Ati proprietary drivers on Sabayon

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Ati proprietary drivers on Sabayon

Postby tomsailor » Sun Nov 24, 2013 20:10

Hello everyone.
I have a computer with video card ATI HD 4550 connected to a TV via an HDMI cable.
I installed Sabayon 13.08 on pc.
I realized that to hear audio on TV via the HDMI output I need to install the proprietary drivers from Ati.
I downloaded the drivers from the AMD website (for my video card is the version 13.1) and tried to run the installer on Sabayon with the new kernel.
Unfortunately with kernel 3.7, 3.11, and 3.12 the installer returns errors during installation.
The only kernel with which the Ati installer does not give errors is the 3.4.0-server.
On the same computer I also installed Fedora 16 with kernel 3.1 and I was able to successfully install the Ati drivers.
However, with the new release 19 of Fedora, the proprietary drivers were not compatible.
I said that, with the kernel 3.4.0-server on Sabayon, driver installation is successful (no errors).
However, once the operating system starts the X server does not start: I have a black screen with the login prompt in text mode.
I kindly ask the help of someone experienced . I thank all the readers of this forum.
tomsailor
Baby Hen

Re: Ati proprietary drivers on Sabayon

Postby tomsailor » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:49

P.S. I downloaded the ATI drivers from this page:
http://support.amd.com/it-it/download/d ... 2&os=Linux% 20x86_64
I did not realize that it says that the driver is copatibile with the kernel up to version 3.4 and xorg up to version 1.12.
By running from terminal the command "X -version" I found that I installed xorg version 1.14.2.
it is possible to downgrade xorg to version 1.12?
Searching the internet I found this page for Gentoo:
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fglrx_Quick_Switch
Does anyone have any idea for Sabayon?
It should download an older version of Sabayon and if so from where?
Can someone help me? Thank you.
tomsailor
Baby Hen

Postby svantoviit » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:28

tomsailor wrote:I downloaded the ATI drivers from this page…

Man, why don't you use the package manager?
Code: Select all
$ e search -vq ati-driver
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-13.9#3.10.0-sabayon
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-13.9#3.11.0-sabayon
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-13.9#3.12.0-sabayon
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-13.9#3.4.0-sabayon
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-13.9#3.7.0-sabayon
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-13.9#3.8.0-sabayon
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-13.9#3.9.0-sabayon

The question is, if your card is supported by the proprietary driver. Looks like it's not the case - black screen - so you have to boot in safe mode and revert the changes you did.

But anyway, even the free ati driver (x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati) supports sound via hdmi, no need to mess the way you do ;) See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#HDMI_audio
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby tomsailor » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:00

Thank you very much. I added to the kernel options radeon.audio=1 and now the sound works. All OK!!
tomsailor
Baby Hen

Postby albfneto » Fri Nov 29, 2013 21:23

these new ati-drivers not works good on ATI series 4, only with the series 5 or further.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby videOMoviEShine » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:52

Hello,

Sabayon Linux has for all those with ATI series 5 or further a unique simple Trick:

You can load the ATI Proprietary Drivers with a Sabayon Live Media already in Live Modus. On booting the Live Media choose "nomodeset" and type:

opengl=ati

=> you can check like this before installation on your disk:

If the Proprietary ATI drivers run in Live Mode = you click install to harddisk and after rebooting the Proprietary ATI drivers are already installed ... you may then want to install amdcccle (Catalyst Control Center) ... it works perfect like this, no hazzle with X-org manual Configuration !!

Best and most easy Proprietary ATI driver install method i know in Linux world !! i used this method several times = always with success !!

Have a nice day :)
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Location: ..o). I love BERLIN .(o.. ..o). BERLIN loves You.(o..

Return to Hardware