Cant install Linux to HP DV6 ?

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Cant install Linux to HP DV6 ?

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Oct 27, 2013 23:44

As the title.

I bought a new Laptop last week... Treated myself to an i7, and whored it right up. 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD for root and its own 500GB for /home, minus the DVD of course but no biggie.

Can I get ANY linux onto it?

Can I buggery!

Anyone have any clues?

I got a HP 6730 that #I have given the same treatment, and thats cool but fails with the latest Sabayon updates ( Posted help elsewhere )

So, I am currently with Mint and I dont want to stay here so help!
You know you have too much PCs when you end up Building your 3 kids a PC each, and use up bits that just happen to be "Lying about doing nothing", and the slowest one you know up, is still an I7 with 16GB and SSDs to boot from!

Spoilt gits
FatRakoon
Baby Hen

Re: Cant install Linux to HP DV6 ?

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:57

Hallo...
You want dual boot with Windows 8 or a stand alone Sabayon on your disk?
To boot a Sabayon Live from USB maybe, you'll need to disable at least 'Secure Boot' in your BIOS.
Or disable 'UEFI', then 'Secure Boot' is disabled also.
In both cases, you may try Live system. If you don't have any Windows 8, you don't need 'UEFI' to be enabled.
Then you can boot with USB memory stick and install with normal mode BIOS (no UEFI).
But if you want dual boot with Windows 8 and Sabayon (any Linux OS) then sorry, I don't know, how to do.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby FatRakoon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 16:37

Hallo... Sorry for the delay... Busy busy busy.. ( Liar )

Ok, no, no dual boot, purely linux only. I am in a lucky position to have one Laptop for each O/S.

The thing is simple.

I have enjoyed Sabayopn for some years now, purely because its been solid for me... This has had the bad side effect of not getting me to learn how to use it fully.

In the same breath however, I am recovering from a massive near fatal accident and my head is every bit as ruined as my body and I am getting very confused very easily.

I have Sabayon running 100% perfectly fine on a Desktop PC upstairs ( AMD 8320 / Gigabyte 990 Mobo / 16GB ) and this was a v10 Mate install, that has now evolved into a KDE install and is currently 13.08 equivalent and thats all been done through the Rigo installer, by my daughter no less. So, thats solid.

Similarly, I have a Samsung R60 Laptop here, thats been a solid little workhorse considering I had it originally as a stolen laptop that was smashed up and thrown into a river, and with a new keyboard, screen, battery, HD and DVD obtained over time on ebay, its never let me down ( apart from it sometimes does not start up after a restart ) and thats also running Sabayon perfectl;y fine. Its sluggish on KDE and so thats a Mate install too.

The issue I have, is irritatingly with Both my HP Laptops. One is a 2.93Ghz Core2Duo and the other an i7 and while the Core2 Laptop has Intel Graphics, the i7 has AMD/ATI 6570 Graphics and is a capable gamer and thats the one I really want Linux on.

What happened, is that its been fine for the last few months and then all of a sudden, it failed to start up through what looked like an X issue. buth with one on ATI and the other on Intel Video, thats not likely to be so. After a quick peek, I found 13.08 was out and so I tried that, but that failed to even install?

For a kick, I went back to v5.5 and again, thats was great until it did some updates? I am now sure what updates because I only tried to install Firefox, but alas for some reason, there was something like 340 or so other files that needed to come with it?

Anyway, I thought sod it, I will chuck mint onto it for a bit... I also like Mint too, but again, Mint also does the same, so itrs clearly NOT a Sabayon issue, but maybe its deeper under the hood?

The i7 has currently got Windows 8 on it only to give it a break from Linux and I am working on the Core2 again. I put Fedora on and for some strange reasons, I am not a fedora fan, I failed completely to install codecs to allow me to play MP3 and some videos, although I think that did manage to get theat fully updated, and it did not fail on me, but with an inability to install Steam, Music or Video support, or indeed even UnReal Tournament failed to install, I found Fedora to be a waste of my time.

I am now working on Debian 7 and I am a smidge iffy on that too, but at least Im getting further than I did with fedora.

I am under the impression that I should try to use the CLI to install Sabayon stuff.

But this is where I am lost entirely?

Emerge? Ok, but what?

Im only just getting to know apt-get and now I see this emerge?

Ok, lets just say I give it a fresh install, on 13.04 ( the latest that DOES work until I update )
Now, how do I update the repositories from the CLI ?
Now, how do I get the thing to install them, without using Rigo?

As a smaller test, how can I install ONLY Mozilla Firefox?

Could you help me on that?
You know you have too much PCs when you end up Building your 3 kids a PC each, and use up bits that just happen to be "Lying about doing nothing", and the slowest one you know up, is still an I7 with 16GB and SSDs to boot from!

Spoilt gits
FatRakoon
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 17:49

Regarding using the command line to install things, the command to use with SL is equo (the command for the SL package manager Entropy), not emerge (the command for Gentoo's package manager Portage). Have a read through the article Entropy in the SL Wiki.

To make sure your PC has the list (database) of all the available packages and their version(s), open a Konsole/Terminal window and log in as root user:

Code: Select all
$ su
Password: <--- Enter the root user's password
#

then use the following command:

equo update

To install or upgrade a single package and any packages it depends on (let's use firefox as an example):

equo install firefox
equo conf update

To uninstall a single package:

equo remove firefox

To upgrade (roll) all the packages and associated files to latest:

equo update # Update the Entropy database.
equo upgrade # Upgrade all packages with new versions.
equo conf update # Make sure all config files are up-to-date.

To upgrade the kernel:

# equo search linux-sabayon # Find out the version of the latest kernel image.
# kernel-switcher switch linux-sabayon-<x>.<y>-r<z> # Upgrade to latest kernel.
# eselect kernel list # Just a double-check that symlink is pointing to the latest kernel.
# eselect kernel set <n> # Where n is list number of latest kernel. Only need to do this if wrong one is selected.

Don't forget to have a look at the Entropy article in the SL Wiki. It explains command-line upgrading in detail.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:24

Brill... I just screwed it up yet again, this time I went with XFCE just in case its a KDE or MATE issue, but it just hung with a flashing cursor.

I will try these notes and get back to you ASAP

Thanks.

Spoilt gits
FatRakoon
Baby Hen

Postby FatRakoon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:20

Right here goes... Typing as I do, so lets go.

Right at this point, I have done a fresh install of Sabayon 13.8 and I have started her up once and it was fine.
I started her up a second time and I now enabled wireless and the Magneto updates thingy just came up telling me that there is 590 updates to do.
I restarted her up again, not actually doing anything but as soon as she came up with the desktop, I opened up KONSOLE

So far so good ....

su & pass = ok

equo update
Found repositories and updated. Took something like 20 seconds,. but didnt time it.

equo install firefox
Downloading and installing 91 packages ( A lot less than previous )
Downloading all seems to have gone ok - now installing
Yawn!

Ok, done that and instantly, Magneto popped up with saying 340 updates left.

So...

equo conf update
LOL - it comes back with all fine baby, nothing to do!

I like that.

Anyway, moment of truth... Shutdown and restart again after installing Firefox.

And there we are, back to square one.

The graphical screen comes up with a percentage bar, that then goes off and the sabayon logo sort of half shows up with a couple of lines and then that disappears, dropping me to a CLI

kvm: disabled by bios comes up in 2 lines

then
This is sabayon.unknown_domain (Linux x86_64 3.10.0-sabayon) 02:14:22

The last numbers obviously the time.

And the basic prompt

sabayon login:

So, using equo made no difference to using rigo then?

For a kick, I will try removing firefox since I still have access to the CLI

Dont know what it will acheive, but lets have a giggle while Im here.

This might I also add, is the same issue I get with MINT too.

But not Fedora or Suse, however I cannot install half the stuff I want in those 2 so they are NOT an option for me.

Spoilt gits
FatRakoon
Baby Hen

Postby FatRakoon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:52

Ok, so today I have spent a good bundle of hours and a couple of spare Drives, just installing and getting up to date, any, and all distros I have.

I have come up with one annoying and sad fact that was itching to get out ages ago.

Both my 2 fastest Laptops are HP
Neither of these laptops like ANY of the newer distros.

I have now done Sabayon, Mint, ubuntu, suse, fedora, backtrack, knoppix, gentoo, dream, mandriva, arch, and even crunchbang, and every single one of them installs, but then fails to start up once they have been updated.

Sadly, Fedora and Suse are not viable options for me as I failed to install steam in both of those.

My trusty old Samsung R60 is only a Pentium 1.73 but thats fully up to date and running rock solid with Sabayon with all the latest KDE gubbins and has not fallen over, so I think my only real course of action, if I dont hear from HP, is to simply never buy another HP.

I dont have this issue with any desktops either. however, in a few minutes I am going to throw Sabayon onto my new Media PC for a giggle.

Spoilt gits
FatRakoon
Baby Hen

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 18:37

For what its worth.

I found Kubuntu 13.4 and I have utterly fallen in love with it.

I have also been playing both my Linux compatible steam games, and they are all running sweet as a nut, plus, with the use of PlayonLinux, I have also been playing games that I honestly thought simply would not go on... A few failed that I expected work too mind you.

But it has for a while now, been flawless.

Until 2 days ago?

Now, I cannot for the life of me get it to work in 1650x1080 or indeed anything other than 800x600

Its flawless in 8x6 mind you.

The even more irritating thing, is that if I log out, it goes to 1650x1080 and when going back in, its at 1650x1080 until its displayed the third icon on the KDE startup sequence and then it plops back to 8x6

Bloody hell Im fed up with it all, I really am.

Now, the i7 is still win7 and I have been using the 6730b for the testing, so it could be the intel graphics that the issue there, but Im not willing to risk losing the Win7 setup as it is because its running flawlessly.

Spoilt gits
FatRakoon
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 19:32

FatRakoon, have you checked which specific video driver is in use when you have an SL installation that works? Is it the Intel driver or the open-source Radeon driver or the closed-source FGLRX driver? I don't know what is going on in your case as I don't have your hardware, but I wonder if you should mask the other video drivers in case somehow an upgrade is erroneously trying to install another driver. Have you tried booting the LiveDVD with e.g. xdriver=intel for a kernel boot parameter and, assuming it boots to a working Live environment, installing to the HDD from that and then masking the open-source ATI driver (x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati) and closed-source ATI driver (x11-drivers/ati-drivers)? Which specific model of HP Pavilion DV6 do you have? Because the model DV6-6b11ss works with Linux according to the Gentoo Wiki article HP Pavilion dv6-6b11ss.

EDIT: And, if that does not work, try adding the kernel boot parameter nomodeset (see Gentoo Wiki article Intel).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware