Epson BX305FW Plus installation

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Epson BX305FW Plus installation

Postby papilello » Sat Aug 17, 2013 17:24

Hallo,

I'm trying to print documents on a new printer: Epson Stylus Office BX305FW Plus.
On my MATE distribution I have CUPS, so I tried to add a new printer from CUPS web interface.
I'was not satisfied with the drivers options in CUPS, so I
    - downloaded epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.2.3-1lsb3.2.tar.gz
    - uncompressed the tar.gz file
    - chose the PPD file requested by the CUPS "add new printer" procedure: /epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.2.3/ppd/Epson-Stylus_Office_BX305_Plus-epson-escpr-en.ppd
Now the printers is still not working because I've this error:
"Epson_Stylus_Office_BX305_Plus: File "/usr/libexec/cups/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper" not available: No such file or directory".
Can anybody help me to have this printer working?
Thanks
papilello
Young Hen

Re: Epson BX305FW Plus installation

Postby papilello » Sun Aug 25, 2013 15:14

Ok, lets start from the beginning.
Adding a new printer with CUPS doesn't seem to be such an hard task; but there must be some problem with the default Epson driver, since i tried all of them and the the only time I had the pleasure to see a reaction by my printer to a print command, it was an infinite series of white papers.
So I decided to find better drivers for CUPS and I went to this page: http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Eps ... lus_Series
and I found that the driver I was looking for is one of these: epson-201109w [Driver packages: x86 32 bit: 1.0.0 (RPM for LSB 3.2) or 1.0.0 (DEB for LSB 3.2)]. Which one is better for Sabayon?
Then I went on the page: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collabor ... erpackages
to follow the instruction to install the drivers; but here I found another problem: is Sabayon an LSB compliant distribution? Or is it only LSB-3.1 compliant? Both of them or or no one?
This is the 4th printer I've in my house and no one of them was working with linux.
It's probably my fault, but can anybody help me?
Thanks
papilello
Young Hen

Postby B3rtm3n » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:11

You do not need the driver of Epson to get it working

CUPS is enough but for the moment I have a problem with CUPS as I use my Office BX635FWD as network printer (behind Netgear router).
Think it has to do with latest updates of Sabayon as with the other Linux distro it is working fine.

The network scanner XSane is working fine but it is the printer.

Do not know which additional options you want. Did you try the webinterface of your printer (IP address of your printer)

I doubt you will be able to install the drivers of Epson with Gentoo, they are Deb or RPM and you can try to install RPM Manager and install the rpm files but you will get warnings concerning missing dependencies.
I was able to use the drivers at the time when using Ubuntu in multiboot
B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Postby hugo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 23:03

I am having the same problem with a driver for Epson Stylus NX430, a wireless printer scanner. Epson-gutenprint generic driver works for printing text, but poor graphs and no scanner. The deb options are easily applied with Gdebi in Debian-based distros. For Sabayon, I am finally getting help in the Spanish Sabayon forum. Should this generous help in Spanish solve the problem, I shall report the solution in English in this or in the still unanswered help I requested for NX430 drivers. Sabayon is working fine, but departing from deb (or rpm, I imagine) does have its costs for some users.
hugo
Baby Hen

Postby hugo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 14:45

Despite several supporting efforts by abs in the Spanish Sabayon forum, I found no solution that could also be of use for the BX305. In the specific case of my printer-scanner (NX430) Epson-Seiko do offer a generic drive, one which seems to have no advantage over the generic one installed by cups-gutenprint.

Sabayon does work well for me, at least after two updates. However, departing from deb or rpm file operations seems to have unavoidable costs for some users. Maybe this will change in the future.
hugo
Baby Hen

Postby Gyges » Wed Oct 23, 2013 19:41

I've had trouble installing the driver for my RX520, too.
Here's how it worked for me:

1. Install dependencies: # equo i autoconf ocaml-autoconf automake
2. Downlad the zipped tarball of the generic Epson driver (epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.3.0-1lsb3.2.tar.gz) from Epson's website.
3. Unzip it and change into the created directory.
4. Now type:
$ ./bootstrap && ./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make
$ sudo make install
5. Open Cups administration and add your printer as usual. The driver for your printer should now be available.

Good luck!
Gyges
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware