen:
imaginasys
Simple Hen

Postby tek640 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 18:22

imaginasys wrote:Thanks for the info, I was puzzled about the state of my disk partition table. I thought that grub had detected a zfs because of corruption on the disk ... Isn't any way to probe the disk some other way or not showing those errors in order to avoid confusion ? Is it just me ???

Regards,

Don't worry, you are not alone :mrgreen: . Same error for me too.
tek640
Young Hen

Postby heindsight » Wed Dec 18, 2013 19:03

imaginasys wrote:Isn't any way to probe the disk some other way or not showing those errors in order to avoid confusion ?

Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately. You'll just have to learn to ignore them.
heindsight
Baby Hen

Postby Provia » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:21

imaginasys wrote:Thanks for the info, I was puzzled about the state of my disk partition table. I thought that grub had detected a zfs because of corruption on the disk ... Isn't any way to probe the disk some other way or not showing those errors in order to avoid confusion ? Is it just me ???

Regards,

To solvee this problem you need to install the zfs kmod package for your kernel that, in your case, is the 3.12.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby heindsight » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:17

Provia wrote:To solvee this problem you need to install the zfs kmod package for your kernel that, in your case, is the 3.12.

Sure, but why install a module you don't need (especially one that taints the kernel), just to get rid of some harmless warnings?
heindsight
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware