Help. Blinking cursor on reboot after updates

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Help. Blinking cursor on reboot after updates

Postby schick » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:03

I installed Sabayon (new user) after determining I needed nomodeset (or was it acpi off, maybe both).

My system is a HP2000 laptop. Kinfocenter shows that I have a Radeon HD 6310 (under the OPENGL list.

Looked great. I I then installed the updates via Rigo.

After rebooting I find that I can't get past a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left. While attempting to adjust boot parameters at the boot screen, I noted that while I am supposedly able to use emacs style editing (no experience), the entries seem to already contain acpi=off and nomodeset. i was under the impression from looking online that these entries might fix the issue. It appears that these entries are actually not present in /etc/default/grub

i was forced to reinstall, but am afraid to update the system as it will likely screw up again.

I am tempted to add acpi=off or nomodeset or acpi_osi=Linux (or all of them) to /etc/default/grub, but realize that I am inexperienced and could make things worse.

Please help.

As well, If I fail to make the needed changes after an update, is there method I can use to gain access the linux partition, and make changes/

Please forgive my awkwardly written appeal, it is 2 Am and my brain hurts. :oops:
schick
Baby Hen

Re: Help. Blinking cursor on reboot after updates

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:28

I have read, when this blinking cursor in the beginning appears, it should be due to a bug in the Kernel.
The solution should be to
Press the 'Fn' key + Arrow (Cursor) Right key
I must confess, I didn't have this problem, so I've never tried this.
Hope, you'll have luck anyway.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby albfneto » Sun Oct 27, 2013 17:43

ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
albfneto@fcfrp.usp.br
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 17:28

Just in case it is of help, I noticed that the LiveDVDs of the latest few releases of SL (including the Daily releases) have resulted in a blinking cursor or multi-coloured 'snow storm' on my laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650. To get around that I delete the deprecated "vga=791" from the kernel boot line and replace it with xdriver=radeon to stop the LiveDVD loading the closed-source FGLRX driver and force it to use the open-source Radeon driver instead.

So you might try creating a LiveDVD or LiveUSB from the latest Daily ISO release, boot it to see if you get the same effect as you do now, and then try switching to the open-source Radeon driver to see if that fixes it. If it does, you can then try Ctrl-Alt-F1 on your installation to switch to a TTY (or chroot from a LiveDVD or LiveUSB if you can't get to a TTY with Ctrl-Alt-F<n>), uninstall the FGLRX driver and install the open-source Radeon driver. I have not done the latter in SL for ages, but it would be something like the following:

Code: Select all
equo remove ati-drivers ati-userspace amdcccle
equo install xf86-video-ati
eselect opengl set xorg-x11
equo deptest
equo libtest
equo conf update
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 20:47

also, another easy way when booting from livedvd, select options and input "nomodeset" on the boot line. Seems to work. I'll update the longer directions when I try my next install to keep them accurate :D
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Return to Hardware