Unable to mount USB flash drives [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Unable to mount USB flash drives [Solved]

Postby Antidieu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:18

I have up-to-date Sabayon 13.08 KDE 64-bits on my system. After upgrading the system, I am no longer able to mount USB sticks from the file manager. The flash drive appears listed in lsusb but no notification shows up in the desktop.

The same was happening in Gnome. In fact, that's the reason why I changed to KDE. Seriously, WTF? So far nobody has reported it. Am I the only one with this issue? I cannot find a fix and I'm getting really pissed off. :x

P.S. My laptop does NOT have USB3.
Last edited by Antidieu on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:27, edited 2 times in total.
Gateway M-6804m (2 GiB RAM)
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250
Intel GM965/GL960
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Re: Unable to mount USB flash drives

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:21

Can you exactly tell us, which kernel do you use, especially the last number also?
You can do this with:
Code: Select all
equo search linux-sabayon#$(uname -r)

Whatch for 'installed', pls.
Thank you.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Antidieu » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:34

linuxfluesterer wrote:Can you exactly tell us, which kernel do you use, especially the last number also?

Kernel version is linux-sabayon-3.10.6.
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:50

Exactly, I had similar problems in past also, though I can't tell you, when.
But my solution was almost an older kernel from the same main line (in your cas 3.6) but a version less.
In my case I had the problem with 3.10.2, that could not mount my USB3, for example.
Then I went back to 3.10.1 kernel, which I had as backup. The directories for your kernels are
/boot
/lib/modules/3.6.0

This 3.6.0 contains the (I asume latest) status of the main line, here 3.6-r3. Then I've been waiting for next upgrade and checked again, my problem still persists. If so, then I've restore my old directories.
If I were you, I would really consider to install a newer kernel, maybe 3.7.10 or the actual one, 3.10.9-r1.
I am running kernel 3.10.9-r1 and KDE 4.11now and I have made good experiences with that construction now.
Anyway, it is always a good advice to keep a system backup before upgrad. I do it always, because I have experienced, that upgrades sometimes cause problems.

Hope to help you.

TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Antidieu » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:44

Thanks, Linuxfluesterer. As I stated above, I'm using the 3.10 kernel series not 3.6. In fact, I updated kernel from 3.10.6 to 3.10.9-r1 yesterday and now USB flash drives are mounting right again. Only problem is kernel 3.10.9-r1 introduced a new bug: keyboard Fn keys to control display brightness make quite the opposite randomly, i.e. UP key does what DOWN is supposed to do and viceversa.

So far, 3.10.x kernels have been such a nightmare on my computer :( Mainline 3.9 worked really well on my hardware. Would you recommend to downgrade kernel? Would it play nicely with KDE 4.11?
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 13:41

Hallo Antidieu.
My fault, I don't know, why I've read, you have Kernel 3.6. Sorry. However, I would not recommend to downgrade Kernel. Fortunately, I do not have the problem you've described with Fn key and controlling brightness.
I have an Acer notebook, V3-571G, where I needed to change a line in /etc/defaults/grub:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='quiet splash acpi_osi="Linux" elevator=noop'

Then I've run:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
to recreate /boot/grub/grub.cfg
And, in addition too, in my KDE 4.11 settings for the keyboard model, I've select 'Acer |Acer laptop'.
You can adopt for your computer model and call the appropriate module in a konsole as user with:
kcmshell4 kcm_keyboard

After changing and reboot my FN keys worked.
I know, it's not much, but maybe the solution really lies in the settings of your KDE.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Antidieu » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:21

My grub command line in /etc/defaults/grub is:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pcie_aspm=force acpi_backlight=vendor
and my keyboard model is set to "Laptop/notebook eMachines m68xx", it didn't help though.

I also tried kernel 3.9.11 but that didn't work either. I suppose it's a bug in KDE 4.11 where it doesn't catch key events properly, i.e. when I press Fn keys UP UP DOWN the sequence results UP UP UP, or when I press DOWN DOWN UP it results DOWN DOWN DOWN. The same happened when I tested S13.09 ISO image.

This misbehaviour occurs randomly so I can live with it as long as I'm able to change brightness. Anyway, I'm marking this thread as solved because the original problem has been fixed after kernel upgrade.

UPDATE: I have both problems described in the first post in KDE 4.11 Final Regressions.

Regards,
Charles.
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Return to Hardware